Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lol

• 19-12-2002 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Funny in an almost morbid way.

Men from the middle East have to register in the US now (a bit like the UK Anti-terrorist form for Irish people).

Imagine the surprise when 700 of the people who come in to give details get arrested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2589317.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Next thing TV3 will be trying to get their showing of The Siege last weekend as part of their news quota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That reminds me of a Simpsons episode where outstanding traffic offenders were offered a free boat and were caught when they came in to receieve their "prize"!

Heh, on a side note I heard some time ago that the US were making all "Muslim countries" that were entering into the US to be fingerprinted! Saudi Arabia then said that if this was to happen they would consequently fingerprint all resident americans in their country. Any news on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

I think this detention of a large amount of people on very little grounds shows yet again that america isnt the height of democracy and liberty and that countries should aim higher than what america is at the moment, as I'm sure america is hopefully trying to do aswell.

Also, why is it just the men that have to register(not that anybody should have to register based on their nationality) ..... seems a bit sexist doesnt it!

seán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well in all fairness rien, these people are apparently non-legalised. Therefore they are people that are not "on the books" I guess. I am not speaking from knowledge by the way. If people want to live in america they have to abde by their "rules" I would say.

It may be sexist but it is the "law" that exists in USA. (apparently)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Gordon
    Well in all fairness rien, these people are apparently non-legalised. Therefore they are people that are not "on the books" I guess.
    I suspect it would cover people on work, study, holiday or other visas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement