Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter birdy num nums

• 19-12-2002 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

so I have a medium sized space in the back "garden" to place some niceties for the birds. I have to say - I love the birds. I really should give them something in return for listening to their bird song plateau that I occasionally listen to.

but, urm is there anything I can give them nicely?

Is there any way I can drain the fat off my frying pan when frying bacon and make them a nice wee nutty treat? Is there any way of giving them a good treat from my leftovers?

*sleepless in birdsongland*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

awwww thta was so sweet (if it was serious, im too tired to tell!). i have no idea, but i have nursed a few birds back to health when my cats got them. i think we sent my brother out to the garden to dig for worms. really. (mental image of one of those little thigns you put nuts in (the non-dirty meaning please) filled with wriggling worms-hee hee). i dont think they can eat a anything too salty as its too much for their little hearts, so the bacon fat probaby wouldnt be a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

We just give em monkey nuts, they go mad MAD I TELLS YA for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Don't birds eat bread crusts anymore?

Incidentally Gordo (and waaaay off topic)- "The Party" is my fave Peter Sellars film.

"Num num. Biiiiiiiiiiirdy num num!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Heh, haven't seen that for ages! Is that where that comes from? Need to rent it out.

Hmm so bacon = too salty? Ok I won't try that I guess.

OK, maybe I'll just give em my old bread and bran flakes :) (Hmm, now to make some sort of rain protection...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Lard and fats in general are very good for them during the winter months as they loose something ridiculous like 20% of their bodyweight on cold nights. They also get on well with potato, porridge, bread/cake and most other leftover food. The only things to avoid are dried foods which would expand when eaten (stuff like dessicated coconut, dry cereals)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah i just know from our parrot that we're not allowed give him too much salt, and bacon is quite salty isnt it? so fat used to cook bacon would be salty. I dont know, im just guessing on the bacon/salt content thingy. arent most meat's cooked in salt?

Advertisement