Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New World Trade Center Site Design Concepts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Can we not just discuss whether the building's cool or not? I like Lloyd's of London but I don't have to spit on its air ducts every time I pass it because it's the seat of former British imperial trade.

About the relatives' objection to the memorial: of all the designs, I thought Libeskind's design was the most sympathetic, interesting and meaningful entries of all. It seemed to me that all the other designs treated it as some kind of solemn theme park rather than a memorial space framing a horrible event at a specific time, in a specific place. People died there but also heroes saved people from death. All of this is kept in mind - the building tells the story, not some rollercoaster ride through 'The Ground Zero Interpretive Center and Drive-Thru Kal Kalash'.

And as for the WTC businessmen wanting more office space: tough. Now they can charge much more for it. How greedy are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Can we not just discuss whether the building's cool or not? I like Lloyd's of London but I don't have to spit on its air ducts every time I pass it because it's the seat of former British imperial trade.

Excellent point, and I agree fully. This thread is not about discussing the rights and wrongs of capitalism.

Unfortunately, the design choice itself is hardly a political issue, so if you want the thread limited to discussing the design decision, I think we should move the thread?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Move it to where? There isn't a Structural Engineering board... [Suggestion - Architecture board]

BTW I think Libeskind stole the idea for his tower from the spike. Coincidence... I think not :)

spike2.jpgspire.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,410 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    Move it to where? There isn't a Structural Engineering board... [Suggestion - Architecture board]
    It could go to Art or Humanities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Thats what U.S Companies did in our less economically developed country, but we did become a more Economically developed country as a result.
    90,000 jobs from U.S companies by 2002 did help society here, plus huge injections from the rest of the larger European Economies.
    But then I suppose, we didn't spend, spend , spend on arms , and cleverly worked the system to get us to todays position-Good on us! What a model for the rest of the world and a democracy , to boot!
    mm

We were lucky enough to be in Europe. EU membership and subsidies saved our bacon. Other nations aren't so lucky...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by bonkey
    Excellent point, and I agree fully. This thread is not about discussing the rights and wrongs of capitalism.

Unfortunately, the design choice itself is hardly a political issue, so if you want the thread limited to discussing the design decision, I think we should move the thread?

jc
    Well, space is political and so is architecture. I haven't any problem people discussing things like whether the building does justice to the wrong caused, whether it's suitable etc. The building itself could be viewed as intrinsically political - Libeskind's designs are always deeply conceptual (like his War Museum in England is an anti-war statement). Using it to criticise capitalism, in this thread, goes one step too far. If you want to move the thread, it should be moved to Humanities. Just my two cents :).

Advertisement