Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question - multiple accounts

• 19-12-2002 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Its just a simple question...

does boards.ie have a policy on people having multiple accounts, and if so, what is it and where do I find it.

Ta.

jc

p.s. I'm not looking for a flame-war, justifications, cries of oppression, or orders for beer n fastfood or sexual favours. A serious answer to the question will probably be enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There's a thread on the mod board about that altho it's not that succinct!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dislike multiple accounts and if I find two in use at the same time surruptiously I'll probably close at least one.

I really dislike accounts set up so that the user can troll under one and the other remains safe. I'd probably ban both.

That said I guess there have been times when we've let it slide because it was funny or was created for a specific reason (usually for a laugh) but they are rare. Usually bubbles :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Havn't been caught yet, must be doing something right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

cmon now DevWhore, we are wise to your many accounts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Can you guys even catch people that have multiple accounts?
    If so im impressed in youre abilities!

I post from work and also from home using the same and only account i have this one! But i could have an account in work and one at home and then how could you guys find out!

AH i know you guys cant do it and i been posting as AMP since August 1999 and no one has noticed ;p

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We dont monitor it that closely but believe me we can find people who are stupid about it.

Sure, if you are smart with internet tech you can hide pretty well... but especially with broadband we can spot multis a mile off.

Thing is, if they arent causing trouble its unlikely we'd check for them.

DeV.

OK fair enough but you have pointed out one of the few disadvantages of broadband... Static ip!

But even if some one only has one account and acts the muppet he/she gets banned and jiones with a new account and hopefully learns a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

some of them give up put there are some that see banning as a challenge and
    banning at isp level is very hard to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Not meaning to defy logic but there probably are or well have been incidents in the past were more than say two members share the same p.c, resulting in some people sharing the same ip address but are actually two genuinely dissimilar individuals. Well thats just my tuppence hapenny.

Caesar thats true, in fact we have set options to allow that to happen. We can as easily turn those options back off and ban machines rather then just accounts.

Thead, actually banning an ISP is much simpler. I put a partial IP range into the banned-ip list and everything from there will be banned. I think we banned the city of Cork once :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Funny banning the city of cork!

Fair point about the samp ip on with 2 different users using 2 IP`s. Myself and thead even use differrnt PC`s but use the same net connection so would have to kick both of us just to get to the one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by DeVore
    I think we banned the city of Cork once :)

DeV.

Keep it up. It helps us build the campaign for the development of Cork's northern coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Keep it up. It helps us build the campaign for the development of Cork's northern coast.

:D

Those tuna fishermen in Charleville will be overjoyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by spooky donkey

AH i know you guys cant do it and i been posting as AMP since August 1999 and no one has noticed ;p

Hmmm, that explains a lot. I had my suspicions but now it's seems so blindingly obvious!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thead, actually banning an ISP is much simpler. I put a partial IP range into the banned-ip list and everything from there will be banned. I think we banned the city of Cork once :)

DeV.

ok let me rephrase,
    what i should have said was using the function banning isps
    will not ban a single user as most logins are rotating ips and with dail up connections not being user tracible wiht open passwords you would have to try
    get info off a phone services provioder and do it that that way. This may thake a court order :)

Yes you can ban cork or even of connaught but just banning one person at one pc ? hard even if they have not got thier isp routed through korea .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Thaed
    or even of connaught
    Jeebus, no need to go over board...
    but just banning one person at one pc ? hard even if they have not got thier isp routed through korea .
    But they can just get a bouncer on another machine and have a new IP whenever they want. Don't need thier IP routed through Korea :) WOuld add a few milliseconds tot heir ping, but it's more flexible.

yes, theres little to stop a determined muppet from setting up random accounts every time one gets banned. The current round of IRA muppets is a good example... but we can ban accounts and we'll probably soon start to secret cookie their machines and ban machines as well. Beyond that we just keep kicking them cos its much easier for us to kick them then for them to set up accounts...

Also the mods do a great job and the signal to noise ratio here is a testament to that.
    (try going on Usenet and having the discussions we have here sometime... and I'm a big fan of Usenet...!)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

we'll probably soon start to secret cookie their machines and ban machines as well. Beyond that we just keep kicking them cos its much easier for us to kick them then for them to set up accounts...
    DeV.

I can feel bubbles coming along with a rant about that. Personally i dont like it. But since that really doesnt matter, try making it so you have to use cookies to log in, that way cookie blocking wont work. Infact cookie blocking is such a pain in the ass if they did use it they would probably get bored pretty fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Damn right

So, someone would just have to delete their cookies and therefore the 'secret' little cookie will be all gone?

Oh yah, that will stop them :) Esp now that you've told the world.

And if it doesn't delete... you're no better than Microsoft... but then again its no secret about a certain admins love towards Microsoft and Microsoft products....not naming any names, ok Regi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

yes, theres little to stop a determined muppet from setting up random accounts every time one gets banned. The current round of IRA muppets is a good example

Please ban them, or release names or something coz I'm a poster on those threads with a real interest in republicanism and how people react to it so if I'm argueing with 2 ppl when I could be argueing with 1 plz say so:)

seán

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by bubbles
    Damn right

So, someone would just have to delete their cookies and therefore the 'secret' little cookie will be all gone?

Oh yah, that will stop them :) Esp now that you've told the world.

And if it doesn't delete... you're no better than Microsoft... but then again its no secret about a certain admins love towards Microsoft and Microsoft products....not naming any names, ok Regi?

Maybe Regi is merely fighting a large monopolistic corporation with an arrogant attitude towards it's customers from within? Eh Bubbles? Know what I mean like? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Would it be posible to ban the creation of new accounts at the ISP level. That way people who allready have an account could still use it but Mr./Mrs. Muppet wouldn't be able to create any new accounts.

I dunno about that... dont think so with the current system.

VB3 has a lot more muppet-control features so I'm hoping that it will give us a hand (though to be honest its been reasonably quiet lately... just the usual background hum!)

DeV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What does "12-clicking" mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by pickarooney
    What does "12-clicking" mean?
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement