Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Residential Package, bye bye unlimited cap

Options
  • 20-12-2002 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

http://register.iol.ie/dsl/

Just noticed this from iol.ie, i'm suprised it's slipped under peoples noses.
    Speeds are up to 256kbps downstream / 128kbps upstream·
    Connection fee is €151.25 inc. VAT - Monthly fee is €59.90 inc. VAT
    Basic network terminating equipment is included ·
    There is a monthly download allowance of 4GB.*

*Esat BT reserves the right to charge 3c inc. VAT per MB for material downloaded over and above the stated monthly allowance

What looks interesting is the part about if there is enough demand from a particular area DSL will be rolled out there, i'll be registering my interest.

From what i can see it's only slightly better than Eircom's offering of ADSL at 1/2 the speed and 2/3 the price with an extra gig on the cap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Second class offering from a second class company to consumers who are delighted it isn't the third class product they're currently offered.

Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

60euro per month

It's not even half the speed for half the price. It's half the speed for more than half the price.

Esat are bigger cons that Eircom. I say we should give them as much grief as we give Eircom. So far Esat have been given some leeway, but they're getting very comfy in their little 2 man cartel.

[Edit]
    Just checked for availability. I was on Eircom's last DSL trial in Dublin, worked fine. I would imagine the area around O' Connell St and Henry St. would be quite high priority for anyone hoping to sell DSL. And yet, Esat's DSL is 'currently not available in your area.'

Nice cartel indeed.
    [/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hunkypex

From chorus cablenet:

• Unlimited sufing for a fixed monthly fee of just €50
    • Flat Rate Internet Access - no additional usage charges or download limits

Its 512 down 128 up. If i read it right cablenet is unlimited while esats dsl is limited like theres no tommorow. So it appears to me that it is possible to get good broadband in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Chorus is quite limited to a small number of people, seems to be the trend these days....

Re the cap; Arseholes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

everyone should boycott this and move away from their image of the irish consumer who'd put up with anything .. :mad: :confused:
    they could at leat give you unlimited capacity between 1am and 8am or something, anything ...
    blehhh
    depressing ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Just checked my eligibilty and I was declined ( im near one of the waterford exchanges ) ...... yet when I entered the other number we have in the house it was accepted.

Must be out of the 2.5 K range because I had to walk up the stairs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by hunkypex
    From chorus cablenet:

• Unlimited sufing for a fixed monthly fee of just €50
    • Flat Rate Internet Access - no additional usage charges or download limits

Its 512 down 128 up. If i read it right cablenet is unlimited while esats dsl is limited like theres no tommorow. So it appears to me that it is possible to get good broadband in Ireland.

Pure Vapourware, it's available in Thurles and Clonmel after getting on the phone with Chorus a few weeks ago doesn't look like it's going to be available anywhere else anytime soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

This is utterly ridiculous. This makes my blood boil. How does our government let Eircom and Esat get away with offering these substandard products?

I think Ireland Off-line are doing a great job talking to government officials etc. but it seems to me they just aren’t listening or are unwilling to take action because it might mean ruffling a few feathers. The situation is just getting worse in my opinion.

The telco’s can upgrade as many exchanges as they like, Minister Ahern can make all the promises/directives he likes but it’s no good whatsoever to the people of Ireland because it’s outrageously expensive.

I think perhaps its time to do a little marching with placards to the Dail, Eircom, wherever in protest (Please no mention of the blackout that was quite some time ago folks). The students have done it, the taxi men have done the Farmers have done it, the lorry drivers have done it and these groups have all got huge exposure in the papers. Is this problem not just as urgent?

Irelandoffline can no longer afford being dependant on word of mouth, mentions from articles tucked away in the business/IT sections of the paper or people who stumble across the IOFFL website while on line, In my opinion its just not enough anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by LoGiE

I think perhaps its time to do a little marching with placards to the Dail, Eircom, wherever in protest (Please no mention of the blackout that was quite some time ago folks). The students have done it, the taxi men have done the Farmers have done it, the lorry drivers have done it and these groups have all got huge exposure in the papers. Is this problem not just as urgent?

Irelandoffline can no longer afford being dependant on word of mouth, mentions from articles tucked away in the business/IT sections of the paper or people who stumble across the IOFFL website while on line, In my opinion its just not enough anymore.
    IrelandOffline can no longer afford being dependant on word of mouth, mentions from articles tucked away in the business/IT sections of the paper or people who stumble across the IOFFL website while on line, In my opinion its just not enough anymore. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Ok while I agree the Blackout was somewhat of a disappointment. It actually did work. The few people that did turn out for it made a huge difference. They paved the way for the rest of us layabouts. It’s also my understanding that IOFFL are working a lot more in the background than will ever be published or made public here. IOFFL cannot afford anything they are a non funded Voluntary organisation. So just give them a chance. You should know by now as far as Eircon are concerned "Overnight" means 5 years or more. IOFFL are not promising anything but they are still getting the job done. So instead of whinging at them why not join them and make a difference?

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by parasite
    everyone should boycott this and move away from their image of the irish consumer who'd put up with anything .. :mad: :confused:
    I can't see many people going for it in any case. 60 euros is still far too expensive for most people. Cap is pretty irrelevant at those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    Pure Vapourware, it's available in Thurles and Clonmel after getting on the phone with Chorus a few weeks ago doesn't look like it's going to be available anywhere else anytime soon.
    Non-capped broadband is available in Thurles, Kilkenny, Clonmel from Chorus (to about 12,000 people), Parts of Dublin 24 and 6W from NTL (to about 25,000 people) and IBB in South Dublin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by OHP
    IOFFL cannot afford anything they are a non funded voluntary organisation. So just give them a chance. You should know by now as far as Eircon are concerned "Overnight" means 5 years or more. IOFFL are not promising anything but they are still getting the job done. So instead of whinging at them why not join them and make a difference?

OHP [/B]

Whinging? Your saying I should just relax and not become agitated when ludicrous substandard products like the above are made available? Products that Esat believe we should be grateful for....

You seem to think this is an attack on IOFFL which it is not. As I also mentioned I think the committee are doing great work. I'm aware that it's a non profit and works on a voluntary basis (Although I'm not sure why you mentioned that), but perhaps that is why it's not such a crazy idea that some of it's members of IOFFL might be willing to volunteer an hour or two to make a public protest eh? Who said the background work has to stop? I didn't. I've no need to give IOFFL a "Chance" as I fully support anything the group agrees on in order to achieve IOFFL's goals. Greater public awareness is good thing remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

i agree with logie

/thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Is there any hope for this small country when small minded, greedy people are running it.
    Its not even available in my area and to be honest, while I'm still here, I have given up hope for getting broadband (real broadband, that is).
    Why is it so utterly inconceivable that we "Oirish" have a product which is competitive with all other european countries and even some former Soviet block countries, for christ sake.
    Is Eircom's/Esat stranglehold so tight that we are just pissing in the wind hoping anything radical can be done about them. Its now almost a complete joke.
    I was in a country not two months ago with a population less than that of Dublin and one seventh the size of Ireland (in land area) and it offers 640kbps dsl for €20 a month http://www.cytanet.com.cy/services/connectivity.html.

Whats wrong here????? I thought this was the sewerage umm sorry silicon valley of Europe.

By the way
    Eircom Tribunal have posted a response to Dr Nolan's plea for mercy i.e "Back Off" its worth reading and brilliant as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I'll keep it short, and to the point.

FOR
    F*CK
    SAKE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

underpowered and overpriced,

4 gb?

so if i wanna buy something online and have to download it (i.e after my proposed allocation )

i have to pay additional charges to esat ~ F**K YOU

i am able to recieve this service but wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, and will tell every single god damned person i know, and will email every god damned internet user i know to stay well clear..

and is there a yearly contract, i bet they tried to slip that one in too

i know you irish esat reps can't do anything not that you would, you take your orders and price from overseas,

i'd say people are disappointed with this,

ur asking €60 a month for 256k down / 128 up ~ 4gb cap

i'll happily wait for www.irishbroadband.ie thank you very much

and at €50 a month for 512k down / 512k up ~ NO cap

roll on the other masts thats what i say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

*vomits with disgust*

now it seems that UTV really is our only hope...

g'wan the e-hub :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Ladies and Germs,

we are gonna need a letter campaign to the Minister on this one,
    me thinks, don't get mad, lets get even.

Ths minister is giving them €9 million of the €25 million they are using for their Broadband rollout, and they a flagarentily ignoring the FLAT-RATE sentiments expressed in his recent speechs, press releases and proposals.

Lets let him know of our displeasure ... draft letters need please !

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How about a nice letter campaign like as done with the sellafield protest. All the postcards were sent at once so they would arrive on tony's doorstep at the same time. A nice big lorry load of mail should do. Maybe two to be safe. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I was planning to get this but with a cap they can forget it!:mad: There is no way in hell I'm paying money to some company for the "privilage" of a download cap. I'm definatly on for writing a leter(s) to somebody about this but I'm not good at expressing meself. If somebody wants to put up a general outline of a letter I'll definatly be sending some out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Can't you people read legalese?
    "*Esat BT reserves the right to charge 3c inc. VAT per MB for material downloaded over and above the stated monthly allowance"

That means it'll probably end up like eircoms 'cap' where no one has been charged for going over cap yet.

Also, READ THE PAPERS. Aren't the government promising to force ISP's to drive down prices in 03??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I would've taken this product - then I seen the cap.

'eircom did it, so can we' - is that it, Esat? Follow the leader?

You can stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlos

i would have considered this also... but with a cap its really a non runner

seems to me that ESAT have lost themselves a lot of business by introducing this cap

Originally posted by Tazz T
    I would've taken this product - then I seen the cap.

'eircom did it, so can we' - is that it, Esat? Follow the leader?

You can stick it.

Here's a novel idea, Tazz!! Why don't you TELL ESAT instead of moaning inconsequentially on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Of course I will. I was making a generalisation.

Anyway I'm sure the nice marketing ppl at esat are reading every posting here.

ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cannot believe my eyes :( , as an existing Eircom adsl subscriber I had made up my mind to go back to Esat and forgive and forget the SNL fiasco once my years tenureship is up...however..frankly ESAT can shove this offer where the sun doesnt shine..looks like Eircom gets to keep my business afterall :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

FFS, their database is even older than eircom's. I've got DSL for over a year - and I got the thumbs up from one of Esat's resellers only to be told on the website that DSL isn't available in my area as yet, and I should consider Netsmart - very professional, twits!

I'm dying to hear what Eth_0 has got to say when she justifies them.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just used the contact form on their site to point out this thread to them. Lets see if anything comes of it (I'm not holding my breath, though....)

I was another prospective customer that they've now lost....

- Dave.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger

I'm dying to hear what Eth_0 has got to say when she justifies them.... :)

I aint justifying anything. I just think it's a waste of time moaning here. Moan to the source of the problem.

Advertisement