Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram?

• 20-12-2002 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering how much & what type of ram people have?
    ive got 256 sd-ram, i realise this is a bit light & am gonna get some more soon. would more than 512 b overkill or is it normal to have 768 etc.

also does anyone know of any apps that would let u no what types of RAM ur mobo is capable of, as im not sure if it will take ddr?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've got 512 sd-ram running at 100mhz, i suppose its not only the amount of ram you have but also the frequency it runs. I think it is needed as i'm running though xp and then theres heavy games like ut 2003, but admittedly i had the ram ages before i had xp as i just wanted to fill the motherboard and get some improved performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

if you can get yourself a copy of "SANDRA" it will give you all the information about your motherboard. Even if you only get the model number, all you have to do is google that and you get your boards specs.

My board supports dual-ddr so i will be getting 2x256 333mhz modules to get that working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

thanx stan:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah id say 512 is fine for games like ut2003, thats what i have in my pain system DDR ram 512. I have another system that has 896 but its only pc133. But it was well able to run a dedi server for q3 and a listen server for another game at the same time due to all the ram!
    If games and the od app is all you want it for 512 should me more than enough for the next year or 2.
    Doing server stuff, you can never have enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

768 Mb of PC2100 (IR£105 at the time)

It's nice to know that my PC has only ever swapped once ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

384 running at 100mhz:(

much better than 128 i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Don't buy more ram... buy a new MotherBoard with DDR ram(256MB of DDR).. It will be way way more powerful than SD-Ram and much more future proof...

I sware by Motherboard upgrades. Nothing beats a new spine :)

hmmmmmm...how much would i be talking bout for a new top notch mobo lads? is there bundle deals on mobo & ram without a new processor?

something 2 consider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Dunno 'bout Mobo&RAM bundles, but I just bought an Abit KD7 & 256MB PC2100 DDR-RAM for ~€200 from Komplett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by PiE
    Dunno 'bout Mobo&RAM bundles, but I just bought an Abit KD7 & 256MB PC2100 DDR-RAM for ~€200 from Komplett.

got the same one myself but im using the 3200 ddr

• Advertisement

ive got a pentium 4 chip. would some1 b able to reccommend a good mobo must support ddr-ram(333), have an 8x agp & possibly on board raid?

Advertisement