Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Holding two insurance policies

Options
  • 20-12-2002 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Backround. Getting a Punto 1.2 for wife. She had a NCB for 3-4 years and stopped driving 3 years ago. Seemly her NCB is now null and void! So as she's on 3rd provisional licence and getting quotes for 2500 and cannot put me as named driver as she has no NCB. Decided that I would do better as putting it in my name and her as named driver till she passes test.

Ok. I've been told two conflicting answers.

Quoteline said they could give me a 2nd policy but I'd start without a noclaims bonus even though I have 4 years on my existing car (34 yrs,full licience 5 yrs) They then tried to get a quote and no company would quote without NCB?

Jardine refused point blank to give me a quote saying you can't hold 2 policies.

Anyone know a way around this or am I going about it the right way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Leaving a solution to the problem for someone else, can you definitely not be added as a named driver?

Last year, I had just started driving, I had no NCB and I was on a provisional licence. AXA had no problems adding girlfriend as a named driver on my policy. They even gave me some money back when she was added. is it because she's on her third provisional?

On the major question, I've been told by a few insurancy types that one person can have two policies where one is for a car and one is for a van but not for two cars (obviously unless you get insured on "any car" if you happen to have four sportscars and a runaround but I'm not to sure what happens wrt the requirement to display an insurance disc then).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think it's just those companies you spoke to that have that problem. My father had two policies in his name for years. They do tend to charge you lots for a second policy (god knows why, the greedy ****s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

My brother looked at this a few years ago when he bought a second car for the family, but really for his job.

He found that your NCB can only be applied to one car, but most Ins. Co.s will let you take a second policy out, but the only named drivers you can have is your wife.

Thats what he found, but as with all things.......your mileage may vary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Yeah. Talked to quoteline again. I have my existing policy with them(800 euro,Ford Mondeo 1.6 LX, 5 years full licience,34 yrs and 4 years NCB). They will give me another policy but they cannot get a quote off any company. I know I cannot take my NCB and am starting from scratch with a new policy but whats the story. With a clean history etc. If I can't get a quote what chance does anyone have. Eventually did get a quote of 1700 euro with PMPA! No way am I paying that. I have open drive but this excludes you from driving spouses car.

Advertisement