Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On-line jamming

Options
  • 20-12-2002 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I saw or read somewhere some time ago that this was possible.

People were connected through the internet via midi devices and they basically had a jam online.
    eg. I would have a midi'd guitar connected to internet and soundcard, my mate would have a midi'd keyboard with same setup. I would have my mates guitar inputting into a synthesiser making a guitar sound and hime - the same.

Is this being done these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm I seen an american group called Laptop Jammin' at the big chill festival in aug, basically 3 lads and 2 girls sitting along a desk with iBooks (or whatever Apples laptop is called) all connected together and just each person overlaying bits onto the track real-time, sounded absolutely brilliant, had a big projection screen chucking loads of weird synched-visual effects up as well. then again it might have only been cool cos I was completly wasted.
    anyway do a google for them and youll find out more information..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah yes, I think my mate got wasted at that same thing! You didn't meet a Ciaran Cahill by any chance did you?

Sounds interesting but that's not quite what I meant. If I have a musical keyboard - I can play a key on it and it sends the numerical data of that key press down the modem. My mate picks it up and translates that number through his synthesiser and he hears what I play.

But I'll do a search for laptop, sounds interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

no I dont recall a ciaran cahill. then again most of the specifics seem a little blurry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

probably what you're looking for is Rocket Network. They originated in online MIDI jamming and now do a ProTools/EMagic/etc type session sharing system.
    Use it myself for long distance project collaboration.

Check out 'Electronic Musician' (they have a website but can't recall the URL right now)- it regularly does features on that kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thanks shabbyroad
    http://www.rocketnetwork.com/
    seems to be the website, I'll check up on it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement