Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leeson St. Bridge

• 20-12-2002 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I walk up the canal every morning before work and evening after work. Now, I have lived in a few countries where running across roads becomes an art-form. You learn to dodge between speeding cars due to neccesity and your senses become heightened because of it.

Now, this Leeson street bridge is a death trap, it is testing my skills of road crossing to the max.Let me explain exactly where it is that I am crossing: From east to west and vice versa is where I cross. Now this is the Leeson st. side (the north side of the canal).
    link

There are no green men on this side of the bleedin' bridge. It is a death trap as pedestrians have a window of 2 seconds before couriers and motorbikes turn into Leeson st from the grand parade.

Does anyone else have to do this death walk? If so would you consider writing to the corporation? (yes I have written already, actually I will write again so I will get a .doc if anyone wishes to use it)

Oh, and if you do cross at that point - I'm the guy that sometimes wears a bright red hat! I'm such a geek!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I live right around the corner from there. I've had conversations about which side is the safest to cross. Since I've been walking across that bridge for most of my life, I think I know a thing or two about it :). And yeah, it's one of the most dangerous crossings I know of. Anyway, here's my tip, crossing from Lower to Leeson St. across the bridge:

1) Cross on the citybound side, with that B&B on your left-hand-side.

2) Cross at those traffic lights to the bridge, preferably with the green man but drivers usually don't notice that.

3) Cross that dumb slip road that forms half of that island with the shop carefully (that's the most dangerous part)

4) Walk to the next set of lights - this one's easy if you know what to look for. If the traffic, citybound, is passing you by on your right, it's safe to cross at any time. Otherwise, check to make sure the traffic coming toward you on your left is stopped.

This side has its advantages because the roads are smaller (easier to get across in a rush) and the traffic is fairly predictable. On the other side, you have a huge road to negotiate (with the small pedestrian island in the centre) and another road there the reaffic has a tendency to appear out of nowhere - which is just dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

I had to negotiate that stretch for a 3 month contract i had... my solution? Blem accross illegally on a shoddy bike from the dodgy sliproad to the north side of the canal pavement, taking care to make rude gestures at the "law abiding" car users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you crossing from Wilton Terrace to the canal tow path behind the terrace of houses on Adelaide Road?

Pedestrian crossings are provided at a number of locations - see attached if I have it right. The idea is to have pedestians cross at a different point to the main junction (where possible), although yes it is unsuccessful here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It is on this attachment with the black arrow, not very easy to see.

Yea I could take that northern looking cross over but it is a bit more of a hassle. Anyway the majority of the people are coming from the other side come down the south side of the canal (from the East) and they don't use the long way round for sure.

The council really should put green men up there because there is going to be a serious accident soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Why don't you go down Fitzwilliam Place East (perhaps cutting there through Cumberland Road) and cross there - that side is completely safe. Then you just stroll down Adelaide Road.

• Advertisement

Ye that's a good point actually... I may do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Why don't you go down Fitzwilliam Place East
    That is Fitzwilliam Place. The "East" refer to Fitzwilliam Square East.

:confused:

anyway, thanks guys!

Advertisement