Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV on the net

• 20-12-2002 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Is there sites out there where you can watch tv from your desktop?

What kind of speeds do you need and can you watch pretty much ANY channel?

Also if you dont have a TV and watch TV on your PC via the WEB, do you need a TV liscence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the basic answer is "yes". Its a little more complex then that.

Anything with the ability to show tv pictures and grab those tv-pictures from waves in the air... definitely requires a license.

There are some funny laws about tv's which CANT even do that STILL requiring licenses.

For example my TV is licensed even though the antenna connection in my TV is broken beyond repair.
    (I get my TV through Sky satelite).

That seems unjust to me...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

There used to be a legal loophole that meant you could use a monitor and tv tuner seperatly and not have to pay a TV license. Im pretty sure thats changed however expecially since the advent of VCRs with tuners.

PCs i have no idea. Im also betting the TV license guy would have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

yeah, the licence people probably are completly unaware of the whole tv card business.

Surely if you have a prog that streams it off the net then thats ok (otherwise you'd need a licence if you had realplayer or some other streaming software?!?). The whole point of tv licence is to pay for RTE and all that cr@p, isn't it? So unless they stream stuff over the net (RTE) or unless you have some hardware that can tune into the radio signals they can't make you get a licence for that. But then again if they did stream stuff over the net and expect everyone to get a licence who has access to it (ie. the whole world) I think that might be a bit silly :p

or am I way off?

Ape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I have heard that they check. If they see any form of aerial in - they see that as enough proof. If you have a video with no telly - it has an aerial in - you pay licence.

They would check your pc I'm fairly sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

ahhhh, but if you were watching tv on the net there would be no aerial and if you were doing tv out from you pc, it would be a s-video port.... all you have to say is its for gaming or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Gordon
    I have heard that they check. If they see any form of aerial in - they see that as enough proof. If you have a video with no telly - it has an aerial in - you pay licence.

They would check your pc I'm fairly sure.

That is true, My father was done years ago for having a TV antena on the roof even though we didn't have a tv at the time. I think the legal wording refers to any device or equipment capable of recieving TV signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

the law was changed
    u need a license to receive tv via a tv tuner on ur pc..
    they koped on 3-4 years back

regarding via the net,
    it say thats a loophole alright :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

If ya can hold on a couple of days I'll tell ya how it is done. My friend is thinking of doing this he has it all figured out and has an expert advise aswell who is into this kind of stuff.

What ya need is;

1 Satelite Dish( min 2 meter dish)
    some sort of a video card
    A reliable computer(you aint got this then no tv for you)

Can I also mention this will also give you a heck of a connection for the internet(damn my mind is gone blank cant think of what any of this is called anymore argh).

But you will be able to get any channel you want(illegally) and can also alter the layers of which you receive them. For instance you know the Sky One logo when watching TV. Ya can get rid of that if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

ya such bull**** man
    the satellite hackers dont even know what type of signal sky use..
    so u tell me how u are going to deinterlace the layers on it?

my m8 does this fulltime and the best they have done is know how to work around the encryption on box office for recording

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

All Ive heard that it is possible. Im not saying anymore then that.
    I myself haven't the slightest clue how it works but a m8 of mine said he is going to set this up and was talking to some-one on how to do it.

I'll try and find out how he is goign to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pompeystato

I was offered a TV card the other day by a friend, but before agreeing to buy I explored the question of a TV Licence. I hunted out my current licence, reading it throughly and discussing it with my wife.

She wasn't satisfied by the answers we came up with, so while I was out, my wife phoned the Customer Query number given out on the back of the Licence (0870 850 1202).

When I came home she told me that they had said that we must have two seperate licenses, one for each receiver.

Now I think they misunderstood what she had asked them. So I intend ringing them myself tomorrow.

The problems stem from how the licence is worded. Is says:-
    What this licence allows
    to install and use colour and black and white receivers at the premises.

Does that mean 'a' colour receiver or 'a' black and white receiver' or 'colour receivers and black and white receivers' - see what I mean!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

The law is due to be changed shortly to include all types of TV be it via the web, or over the radiowaves - doesn't matter. Its service you are paying for, even if you don't watch Irish television you must pay a licence fee. May seem unfair to some of you but thats the policy. The legislation might do it by catching anything that is capable of receiving or displaying broadcast services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You could have tried a new thread instead of restarting a 3 year old thread.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Eglinton wrote:
    The law is due to be changed shortly to include all types of TV be it via the web, or over the radiowaves - doesn't matter. Its service you are paying for, even if you don't watch Irish television you must pay a licence fee. May seem unfair to some of you but thats the policy. The legislation might do it by catching anything that is capable of receiving or displaying broadcast services.

If all they show on TV is crap I don't think they should be entitled to the money. Where did you hear this btw? Also a PC isn't a TV but would they be covered by it as well, even ones that DON'T have a TV card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

TV on the web is not broadcast it is narrowcast and therefore currently outside the whole broadcasting regulations.
    TV card for PC or TV tuner for monitor makes it necessary to have a TV license as it then becomes a device capable of receiving television signals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pompeystato

Sorry about that!

It was my neighbour's instigation. She sent me a link about the TV Licence thread to help us. I'd never seen these boards till yesterday. If you like you can create a new topic just for it, save wading through all thats gone before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Due to the iron content in our blood it could be construed that everybody needs to have a license. As for the license-per-receiver thing, many many houses have more than one TV. What's the bets that they only have one license (if even that). Also, in my experience, they seem to target people with satellite dishes in particular.

As for TV cards in PC's, I'm that, sure before long, we'll have PC tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sorry about that!

It was my neighbour's instigation. She sent me a link about the TV Licence thread to help us. I'd never seen these boards till yesterday. If you like you can create a new topic just for it, save wading through all thats gone before.
    No there 's no real need now that this one is alive and kicking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

guys get your tv licenses, and that's before the embarrassment begins - bahahahaha

man what a rip off, is there a place in the world where people are being ripped off as much as here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Yes but it's so expensive that they can't afford to give it a name and even if they did nobody would go because it's too expensive. I think it's somewhere in Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

People in the UK pay more for their tv licence than we do here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

But they get some semblence of quality programming from BBC. Sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The problems stem from how the licence is worded. Is says:-
    What this licence allows
    to install and use colour and black and white receivers at the premises.

Does that mean 'a' colour receiver or 'a' black and white receiver' or 'colour receivers and black and white receivers' - see what I mean!!!
    It means you can have multiple TV devices (colour or otherwise) in the premises on one licence. You don't need multiple licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

As for TV cards in PC's, I'm that, sure before long, we'll have PC tax.

Doubt that. If they tried it they'd have everyone after them, Buisnesses and home users.
    Moriarty wrote:
    People in the UK pay more for their tv licence than we do here..

At least with the BBC you actually get something decent unlike RTE with its useless TV schedule, and they dont have ads on BBC 1 or 2 either. As well as that if TV3 were getting a decent slice of the take it wouldn't be so bad, they actually broadcast decent programs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Infini wrote:
    .. TV3 .. broadcast decent programs.

You're having a laugh right? :)

Moving this over to Television aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Infini wrote:
    At least with the BBC you actually get something decent unlike RTE with its useless TV schedule, and they dont have ads on BBC 1 or 2 either. As well as that if TV3 were getting a decent slice of the take it wouldn't be so bad, they actually broadcast decent programs.

They take in a couple of billion in the uk coompared to about €150m here (guess). Thats a very big difference when it comes to getting programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Infini wrote:
    If all they show on TV is crap I don't think they should be entitled to the money. Where did you hear this btw? Also a PC isn't a TV but would they be covered by it as well, even ones that DON'T have a TV card?

Television doesn't just mean a device, its a service.
    Also broadcasting by todays standards doesn't imply the bandwidth required as regards narrowcasting. There are too many interpretations of what are quite simple ideas. People read too much into definitions and get overexcited at being able to describe the same thing a million different ways.
    Also all TV programming will soon be in Mpeg4 format whichever way it reaches your output device, once DTT comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Redshift wrote:
    That is true, My father was done years ago for having a TV antena on the roof even though we didn't have a tv at the time. I think the legal wording refers to any device or equipment capable of recieving TV signals.

then a coat hanger would count as it could be used as an atena?

Advertisement