Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scalextric

• 20-12-2002 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

In absolutely, positively, my last thread before Christmas (I've been criticised for posting too many new threads and not letting the old ones 'settle in')....

....Did any of you have Scalextric sets when you were younger?

I absolutely adored mine! Only set up occasionally (i.e. when I could persuade my Mum to donate the living room floor), the word would go out on the street that a Scalextric championship was on!

I had a huge binbag full of track, resulting in some pretty far out circuits. Kids would bring their own cars and pit them against my own souped-up racer Crap Genap™ (a name I considered to be the diametric opposite of Evil Knievel).

Crap Genap™ started life as a Mini Cooper but I stripped off the body and slotted in an uprated motor and brushes. Later modifications included a magnet (to stick it to the metal groove) but this was deemed illegal.

Also- wasn't it the biggest pain-in-the-arse sandpapering the track to remove the oxide?:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I had an extended figure of eight, never got the add ons like - ticker lap timer, always wanted them. My best car was a raleigh car, man that was fast. It came with two F1 cars but they slowly died.

I remember trying to angle the track to make the cars jump but they never landed on the grooves :( still, fun it was.

(oxidising the track?! heh)

As for posting - keep em coming, dont mind them nay sayers!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Loved scaletrix too.

Originally got a Silverstone (old, not the new version of the track) set with a Lotus F1 and Williams F1. Nice big track with 2 chicanes, was good. Later got a crap load of extra older bits of road and a few new cars... some old cars, and 2 rally cars, 1 of which didn't have a magnet and was a bitch to control.

Got it out there a few months back but couldnt be arsed putting it together. The track was a bit fucked really (clack clack clack as the cars went from piece to piece :)) and so were the cars. Not surprising seeing as i used to make ramps like Gordon, i found them easy enough to line up, putting the power clips underneath the bottom of the ramp meant you had power on the entire circuit even though it was disconnected too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

My uncle and his mates used to be BIG into scalextrics. Oh my, kinda pathetic really, grown men and all that. He has since moved into trains (little bit better, a step on the way to remote controlled airplanes which he will let me play with perhaps)!

The circuits they had were sooo cool, whole garages taken up by a track, little holes for a "pit guy" near the hard corners to pick up and reslot the cars as they careered off. Meters and meters of track painted with super grippy paint, cars from germany that were super light and fast, 4 lanes and scenery too!!

I had a Ford Sierra and a Minardi F1 made by SCX who were way cooler than hornby or whoever made scalextrics. I tried to make the Sierra super quick and cool by removing all the excess plastic and adding weight to the back, it is now in pieces in some shoebox somewhere in my room. The other guys had Trucks, like in Truck-raceing on Eurosport, formula 1 cars who's front wheels ACTUALLY TURNED as the cornered and the classics, which had to be raced slowly for fear of breaking them!!

My uncle actually made me a track, welded a bridge together at work, had it all neatly fitted onto a big sheet of plywood, twas a most excellent christmas present many years ago, probably still in the attic wating for my middle age!

Oh man, those lads lived in a world of their own! I wish I had taken some photos to show what it was like, so much fun!

rob

edit: forgot to say, the sierra was 4 wheel drive!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Never had it myself.
    My uncle did though, and when I'd go to his house I'd set it up.
    He had formula 1 cars. Managed to burn both of them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The brother got a scalextric for christmas this year.
    The Size3 Rally edition.
    He's going to get the addon track for it to make it a size4. We'll have to make space in the garage for it all.

I had mad plans for overclocking the cars the moment I saw em.
    A better controller is a must though.
    4wd Sierra sounds class :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I got a Scalextric for xmas last year from my X all my mates agreed that we would get one so we could make a super track but they didnt get one and I was left stuck I have used it once as its a pain in the a*se setting up ........... but in still glad that I got it and maybe just one day I will have the patience to set-it back up

Advertisement