Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying RJ45 in Dublin

Options
  • 20-12-2002 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Where would the best place be for buying some RJ45 in dublin?

I need about 2 x 50m crossover cables, and would it work over that length?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Yes It'll do 50m.
    Mind asking why you need two crossover cables of equal length?
    And I hope you're not planning on running that outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Nah, I wanna move my PC upstairs, but my dads PC is downstairs. We share a cable modem, which must remain downstairs.

My PC has two network cards - one for the modem, one for the other PC. I need two long cables to run it upstairs, I'd say 30m would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

er ... why not put one of those nic's into your dads PC and only run one cable upstairs ... (The reason probably is that he switches off his PC when he isnt using it and you lose your access, but I had to ask):eek:

Yup, thats exactly the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ming your best bet would be to get the cable and 4-6 RJ45 connecters apart from each other and then crimp them your-self. Cross over cables cost more than a standerd oatch cable does. So if you want two of that lent or anyway near it, your be looking at about €40 or more... each. (I'm not kidding) where as to but them and mak them both you self, you'd pay about that over all. (€40)

Places that I know sell it... IT Direct, Peats, Maplin and I'd say any good hardware store that deals with cabling of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Put 2 plugs on each end of this single cable.
    Use the Orange/Green on one cable.
    and the Blue/Brown on the other cable.
    10/100BaseT only uses 2 pairs 1 for send and 1 for recive.
    But CAT-5 has 4 pairs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Slightly OT:

the cable is either called STP or UTP. the connects are whats called RJ45, it pains me everytime i see this posted somewhere. :)

But you can buy both the UTP cable and the RJ45's in maplin at the end of henry street. As keeks said its probably going to be cheaper to buy them and actually crimp them. And I actually dont think you will get 50m pre-made anywhere, hence the extra cost because some schmuck would have to make it up and a price would just be made up :)

Find a crimper and do it urself.

google.ie will show you how if you ask ...

Cross over cables 2 and 6 and ur sorted.. :)

Regards,

Paul

Well someone offered me 2x30m crossover for a fiver, so I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

whats wrong with running cat5 outside? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by STaN
    whats wrong with running cat5 outside? :)

Standard UTP or STP is not moisture proof.

• Advertisement
Advertisement