Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Dial to a Dreamcast

Options
  • 24-02-2000 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Does anyone out there know If i can direct dial into another dreamcast. i.e. So I can play multiplayer whitout going tru an isp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nope. Although technically it's perfectly possible, the games software would have to be designed for it, and no games out over here (or for that matter, any that have been released in Japan) are designed to run with a direct dial system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

How does the DC do for playing the likes of quake online? Pings, smoothness, playability etc?

One ring to rule them all, One ring to to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Q3 is a confirmed port to the DreamCast. Half-Life looks like it too. I guess we'll find out then smile.gif

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

The dreamcast only has a 33k modem as standard but a 56k is available.Half-life looks like a perfect port over to me,there considering opposing force aswell

con

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What about a direct-link kinda' thing like wot the Playstation has?
    You know the link-up cable...?
    I'd like to try that, but I don't think I want to buy a second Dreamcast.

Anyone else played Crazy Taxi?

Click here to Kill your own team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭DaBounca

yah,crazy taxy is execllent,great fun.

not as good as soul calibur though,im unbeatable in that by the way :]

some men hold:That he's the sanest,far of all sane men- some that he's really sane but shamming mad- some that he's really mad but shamming sane- somethat he will be mad,some that he was-some that he couldn't be.But on the whole The favourite theory's somewhat like this:Da'Bounca is idiotically sane with lucid intervals of lunacy :/

Crazy Taxi is absolutely rockin. Not as good as SC, as DaBounca said, but stupidly good all the same smile.gif

Yes, the DC modem is 33.6k at the moment. That's deliberate; 33.6 means slower downloads etc, but more consistent pings for netplay.

The DC cablemodem is out in Japan, and about to be released in the US. There's talk of a DC ISDN TA, but because ISDN isn't widespread in Japan or the US (due to the proliferation of Cable and ADSL) its not likely. There will be an ADSL adapter for it, though.

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Cool, because could you imagine playing Soul-Calibre with a 300Ms ping??
    That would suck.
    I think a 50/60Ms ping would be more reasonable for such split-second-timing sort of games.

Advertisement