Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing a partial windows2000 install

• 21-12-2002 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

I was presented with a pc from a friend which had windows98 on it, he had for some reason gotten a windows2000 disk and tried to upgrade afaik.

Now he stopped using the machine when it was booting up into the windows 2000 setup. I can get into the machine fine by selecting windows 98 from the bootmenu set up through boot.ini Ive tried arsing about with the boot.ini file but to no real avail. Anybody have any ideas as to howto remove all the traces of Windows 2000 from the machine? andleave it at a happy state of Just 98 only.

Thx in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

if its a dual boot setup
    boot into 98
    locate the winnt directory ..
    on the drive which u have just found winnt
    u will also find documents and settings,
    program files

delete those
    (only delete program files if 98 stores its program files in a seperate directory)

edit the boot.ini
    set win98 as default with zero delay time
    u wont see nt boot loader no more
    u have to leave the nt boot loader in the root of the booting drive or its good bye both os's..

u can get around it ,
    but i remember its a 4 page article on technet

btw ur friend was right
    98 is an unstable,unfriendly OS
    win2k is all u could need if u install it right ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I know all about the joys of Win2k Gui_xp I have been happily using it for the last 18 months :)

Thanks for the help there It was what I was sort of thinking of doing myself but wasnt 100% I dont think it was intended to be a dualboot setup :) he got the disk as I said and went messing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

no probs..
    what emulators u into man?
    im into them but dont got much time to be messing around on them :-(
    send me a pm there!

Advertisement