Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IStream Esat BT 3rd party routers

• 21-12-2002 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

looking for non-cisco routers to use with esatbt dsl or istream thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

try this baby
    I got it for my wireless install. Still waiting for the install but it is a sweet router/hub/accesspoint...
    komplett.ie router here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

that looks a tad bit too cheap ..

would any router that supports pppoe do it for esat dsl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Depends which Esat service you choose - The business services (€90+/month) come with routers as standard, so there's no great benefit in buying another.

The 256k residential service includes a USB modem, which seems to mean they are either using PPPoE or PPPoA. PPPoA seems like a good bet, since that's what BT use for Openworld DSL in the UK.

Either way, as you only get a USB modem with Esat 256k ADSL , the router CE has suggested won't work - you will need one with a built-in ADSL modem instead to replace the USB modem they are supplying. You should hold off on buying until you know which standard Esat are using though, although router/modem combos that work with both PPPoE and PPPoA aren't hard to come by.

Remember too, that if Esat use PPPoA, you can't use separate Ethernet modem and router - they have to be combined.

IF you go with Eircom DSL, the router CE has suggested should work fine, as long as you buy an ethernet modem to plug into it. Its usually cheaper to buy a modem/router combo though.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Very pleased with the D-link DSL-500 modem/router [1].
    Purchased from Microaid [2]. I think it was about €120 ex VAT.

Regards

Ronan

[1] http://www.d-link.co.uk/long_desc.asp?id=301
    [2] http://www.microaid.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 arlbb

Has anyone successfully used a 3rd party ethernet modem/router with EsatBT's aDSL service? EsatBT supply an Ericsson hm230d modem/router. Looking at the spec for this, it does support NAT and should be capable of sharing the connection via a hub.
    However, Esat seem determined to install this as an "interface" device only, and charge extra for an additional router.
    In trying to use a 3rd party modem/router I am getting stuck on the settings. I have done this before with Eircom's ADSL using PPPoE and its straightforward, but EsatBT is quite different.
    I am pretty sure it should be PPPoA, VCMUX, VPI=0 and VCI=35 (or 38). Can anyone confirm?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

PM me your IP or company name I will check the details off the shasta box for you,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

(sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but...)

...can anyone tell me what hardware Eircom is offering with their i-stream solo package (the ethernet modem, as I don't even want to think about setting up a USB modem with linux)...? I want to see if it's any good, and (more importantly) if I can get something equally good/better for less somewhere...

TIA,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

as far as i remember eircom were offering the alcatel speed touch home and the zyxel 645m as the ethernet modems. if using linux it may be better to buy a cheap router rather then buying either of the above modems that way you don't have to worry about having to install pppoe software on your machine

Advertisement