Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overqualified for a job??

• 21-12-2002 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Went for an interview for a new job last thursday, after having a nice long interesting phonecall with the Manager the previous day.

Job basically consisted of a variety of Admin, customer service, some accounts and IT support, and a few months down the line would have include new business development and marketing work.

So it was something I was v interested in, and the interview on thursday seemed to go very well IMO.
    I was able to talk about my previous applicable experience,
    my education, I answered all their Qs, no awkward silences, now "I don't know" answers, and we even had time do discuss the Villa - Liverpool match.

I explained to the 3 interviewers my plans for future college and career plan etc, and they seemed happy enough when the interview ended after about 45 mins.

Next day I get a call back, I didn't get the job as they thought I was "Overqualified"!!!

This p1ssed me off so much. Apparently they believed that I would get bored of the job after 5 or 6 months and that my plans for the future ie getting qualifications in accoutancy or IT wouldn't really fit in with the limits of the job.

So basically I was perfect for the job, apart from the fact that I had too much ambition, or was planning to improve myself with further education. I annoyed me that they assumed I would be so unprofessional as to 6 mths down the line begin applying for other jobs cos of boredom.

anyway, rant over

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I know you're pissed, but believe me from sitting on the other side of the table, "overqualified" candidates who get bored and leave/cause trouble is a big problem. Each company has it's own priorities, and you can get a case of a lower qualified candidate being offered a job because the company feels this person is more likely to be at ease with the company culture, and is likely to stick around.

Another alternative is that they are using this as an excuse to let you down gently when they're not calling you back for some other reason.

If you still really wanted the job, you could try sending them a nicely worded email asking them to perhaps elaborate on the overqualified statement, as you are sure you would be able to address any issues they might have with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by hmmm
    If you still really wanted the job, you could try sending them a nicely worded email asking them to perhaps elaborate on the overqualified statement, as you are sure you would be able to address any issues they might have with you.

I've gone through the same experience myself recently and it's a complete downer. Personally I'd phone and say "look we think your a bit overqualified, and we'd like to know more about why you want the job" rather than a smackdown refusal.

I tried the e-mail - have yet to recieve a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

I have to agree with hmmm, I am unemployed at the moment, would love a job in support, as I cant get one in web, but every body is the same, to much experience, not enough experience etc etc, very very depressing state or affairs, just keep the head and hopefully something will come good for you in the near future, all the best for 2003

paddy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Corko

I have gotten this as well.

In fact - sometimes I am over qualified and sometimes under qualified.

Coming from a background in Accountancy & Finance - I find employers to be very snooty about the whole experience side of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Mmm yep.
    I'm trapped in a void somewhere between underqualified and overqualified apparently.
    It still doesn't seem to have hit home with HR folks that it's not as easy to jump ship into another IT job in the present climate as it was in the late 90's... I should think 'overqualified' people would be happy with whatever they can get these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement