Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get into dos

• 21-12-2002 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble getting into dos. My os is win98. When I try to reboot into ms-dos mode from the shutdown menu, windows closes normally but instead of c:\> I get a completely blank screen. If I type in exit and hit enter although I see nothing on the computer reboots without having to hit the restart button. Also when I hit F8 just after bios has run to bring up the options screen( the one that has around 7 different options like boot in safe-mode) and select restart ms-dos from last ms-dos session I get an error saying it can't recover the session files. I've changed my monitor recently its a really old fujitsu 12" and I couldn't find any drivers for it on the web so I'm just using the generic plug and play monitor driver in windows. I was thinking maybe the video drivers for dos aren't working properly. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong or how I could go about sorting it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Also when I hit F8 just after bios has run to bring up the options screen( the one that has around 7 different options like boot in safe-mode) and select restart ms-dos from last ms-dos session I get an error saying it can't recover the session files.
    try choosing 'command promt only' on that menu, then just reset your pc when you've finished using dos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Create a boot disk from 98 and just boot to it, it will bring you to an A:\ prompt

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

ok Several ways of doing this.

1) Click on Start on the start bar, Select Run then type Cmd , this should open Dos for you. It might be know as Command or Command Prompt

2) Click on Start, then Accessories then select Command Prompt (under old PC's might be MS-Dos). Some PC's do have this disabled.

3) Create your Start Disk. Put it in the Floppy Drive and it should start your PC in Ms-Dos

There is more ways but these 3 are the easiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try this as a test.. when you reboot into msdos mode... instead if typing exit.. type a dos command that will bring up a dos app like:
    edit

See if it brings it up.. of so it could be a case you have a dos prompt after all but your monitor needs to be adjusted and the dos prompt is hidden as a result... edit will bring up the whole screen with the edit program so you can see it right.

As for the F8 option.. do what tman said.. use command prompt only... this is how you are supposed to get into Dos in the first place... quicker and better than loading windows and then exiting to Dos.

Advertisement