Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange Campaign

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

My thoughts...

1. Good idea!
    2. I can perl/mysql/html/graphics manipulation. I can't design, although I have done under duress plenty of times
    3. One site is better than regional/per exchange sites I think, the effort is better focussed.
    4. What information? Well Eircom, Esat and Via have all asked for name, full address and phone number, and I've no problem providing that to them. I would have no problem providing that to a third party either if I was sure that information would be used responsibly. It might be an idea to ask them what they want? I also think that name/add/phone no. (and maybe account number if applicable) would get more noticed than "John, Peter and Anthony in area X"
    5. How we protect that info? Well, like already suggested, we need to know that only a couple of people have access to that info. So maybe a designated dba, someone like Adam that we all know, etc. We also need to have a written commitment from the providers that get this info that they will only use it to contact the person involved to further discuss broadband offerings (and not any other company or product).
    6. Name? I think something like the suggested broadband4ireland is a bit better than something very imaginative, because its easier to remember when you're thinking in a context like "what was that site I go to register for broadband?"
    7. Hosting, I can host, or backup host, dns mail or web, but I'm sure there are more reliable guys out there that can do this for free, but if not by all means I'm willing for free.
    8. Cost, I'm sure there are many like me that will donate time and money, although it shouldn't cost that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Richard Barry
    It is surely amazing that the contrary is the case. Why?
    It is possible to manufacture costs by claiming that DSL is a low volume business product (this seems to be unique to Ireland). Therefore companies offering DSL must charge a lot from the few customers taking up the service.

Again, however, it is lack of competition, regulation etc., that leads to this situation. The motivation, I believe, is protection of revenue streams that would otherwise be undermined by cheap broadband.

This is why I'm against any form of Government subsidy. Competition must be stimulated, not demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by STaN
    ive a map of all the exchanges around dublin city and cork too. Might be useful *shurg* :)

Realistically i cant see any telco offering 30/month for broadband unless it was 256kbps. Costs are high in the irish market

Does that include sub exchanges and olo access points ?

Advertisement