Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing cable??? Crimping

Options
  • 22-12-2002 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I got 305m CAT-5 UTP of a spool of cable for practically nothing off an electrician (via trader purchase :) ). I was wondering how do you cut cable, stick the plugs on the end.. tips and tricks etc??

Some questions too:

What is the max distance between devices? I'm in the attic and my other comp is 3 floors down. I think I can make it in under 75m. Is the limit 105m for CAT-5?

Should I keep UTP away from power cables or will it be fine? This is because I will need to take a much longer route if UTP and PWR cables don't get along too well(were is faraday when you need him) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

It shouldn't be affected by the power cables cause its got twisted pairs in it.
    You'll need a crimping tool and some plugs.
    To make the cables up you'll need to get one thats allready made up (So you can copy it).
    Just peal off the outer covering and then untwist the pairs then line them all up nice and flat in the order the go into the plug. Then when you have them all nice and flat chop them so they are all the same length and shove the lot into the plug carefully.
    Then put the plug in the tool and squeeze.
    Its easy once you've done a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

OK. Thanks. Thats a nice method which is going to be mine in my virgin cabling experience

Now another question.
    Could I chop up my 2-way UTP and get what i am looking for or will i need a 1-way such as the 305m i have already???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Now another question.
    Could I chop up my 2-way UTP and get what i am looking for or will i need a 1-way such as the 305m i have already???

Emm.....sorry I don't quite understand what you mean.

BTW are you just linking up two computers? 'Cus if ya are then you'll need a cross-over cable, which means different wiring. You probably already know this...

Have a look here for more info:
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

Just ask if you need any more help...

Advertisement