Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert Combat for BF1942

Options
  • 22-12-2002 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

www.desertcombat.com

these guys did this with no tools or support from EA/Dice

this is awesome tho the maps are to small for a MIG or a F15 but damn its fun to fly em :)

this is alpha and is 52 mb havent noticed many bugs but it will be get updated this is bleedin great :)

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I installed BF1942 a while back off a m8s CD, im wondering do you need the CD to play this or will i be off looking for a noCD crack again?
    As this does look like a pretty good MOD, their gonna fix all the major bugs in a patch after chrimbo aswell, yay.
    /me downloads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You need to have the game patched to 1.2 to have less bugs.

damn fughter jets are impossible to shoot down needs some ground to air missiles flak guns are useless.

Thats my only gripe but can be a bit much when there is 4 good pilots in the jets they can rip your spawn point apart.

helicopter is fun to fly but very weak.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Downloaded it last night, lots of fun but toy get up in the jets and after a few seconds are halfway off the map :) .Found that the helicopter is a bitch to fly, keeps going into never ending spins :( , though its fun :D

You will need to CD to run it, it askes for it even if you have the v1.2 No CD crack. :( ... fecking having to put in the cd all the time now.

Only problem with the game is that the veichles pop back too quick and aswell as that, they loose half there health (on some) when they do pop up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Since we're on the subject is Battlefield 1942 worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by orangerooster
    Since we're on the subject is Battlefield 1942 worth buying?

Oh yes, very much so. Youll need a pretty beefy pc to run it on single player because of the bots. I personally see it as more of a multiplayer game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had BF a while back and had to play with bots since im on 56k.
    Ive got a beefy pc and am getting isdn shortly .
    Can anyone comment what BF is like with isdn and indeed other shooters online?

This is only a beta so there are some bugs the main one is if ona server you cant fly the helicopter.
    And those exploding vehicles.

There will eb a a patch after xmas and tomorrow Battle for Somalia is released a different mod but similiar idea.

The jets are a problem until the guys can make their own maps your stuck with the "oh **** wheres the map gone" speed of flying.

Amazing work considering they have no tools and had to hack all this into the game.

kdjac

You got a URL for Battle for Somalia there KdjaC?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by STaN
    Youll need a pretty beefy pc to run it on single player because of the bots.

I find that setting up a lan server on CO-OP allows you to have more bots with less lag. Ive had a 60man server running on Omaha which was fun. I have never really played single player execpt with Desert Combat as its fun with the bots.

And yes, get battlefield if you dont have it. Its great. :)

CiS can be found here . If you want a link to download the alpha, visit here .... :)

Cheers winters...... anyone know if this works with the noCD hack? I really want to try a BF1942 mod :D

• Advertisement

After a good look around the site, it appears that a lot of the models are unfinished (some arent even skinned), it appears rather rushed, but cant judge it til you play it :)
    Its only a 14meg file tho, so no wonder it looks rather.... pewp.
    Ill give it a go though, but my net booked for tonight, ill download it tomorrow night :)

edit:
    Just after lookin about the forums, the guys who are makin this seems to be spiteful gits :eek:
    To the bad mouthers , I dont see you leading a mod , modelign for one or whatnot ; we have put alot of work into this mod , bugs are bound to happen and you idiots where the ones sitting there telling us to release KNOWING that it wasnt finished so I went with the community only to get burnt by a couple of mr know it all pricks. I dont appreciate your bad mouthing CiS , we dont like to be compared to DC nor do we like to be compared to any mod

A) Its rude
    B) Its disrespectful

DC has more stuff mdoeling wise we have more stuff coding wise . Does it look like we care no , so if you love DC so much go tell them that not us all your asking for is a !kb in the channel or a ban in this section of the forums. And this little start a CiS server saying "CiS SuX DC ROX" isnt very mature at all

Thats from one of the dev team, hmmm, hopefulyl not all the dev team are like that or community relations will get very hostile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It sounds like the community told him his mod was sh1te. If i were him i'd probably do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    It sounds like the community told him his mod was sh1te. If i were him i'd probably do the same.

i agree

ehh no if its crap he should be told otherwise countless hours go into it and it gets crappier.

Havent tried it but if i was making one i wouldnt spend thousands of hours on it knowing it was crap.

Desertcombat will be the benchmark of all mods to come for bf1942 and if any of the others arent up to it they wont get played on servers simple as that.

What would be the point?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

you can launch this mod with the command prompt command: bf1942.exe +game Desert_Combat
    That might help out some of the people there not being able to run it from the menu.

It runs ok on ISDN I suppose, BF1942 has about 2/3rds to double the bandwidth requirements of CS tho. So long as you aint sniping its ok, you can rampage around in the vehicles easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Thank you very much for that Spoonman! :)

It wasn't working for me before I tried that, as it said I needed the CD (which was in the drive).
    It looks very good, weapon models are sharp and have good sounds. Very pleased that the engineer has a Sniper rifle and Explosives!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

This mod is now in version 0.2

http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/battlefield1942/modifications/desertcombat/patches/win32/DesertCombat2install.exe

Isnt beta yet tho. Just downloading it, sounds cool tho

82meg, ouch, hefty download. Ill maybe leave it overnight, have a look tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Well i had a good go at it there last night ;), as prolly aleady said larger maps are needed for the fighter jets, the choppers are a little difficult to use but are handy to have hovering to protect troops, Overall its a decent mod, which is still in alpha.

This is shown by the sluggishness of the game.

Advertisement