Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much do you practice

• 23-12-2002 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

This my have been posted before but i was wondering how often do you guys practice (any instrument). i spend as long as possible but thats only about 1 hour at least every day. and i sometimes get worried i dont practice enough.

Any input apreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I practice for hours. If i'm on the pc and somthings loading I pick up the guitar and play. Watching tele. And ever night I play for 2 to 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I practice up to 4 hours a day.
    Once I start I tend to find it hard to stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i can thank 56k for the length of time i practice, i pretty much have my bass on my lap every time on the internet, which can be hours or a few mins, so i guess my practice pattern is pretty irregular.

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

I play until my fingers get sore and start to blister.
    It ranges from 2-6 hours, although I did play for 11 hours straight once... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well, I haven't sat down at practiced in a few months now, I just jam with my band every weekend. When I started it was all day every day. That was a long time ago, but I pick up things very easily now, so I dont need to practice that much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Its actually pretty wierd when you think about it, i only thought i practiced for 1 hour a day. but i timed it today and i am on the 2 and 1/2 hour mark allready and the night is young. so maybe its not as bad as i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I'm not the only one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

I don't practice everyday
    (learning scales/speed training etc)

but i do play every day for the laugh/fun i guess this is practice too. It can last for the length of my winamp playlist :/

When i need to learn how to do something for a song i'll practice that when i get a chance, at the mo its solos :( trying to build up speed and at the same time keep it tight and clean,
    Plus sometimes i have to use an un-amp'd guitar and its hard to tell if i'm doing things right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dunno...

It depends, really.
    Anything from 10 minutes to 5 or 6 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

So do we practice or just play?

I might have the attention span to do an hour practice but after that I just end up playing around its all the law of diminishing return, my firts 20 mins of practice are probably as productive as the last 40 if I do an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i never practice... a bit stupid really... unless you consider writing to be practicing cos i'd spend hours playing away trying to put bits and bobs together but i never really feel thats practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

My lectures are telling us we should be spending at least 4 hours a day practicing!!!!
    I'd like to say I do spend that amount of time on it but it's just not the way it is.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Go through phases. When I'm not working, in college or if I've managed to get away from the unbelievable distraction that the PS2 is I play guitar a lot. 4 hours or that during the week plugged in then after 11 it's silent for another 1/2 hour until I get pissed off at having no distortion and call it quits for the night. I'd play 8 hours on a Saturday or Sunday if one of the above things doesn't rear it's ugly head. The best one ever was a Saturday- 9-1...lunch......2-6.....dinner......7-12. That, for those who can't add, is 13 hours in one day!!!!!!!!!! Oh how my fingers hurt after that!!! However I noticed an improvment in my playing after that day and I think that is an achievment in it's own right.

On the other question..... nope I don't "practice". I just play a whole heap of songs and repeat the solos until I nail em. Since I don't know many scales (2) this is one of the few ways left to improve my lead work.

Advertisement