Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting annoyed with UTV

Options
  • 23-12-2002 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

I was delighted when they arrived ,so much so that I signed up asap ,but this weekend has annoyed me ,kicked at least 20 times in the last 24 hrs ,and now ,2 am connected at 28,800 ,stays the same after 5 logons ,grrrrrr

Pick up or I'm gone

Macker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I think you need your settings or phone line sorted mate.

No problems here. At all at all.

Jeez this type of post drives me around the twist :confused:

Now what ISP in their right ming is going to connect you at 28000.

Think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

That's fair enough but at 7am this morning I was connected at 48000 ,and getting 5 kb ,now I'm connected at 28000 with 1 kb ,you think my phone line changed in the last few hours or maybe UTV can't handle heavy traffic.

Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Was it raining down your way tonight? If so your line could be damp. Happens here regularly.

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Valentia
    Was it raining down your way tonight? If so your line could be damp. Happens here regularly.

Seriously.

especially that misty drizzle 'gets everywhere' kind of rain.

I have an ambient dampness/linespeed drop correlation issue as well.

The worst place I ever saw for this was Montenotti in Cork.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 joec

I have had similar problems with utvip.I have had IOL gold for a year and connected to utvip in the past week.I have found that during the day my download rates are poor at best.i was getting between 5 and 5.5 with IOL with utv it seems to be around 3 in th daytime.........in the evening it starts fine but i find after about an hour the rate drops down and also hops around a lot it doesnt seems as stable in terms of consistency with the speeds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Nets/Comms?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by pete
    Nets/Comms?

Aye, indeed, moved there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I needed to d/l a file yesterday for the game i play (new mappack) , 109mb ,it came down at 5.5 fairly consistantly over a 6 hour period , no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Is anyone else finding it impossible to stay connected with UTV this evening? I'm connecting ok, only to be kicked off after about one minute. V annoying. Having to use Indigo now.

Haven't heard of any credits on our accounts after the problem they had the other week after that upgrade when no one could get connected. I spent 2 days having to use Indigo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dood

Yeah mine is constantly retraining to about 3k per second, its telling me im connected at 45.2kbps, might as well be 28.8kbps...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

now I'm connected at 28000 with 1 kb ,you think my phone line changed in the last few hours or maybe UTV can't handle heavy traffic.
    Even at our peak usage, it won't affect your connect speeds (from our end). The modem negotiation happens entirely independently of whether we have one customer online or 1000. You might want to look at having the gain on your line raised in case it is an intermittent line issue. I know we say this a lot (but only because we know it makes a difference), but are you running the latest drivers and firmware?
    in the evening it starts fine but i find after about an hour the rate drops down
    This came up in the mega-thread towards the end where we diagnosed it was the modems renegotiating the speed (you can check this in your modem logs). Again, line gain and ensuring latest drivers/firmware may help this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How many of those with problems are using crappy winmodems that come out of a Christmas cracker??

I have no problem with speed but I NEVER get on first time, always get error 629 or 731 or 619. I've tried everything suggested on modemhelp and my modem drivers and firmware are up to date so I pretty much refuse to believe it's anything on my end as i've never had these problems with any other ISP in Ireland.

Only a few weeks left till I get DSL tho so i'm not tooooo peeved.

but I NEVER get on first time
    Used to see this quite a bit during the "old days" :) Try adding at&f0&w or at&f&w to your init string to see if that helps. I remember some modems having issues doing sequential connects unless their S registers were restored to factory defaults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Saruman
    How many of those with problems are using crappy winmodems that come out of a Christmas cracker??

Hey !, please don't brand all winmodems as crappy ! :D

I still use a winmodem since i got it in summer '99.
    Had no problems with it, connects at 50-53kBps and download speeds quite consistent (5-6kbps) on nearly every isp since.
    Heck i even used it as part of 1-way satellite when i had netsystem :)

As it's a software modem, i guess connection stability and consistency depends on the pc itself (ruling out phone line problems) as well as getting latest driver updates :):)

i guess connection stability and consistency depends on the pc itself
    Not to mention your choice of OS (linux, beos, BSD etc. etc.) :cool: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

For all us knuckle-draggers, it may help to know this. I did a Google search on "edit initialization string" and found this for editing the string in Windows98.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Modems>Properties>Connection>Advanced
    Then in the blank panel, enter Martin's suggested "at&f&w" or the other one.

I don't know if you should "append to log" or not.

I did all this, then OK>Close

The result is now the modem wouldn't dial, so I took it all off and am back to square 1. Sigh.:(

I went back over it all again, didn't "append to log" then OK>Close, then restarted Windows and now the modem works fine (although it took two attempts to connect) and tells me I am connected at 115,200 bps??!!:eek:

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    Used to see this quite a bit during the "old days" :) Try adding at&f0&w or at&f&w to your init string to see if that helps. I remember some modems having issues doing sequential connects unless their S registers were restored to factory defaults.

Cheers Martin, will give it a try although it didn't happen for the first month I was using utvip. Will try it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    Not to mention your choice of OS (linux, beos, BSD etc. etc.) :cool: :cool:

Of course Winmodems won't work at all on anything other than Windows

• Advertisement

Here's some reading about what line gain means. It was all news to me.

http://www.oftel.gov.uk/consumer/advice/faqs/intfaq1.htm

Telephone lines to homes from the exchange have a "limiter" to reduce the power of the line. How much limiting is applied will depend on how close the exchange is to your home. If your telephone company "increases the gain" on your line, it is actually reducing the limit placed on the line. The limiter is placed on a line to produce the optimum line conditions.

<snip>

Whether or not your telephone company chooses to alter the gain on your line will depend on its policy regarding the issue. For example, some companies will only alter the gain in conjunction with normal fault finding practices.

It should be pointed that what appears to be a lack of speed in data transfers may not be the fault of your telephone company. The operating speed of a modem is determined not only by the line but by the web site the customer accesses on the Internet, the time of day the web site is accessed, and the Internet service provider used.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by David C
    Of course Winmodems won't work at all on anything other than Windows

Actually some do but i would not trust one.. fair enough winmodems can sometimes be good if you have a good and stable system. But why risk it? I have an external 3com modem and its class. Cost me £99 a few years back and never a problem... if anything the winmodem downstairs is a pain.. like if im on the net and someone tries to connect downstairs it cuts me off.. But if they are on the net and i try and connect, it leaves the other connection intact..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I am no tech head but I have a lucent winmodem and have been told its as good as u can get ,especially for use with the technology utvip use...i have it for the last 3 years and always (until the utv upgrade a few weeks ago) connect at 52000 (since upgrade its usually 5000 or 48000 (don't know why :()).Its also a very stable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hardware DSP, "software" controller.
    The faster cpu you have the better it can perform.

I've had a lucent. I liked it :)
    Have a Rockwell HCF now, simply cos i got it free. Gets me better connects.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by TomF
    I went back over it all again, didn't "append to log" then OK>Close, then restarted Windows and now the modem works fine (although it took two attempts to connect) and tells me I am connected at 115,200 bps??!!:eek:

that's your PC-to-modem serial speed, not your modem-to-ISP speed.
    It was caused by one of the INIT strings.
    It means nothing to be honest.
    There's more then likely a string to get windows to report the "real" speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

Originally posted by jonski
    I am no tech head but I have a lucent winmodem and have been told its as good as u can get ,especially for use with the technology utvip use...i have it for the last 3 years and always (until the utv upgrade a few weeks ago) connect at 52000 (since upgrade its usually 5000 or 48000 (don't know why :()).Its also a very stable connection.

Jonski - I also have this problem -

I had a Motorola Software modem running at 50000 - 52000
    When utv upgraded - I now get 43000 - 45333

The motorola is no longer supported so there was no update to drivers of firmware I purchased a hardware modem from Creative

I updated it to the latest V.92 drivers - still getting 43000 - 45000

:confused:

<that's your PC-to-modem serial speed, not your modem-to-ISP speed.
    It was caused by one of the INIT strings.
    It means nothing to be honest.
    There's more then likely a string to get windows to report the "real" speed.>

Yes, I thought it was odd. After posting my amazement about the very fast rate, I went back to the modem setup screen in Windows and changed it to 57,600 bps, and it is rock stable, indicating that it is strictly a number that refers to something here in my computer. Odd, because before adding the statement to the Initialization string, the connection speed indicated by the two little monitor icons at the bottom of my screen would change depending on conditions. Now it appears that I no longer look at the connection speed. Maybe the change is only a "feel-good" thing. Still, call it wishful thinking, it seems to me that I connect more often on the first call now, and that I seldom get booted-off UTVip since making the UTVip-recommended change to the string.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andreio

I signed up for UTVip back in September, 1/2 hour after they announced the new product. As most people posting on this board, I had high hopes for getting a lower phone bill.

4 months down the road, I am seriously considering moving back to Eircom for telephony and Esat NetSmart for Internet access.
    I can't make international phone calls since November, so I have to go through €ircom, the Internet access is slow, had lots of problems with the Internet access (ISDN), so at the end of the day I don't get what I want.

I'm really sorry to leave them after all, but I'm voting with my wallet. Good bye UTV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BanjoDanjo

I have Utvi and it says its connected at 115.2 ... lies?
    Does anyone know if UTVi's Proxy server is compression enabled.

Even if its not, if i use it will there be a speed difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BanjoDanjo

Also, sorry for posting again, but i just thought of it.
    I don't seen to get itemised bills from UTVi
    and my phone bill is a lot higher than it was with eircom.
    Anyone know how to access your bill online.
    i called their support but was told there was nobody there to help me.
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement