Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Strummer

Options
  • 23-12-2002 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

His official website has announced that he died yesterday.
    Only 50.

very sad

alison

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

that was... a little strange

anyone have any other info, what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

Tower Records already have the box-sets out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

He died of a heart attack...R.I.P.

Sky news article

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

What nme.com said:

Former Clash frontman Joe Strummer is dead. He was 50.

A spokesperson for the star, one of the most influential rock artists of all time, confirmed he died at his home yesterday. He is thought to have suffered a heart attack.

A posting on his official site today (December 23) reads: "Joe Strummer died yesterday. Our condolences to Luce and the kids, family and friends."

A post mortem is expected tomorrow.

Born John Graham Mellor in Ankara, Turkey in 1952 the son of a British diplomat, he began his musical career playing with rock standards covers band the 101ers. He put together The Clash in the mid-70s with Mick Jones, bassist Paul Simonon and drummer Topper Headon in west London, helping the band emerge as one of the most important to burst from the 1976 punk explosion. Always political and edgy, public school educated Strummer and Jones swapped song-writing and singing duties within the band.

Their third album, 'London Calling', a double LP, was widely seen as their finest and still continues to be hailed as one of the all-time great rock releases.

After the Clash's split in the early 1980s, Strummer continued making music with a variety of projects, including a stint with the Pogues. His most recent band is Joe Strummer and the Mesceleros.

Strummer also flirted with a brief film career appearing in Jim Jarmusch's 'Mystery Train' and Alex Cox's 'Straight To Hell'.

Strummer had always turned down many lucrative offers to reunite The Clash.

However, in recent weeks, rumours had grown that some sort of comeback was in the offing.

What a year....Dee Dee Ramone dies and then Joe Strummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I couldn't believe it when i heard.
    R.I.P.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

may he rest in peace and may his music live on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

****ing hell, its too ****ing young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 crashtestmonkey

never even got to see him play....:(

Don't expect to see 'Bandit' around these parts for a few days. He worshipped him like a God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

JOe was great....

Why can't bono die instead of him.

• Advertisement

There are too many who should die before Strummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 panzer_attack

its always the good ones that have to go.very sad day.the clash were so much more than a punk band.pity i never got to see him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rob Taylor

Raggamuffin, this isn't the time for your insensitive remarks about Bono or anyone else. Apart from anything else, it's Christmas. And don't bother trying to start an argument because I won't be drawn in.

I think Joe Strummer's death has shocked a great many people, myself included. I saw him live in the Olympia twice in the last three years and he was amazing. He was such an inspiration. As you may have seen on our website, I'll be presenting a tribute to Joe on St Stephen's Day from 4 til 7pm. I hope you all get a chance to tune in. Your requests and comments re Joe are welcome during the show, I'll read them all out, apart from the smart-arsed ones of course. Happy Christmas to you all.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Damn shame he truely was a great , i had the pleasure of seeing him live three times some o the best gigs i've ever been to.....
    This is in the sleve to the live album "from here to eternity"

'the clash's second visit to Boston , the bouncers werent letting people dance, Joe saw this and said "lets do a test and see how smart everybody is were going to turn off the lights for 30 seconds" . out went the lights, and when they came on there were bodies jumping from the balconies and bodies climbing over chairs and fighting with security to get closer to the stage. And 100 feet out in the middle of the crowd- Mr Strummer himself!!!! No other band backed their words like the clash'

I think that says it all, rest in piece joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

He looked so healthy. I was very shocked.
    Went home and switched on The Clash and didn't move for the day.
    His Mescaleros stuff was great too.

Fight on Strummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

I'm posting on this to say sorry to Raggamuffin for not backing him up at the time. Sorry!

Wow I love this board! Everyone loves to bash raggamuffin, but if 66 electric says "There are too many who should die before Strummer." it's alright? :rolleyes:

Raggamuffin is actually a HUGE fan of the clash, he just didn't articulate his point very well here.

He most likely refering to Bono's comments after Joe Strummer died how The Clash were such a big influenc on U2. What Raggamuffin was probably trying to say is that if U2 were half the band the clash were ....yaddy yadda yadda..... Yet U2 are more worshipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I agree,
    i think it was Bono who said that The Clash wrote the rule book for U2......

.........you'd think they could have read from it then!!!

Advertisement