Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXP Home - Change Permissions?

• 23-12-2002 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm beat. I installed Windows XP Home edition on my comp, and removed Windows 2000 (as you prolly already know, you have to have XP Pro to do a proper upgrade). My 'my docs' folder was on a seperate partition, and I set XP to use that as my new "My Docs".

The problem is that the permissions aren't set properly and I can't save there. I went into the Folder Properties box, and was horrified to discover that there was no Security tab there.

After much searching, I discovered on the MS Knowledge Base that I needed to disable "Simple File Sharing" under the Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Advanced tab. Except it's not there.

Anyone know how to disable it? Perhaps a reg hack? It's driving me nuts, and my Googling has come to nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Thanks, it seems to have worked, but more importantly you alerted me to the no Administrator password shenanigans. Thank you Microsoft. The a/c I use is an Administrator account in any case, but it still won't show the security tab. I'm gonna have to reboot now and see what's going on cause I have full read access but no editing or saving access. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by daveirl
    I know. How many people think that they are uber cool and have everything locked down and all it takes is a restart and F8 to get in with full access rights. In fact with more access rights then them!

/me holds hand up

Got the problem sorted out - forgot to set inheritable rights.. yada.. yada..

Thanks again.

Advertisement