Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CD Player + Fiesta

Options
  • 23-12-2002 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

You may remember some time back i was asking how difficult it would be to install a cd player into a polo/corsa

Now however, the is OFFICIALLY a 00 reg fiesta. unfortunately, i do not like the look of that radio in the dashboard, appears to be part of it or something.

Could someone point me in right direction of how I mite dissasemble the fiesta and place my own cd-player ? anyone with any experience with it ?

Mick

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not sure if there is something similar, but try here .

Another useful site is www.the12volt.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

I got one of those Lidl CD players and it was quite easy to install(once i got the other radio out)

I drive a 93 fiesta. The radio was so jammed that I had to push it out from behind the dashboard(from the passengers side)

Is it build into the dashboard or sumthing your radio that is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

well it doesnt matter now as i have returned it to argos and got myself a refund.

the problem with latter day fiesta (and prob all fords) is that the radio is as Runfree said part of the dashboard. taking the radio out is fine, but not only does it leave a MASSIV gap, it also means that anything put into it would be jutting out as the dash + radio is curved.

curse you ford

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think I found a solution for you, takes a little bit of work, but should be worth it. Have a look here

Basically...

The original units are all a strange square shape to fit in the curvy fascia so once you've removed the standard radio you'll need an adapter plate to fit a normal DIN-sized headunit into the dash. These adapters match the dash perfectly and are available from ford themselves for about 30 quid or from companies like autoleads for around half that. All you'll need to update your headunit is the wiring loom to plug your choice of unit into the ford plug behind the dash, connect the aerial and bob's your father's brother.

Hope that helps,

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

well it doesnt matter now as i have returned it to argos and got myself a refund

where were you last week !! :(

ta for the effort tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh i drive a 01 fiesta, the dash is a curse of a thing, gettin rid of it just so i can a car that i can fit a cd player into hehe :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

For security reasons, Ford have been fitting "double-DIN" size radios for a number of years - these units are only compatible with other Fords, so there's less of an incentive to steal them. Like Legbreaker said, there are conversion kits available to allow the fitment of standard DIN size units.
    I drive a 93 fiesta. The radio was so jammed that I had to push it out from behind the dashboard(from the passengers side)

There's a special tool you need for removing Ford radios - it's a pair of U-shaped handles with a special notch on the ends. You push them into the radio at the sides (there are two holes on each side for this purpose), push them to the side to unlock the radio from the dashboard, and then pull it out towards you. The tool costs about €5 iirc, and you can get it in any half decent motor accessories store.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The Ford part number for the adapter plate is 1029722.It costs about €4.00 and any dealer will keep a supply in stock.You remove the old radio and the above part will make the hole in the dash the right size to take a "normal" stereo.
    Richie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep they do a Cd player to fit the curvy dash but its something like €300 to buy from a dealer.When you buy the facia plate and say a Sony etc the whole lot will come to about €200.Plus the ford unit is sh*te.!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Plus the ford unit is sh*te.!!!!!

How so? In my experience, Ford stereos are among the best out there - a lot of the sony ones I've seen have these horribly fiddly little buttons which are very awkward to use, especially if you are trying to concentrate on the road. The Ford ones have nice big buttons that are easy to use, and the layout is nice and clear. I know they're not top of the pile for sound quality, but they're more than good enough for the average person not to notice the difference, especially once you've got a decent set of speakers fitted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement