Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That big spike lookin yolk....

Options
  • 23-12-2002 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any good names for it?

I heard a few the other day:

The Stiffy in the Liffey
    and
    Nelson's Prick.

any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

yeah,,,

there was a thread full of on on "After Hours"

couple of days old

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

ZINGED Neil3030

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Stupid After Hours. Always f*cking me over.

Some day....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

The pole in the hole

or my favorite

that big stupid looking ****ing waste of taxpayers money , which has a nice ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

i still call it the "millenium spire".

they should have specified which millenium, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

what about ...

the metal micky ? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I like the Stiletto in the Ghetto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

The Shaft.

In honour of how much the irish people have been shafted by their government over the past while.

(Credits: Some caller to the gerry ryan show)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I heard someone go on about it a few weeks ago..

basic gist of it was...

"..dublin's full of pricks anyway, so who's gonna notice one more.."

Disclaimer:

Please note it contains derogitory remarks and views which some may take offence to. This is an opinion expressed by a TV personality and is intended not as an experssion of my personal opinion of dublins inhabitants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

In honour of how much the irish people have been shafted by their government over the past while.

I'm convinced that the designer got it wrong, it should have been a 120m high SCREW not a NAIL!

although we are being "Nailed" by the Gov't as well as being screwed I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Heard this one ... thought it was quite funny after I calmed down 'the pole in the hole' :D

once the stupid avaiatation light is gone ... it will look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's A.J O'Reilly, giving us the finger...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"Stiffy near the Liffey" was the top voted name on FM104... apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Light's gone already :D
    Dublin's Millenium Spire has gone out of the spotlight - temporarily at least. High winds last night ensured that the bulb on top of the 120 metre monument was put out of action at around half past 6. The aviation authority was informed of the breakage, and a Dublin City Council spokesperson has confirmed that it will be a few days before the 'Pole in the Hole' will be casting light on us again.

From unison.ie.

Can't fault it too much ... the weather is f**king appaling out there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by MDR
    Can't fault it too much ... the weather is f**king appaling out there ....

yes ... yes we can actually!

Who in their right minds thought that this was a good idea and would actually FIT in with the rest of O'Connell St. ?

One giant hypdermic needle / screw :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Berties Erection

:)

Spire in the Mire

Pin in the Bin

:D

yes ... yes we can actually! it's f*cking awful.

Who in their right minds thought that this was a good idea and would actually FIT in with the rest of O'Connell St. ?

The light went in bad weather, .... shseesh ...
    next thing it will be a farce when it needs to be cleaned ...

well its enjoys 52% popularity at the minute (RTE poll),
    as for who decided ...
    Read Here

weather it fits in our not is purely a matter of the taste of the individual. The Parisian people had a very much similar reaction to the construction of the Glass pyramids at the Louve or the Eiffel Tower and as I remeber Dubliners had a very similar reaction Anne Life (a subsequentily wept at her departure).
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...

have mentioned 40,000 people cheered its completion ...

love it or hate its here to stay ...

also see Read here for some excellant photos

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

They've given it a clean now and I have to say it looks a lot better than before. It looks like a mercury needle, perfectly silver.

But... has anyone noticed a slight bend at the top when viewed from the East or West?!

Originally posted by Gordon
    They've given it a clean now and I have to say it looks a lot better than before. It looks like a mercury needle, perfectly silver.

But... has anyone noticed a slight bend at the top when viewed from the East or West?!

Yeah,

I can remember thinking something similar when _trying_ to take photos of it looking north/south, is it no something to do with the curvature of the earth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

the stiffy by the liffey is definitely the funniest name but im just gonna kepp calling it the spike. short and sweet (the name itself not the actual spike) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i'm with mewzel, the stiffy by the liffey offically, but for off hand remarks you can't beat the spike

and i think it's REALLY called "the spire of dublin" but who the hell whould call it that in public

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I like the "Nail in the Pail"

Actually I was thinking of uses for the " stiffy" and with a couple of modifications this fukcing thing can be useful.

What about one of those electronic news boards like in New york circling the "Shaft" hehehe I said Shaft

Or what about a giant flag at the top saying "culchies feck off"
    or something equally as clever.

maybe a little drain around it and make it the coolest urinal in the world EVER ??

anyone got any other Ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I like the urinal idea. I'll definately take up on it next night i wander past drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I dunno, taking a piss in front the spike would put any man to shame.

And think of the remarks from passers by
    'I'm seeing double, 4 stiffies by the liffy'

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    and i think it's REALLY called "the spire of dublin" but who the hell whould call it that in public

i thought its official name was 'the millenium spire' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

When yur on O'Connell does any one actually look up at it? You hav to really crane yur neck back. It s not worth the bother. It looks alright from Henry Street tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i can't help but look up at it? im sure there'll be accident from people(ie me!) who aren't watching where theyre going theyre too busy trying to see right to the very top of it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement