Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Confuslement

Options
  • 23-12-2002 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm getting isdn for christmas and i'm a little confused with some things.

Like when eircom say E40 line rental, is that for 2 months or just one?

Is there an old post with questions like this or something? Also could some1 tell me how much alltogether the line rental is per month?

Thnxs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    Hi all, I'm getting isdn for christmas and i'm a little confused with some things.

Thnxs

It's €37.50 per month.. you'll get your bill every two months... This rental will replace your old line rental if you have an existing line...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

kk thnxs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

your Line Rental was 16.20 + vat for 1 PSTN line now your line rental will be €30.99 + vat per month for 2 ISDN channels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Why don't they just say how much will be added??

Thnxs lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by the Guru
    your Line Rental was 16.20 + vat for 1 PSTN line now your line rental will be €30.99 + vat per month for 2 ISDN channels

no point in quoting ex vat for residential

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I cant do the maths with adding on the vat Sorry or im just to lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Oh, but keep in mind, there are charges they dont tell you about. Like keeping your old number will cost you. so dont for get to ask them how much that will be... eircom got me on that one.. cost me £45 if I remember right. That was 2 years afo now..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Hello,

Mate is currently using UTVip flatrate, and as he lives in the schticks with no hope for broadband, he's giving up and gonna go for ISDN. Will he be able to stay with UTV telephony and avail of their flatrate service, or will he be required to, ahem, downgrade to an eircom line, and hence, lose UTV flatrate?

thanks in advance,
    lampsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

UTV are your carrier - they take care of your calls, not your line.
    afaik, as long as you retain the same number there shouldn't be a problem, but give UTV a call anywyas to make sure.

With ISDN, you get two channels, right, so do you get two/a second phone number aswell?
    if so how would this affect CLI stuff like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

You do indeed get a second phone line.

sutty? u had to pay to keep your old number??
    i didnt have to pay extra to keep my old number 2 yrs ago. Unless they got me on the sly, dont think they did tho?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]

Is there an old post with questions like this or something? Also could some1 tell me how much alltogether the line rental is per month?

Thnxs
    As an aside you are not "renting a line" - you are subscribing to a service. "Line rental" is bog language used by eircom, vodafone and others. There is no line running to one's mobile phone. The copper pair(s) running to your house/apartment/villa could equally carry PSTN/ISDN/xDSL or even HDTV (high definition TV) provided by any service provider on the planet who chose to enter the market. The only occasion when "line rental" might honestly enter the equation is in the case of a point to point leased line.

Surely it is time that ComReg stamped on these incumbent bastards for using misleading and anti-competitive "you have no choice" implied terminology?

The Eircom price list is hidden deep and difficult to get at within "About Eircom" > "Eircom Activities" > Eircom Price List > Accept the disclaimer* > Retail Service Offerings > etc.

Roam with a TV camera and mic anywhere in Ireland and ask internet users (not to mind the public at large) where they might find the cost of various eircom services on the net. One suspects that one would have a better chance getting the winning lotto number!

R.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive ordered isdn and intend using nolimits which i have for 3 years now with my poxy 56k.
    Am i missing something or is this all in order? ie isdn and nolimits?
    Anything else i should know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Originally posted by Dcully
    Ive ordered isdn and intend using nolimits which i have for 3 years now with my poxy 56k.
    Am i missing something or is this all in order? ie isdn and nolimits?
    Anything else i should know about?

AFAIR this service is CLI based. If the ISDN number you use to access this service is different from the PSTN number you previously used you will either have to register your new ISDN number with them OR send them your old PSTN number in your ISDN CLI setup.

Caution! BT don't appear to want residential customers on their books - be it analog no limits or DSL. They might take the opportunity to dump you if you aren't careful!

R.

Can i not access nolimits on ISDN with the number i use for my 56k ? I thought nolimits has a number you dial and thats it.
    Can i not use this number with isdn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Richard Barry
    AFAIR this service is CLI based. If the ISDN number you use to access this service is different from the PSTN number you previously used you will either have to register your new ISDN number with them OR send them your old PSTN number in your ISDN CLI setup.

It is indeed CLI based, be forewarned that eircom will change your CLI back to them when you upgrade (haha) your line to ISDN. This has been reported by a few people, they were faced with huge phone bills. So just make sure you call UTV and monitor the situation when you change over by dialing UTV's provider number, which i think is 111222333, im not 100% sure.

Check out the UTVip thread on the ireland offline forum, be prepared to read, i think there are 60 odd pages :), start around the middle and make your way to the end.

HTH,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by flamegrill
    It is indeed CLI based, be forewarned that eircom will change your CLI back to them when you upgrade

No, the CLI should be the same with a bit of care as the other posts above said, ring yer mobile before and after the upgrade and the Caller Id should be identical...thats sorted then.

What Eircom DO break during the upgrade is the CPS or Carrier Pre-Select on your analogue line and thereby route all calls on your line back through Eircom instead of ESAT or UTV or NTL if you were using them instead.

You must ensure that the Eircom biddy who takes your order is forewarned that you wish to continue all pre-existing CPS arrangements after the upgrade,tell her who your carrier is and get her name.......

M

THIS IS A LOAD OF BOLLOX FOR **** SAKE ALL I WANT TO DO IS
    access the net with nolimits and get isdn from eircom ,how can they screw people like this ?
    Im still rather confused ,is there hidden costs or not what is the story ? Does anybody know?

Ive been in contact with one guy who uses nolimits and isdn and says all is well with no crazy hidden charges .

Now im reading threads saying all sorts of what is gobbledigook to me about hidden stuff.
    Do you need to be an expert in communication to ensure you are not being conned ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Dcully

Do you need to be an expert in communication to ensure you are not being conned ?

:D , you're welcome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Muck
    What Eircom DO break during the upgrade is the CPS or Carrier Pre-Select on your analogue line and thereby route all calls on your line back through Eircom instead of ESAT or UTV or NTL if you were using them instead.

This happened to me so be careful when you get isdn, they 'forget' to tell you that they re-route their calls
    Can i not access nolimits on ISDN with the number i use for my 56k ? I thought nolimits has a number you dial and thats it.

Yes you can through the analogue channel(more stable connection though), it works for some(didnt work for me) and not for others who were on 56k no-limits.
    Can i not use this number with isdn?

not when connecting on the digital channel, afaik no-limits only works on analogue(see above)

utvip and netsmart(?) do work on isdn(digital channel), not sure it they work on analogue channel, i guess a separate account would be needed on each channel (open to correction here!)

Thanks for that guys ,so what your saying is if nolimits doesnt work out atleast i can get Utv ip or netsmart?
    When you say Eircom re-route their calls does this mean that if i do acces via nolimits, Eircom will charge me anyways for time online?
    Sorry for these questions guys but for those of us not in the know its all very tricky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement