Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo?

Options
  • 04-04-2000 6:26pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got the skinny on the PC version of this?

Any info will do, looks damned good but then thats the prerelease marketing bumph...

Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fool

http://halo.bungie.org/ has forums screenshots and FAQs. it looks great. lovely phisics, and waves, lovely waves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

One minor problem...

It's third person, not first person. Which SUCKS, and will kill it as a game. Very pretty, but who is going to play a Third-Person game seriously online? That view just doesn't lend itself to any form of skilled play.

Tribes 2 looks less impressive technically, but is a better shot gameplay-wise.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been to the bungie site but its dripping with Mac stuff...

Shinji, you sure its 3 person? Is there a playable demo or anything or are you going on the in game rolling demo thing they have...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Rob, don't condemn it before you've played it. When people think of 3rd person they automatically think of Tomb Raider but Halo is suppose to play a lot different to it so wait and see.

ps: you have a fps superioraty complex wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Chubby - I do indeed. In my experience, third-person shooters don't give you the sort of level of control required to pull off the type of moves that we all love so much in competitive gaming. Can you imagine trying to play Tribes in third-person view?

Dev - Bungie's PR states that it's a third-person game, and all the demos I've seen of it (haven't had a chance to play it, but I've seen it being played very ineptly by a PR muppet if that counts...) have shown no indication that a first-person view exists. If one does, I'm gonna be happy indeed... but the fact that no mention has been made of it does not bode well.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fool

Halo is FPS only with the sniper rifle, so it prolly will suck. i'd still buy it though, just as a driving game(anyone see the trailer with the jeep?)

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 05-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Can you imagine trying to play Tribes in third-person view?
    I've tried that in a duel (both using 3rd person) and it was pretty playable. Aiming ranged weapons needs a bit of getting used to is all though you obviously don't have the same amount of control. 3rd person will work pretty well for melee weapons like that shiny machete in the Halo demos and those rockets with the swirling trials could be fire and forget homing rockets.

Just keep in mind that it's not a fps, it's something different (thank god, there're too many to be honest and getting sick of it). What's with the "it's crap cause it's not a fps" attitude anyway? That's like saying cartoons are for kids with no plot or depth, they are set in fantasy worlds containing uninteresting characters. Nothing to be taken serious when compared to movies. I am sure you've seen enough anime to disagree. If Halo turns out to be crap we will slam it like there's no tomorrow okay? wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 paw

Bungie have yet to produce a game with bad gameplay. So the fact that they have the graphics side of Halo nailed bodes really well. Bungie are storyline masters (the Marathon series had a fantastic plot). Of course you mightn't care, but i'm tired of games which are all eye-candy and no plot.

paw

Advertisement