Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netwerk aint werking

Options
  • 24-12-2002 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Finally got myself a D-Link10/100 (DFE-650TXD) PC-Card (€50 in Maplins, even though price said €70, nice job Sergio) to connect my PC and Laptop. Got 3Metres of Cat5 UTP Network Cable with RJ45 connectors aswell.

Followed instructions on CD, booted up Laptop (Win98), stuck PCMCIA card in... installed, fine. Plugged the cable into onboard LAN in PC running Win2k (VIA VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, KD7 mobo) and rebooted both machines.

Nothing shows up in Network Neighbourhood.

Whats wrong with this picture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by PiE
    Whats wrong with this picture?
    Originally posted by PiE
    Got 3Metres of Cat5 UTP Network Cable with RJ45 connectors aswell.

Have you got a hub? If not, is this crossover cable? If both answers are no, there's your prob. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Feck.

Feck. Feck.

Feck. Feck. Feck.

Gimp in the shop said it was the same thing.

Fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by PiE
    Feck.

Feck. Feck.

Feck. Feck. Feck.

Gimp in the shop said it was the same thing.

Fecker.

You actually thought that someone in Maplin's knew what they were talking about? You silly bugger :p

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

If you don't have link lights then check the systray on win2k.
    Is there an extra icon down there for the network with a red x through it? If so then you are not connected.
    You need a Crossover cable.
    And you can tell this by looking at both ends of the cable the wires should not be in the same place on both cables.

Aye, got it working with the crossover cable... kind've...

I can access the shared folders on the laptop (win98) from the PC with full read/write permissions, but when i try to connect to the PC (Win2k) from the laptop I get a "not accessible / no permission to access resource." message.

I've set up the shares with full access for "Everyone" on PC...

Any ideas whats wrong with that picture? :]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Create a user on the win2k box with the same name that you log onto the win98 box with.

Or try enable the guest account on the win2k machine. Not certain if that will work, adding a user definitely will though.

Gav

Ah lovely, worked.

Cheers Verb :]

Advertisement