Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex - What a game!

Options
  • 24-12-2002 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I picked up Deus Ex (now on budget) and my what a game! I have only started to play this for Christmas and my first impressions is a cross between half-life and thief. "Thief" because of the sneak element to it. The story line has me snared and it won't let go. Heeelp! :)

Anyways, just one quickie before I head back into it: Is there any real way to gauge how well the enemy can spot you? ie how close or how bright must it be before they spot you (if your crouched and by a wall lets say)? I must confess I love the covert approach to the game!

How this I miss this gem? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Deus Ex is an excellent game alright.
    Is great craic over LAN with alot of people.
    I dont think theres any way of knowing how "invisible" you are to
    enemies while in the dark but its been a while since i've played it.
    Maybe someone else can help you out there.
    Roll on Deus Ex 2 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Dunno bout visibily, I always used my silenced pistol (I had my pistol upgraded to the last - loved that wee thing) and pop em in the back of the head before they looked in my direction :)

Its a classic game aye, the best single player FPS I've played, dunno about multiplayer though, never really tried it properly. How you went for so long without having to pick it up is a mystery tho, once it went down to 10 yoyo's it had to be mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

<B>How you went for so long without having to pick it up is a mystery tho</B>

Yeah.. yeah... I know. I guess I was distracted by Half-life and then Thief. Must certainly address the situation! Especially since Deus Ex 2 is supposely coming out 2003 Q2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Dues Ex is an excellent game on the PC but it's conversion onto the Playstation 2 is a load of tripe IMO.

I've been playing it on and off on my laptop but since my USB mouse broke I haven't played it cos I aint got a PS2 mouse

[note to self]Must go and get another damn mouse so I can play the kickass game[/note to self]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Deus Ex is simply a game every PC owner should have (even if you dont like it ;)). Absolute class settings,story,characters, the whole sehbang really :).
    always used my silenced pistol
    Pah, Master rifles, then whip out an upgraded up the arse silenced sniper rifle:). Takes out ANYTHING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Yes, deus Ex is a fantastic game. The depth is phenomenal.
    Another one of those games that, when I see it on budget, I feel impulsed to buy again!!

Deus Ex2 looks really cool, yet another game to look forward to. I'm gonna have to take on a second job:(

I'm really getting into this and I'm now at Hell's Kitchen NY. The story is gripping as hell. And I'm trying (wish to) to take out the NSF with non-lethal methods but it's proving tricky even on 1 to 1 basis at times.

How did ye manage this? Well, I have tried using riot control gas (damages me slightly) but I get to knock 'em out. Sometimes I use fire extinguishers and then knock them out.

The prod stunner is good but limited ammo. Using the baton is risky and rarely works at "trained". Is it worth going for "master" with low-tech weapons.

I like the silenced pistol but seems unfair! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

having master on low tech weapons is very handy later on =)

it's a great game, and really u can play it whatever way u want to, aug's, weapons, stealth, brute etc. I tried to take a balanced approach, but always sniped when possible, following up with the assault rifle, seemed to stead me well throughout.

Game was brilliant to play through though, esp. the way the story unfolds, single handedly rescued ion storm after the daikatana debacle. Still been meaning to play through it using cheats :) was only able to snipe with a steady aim for last 10% of the game, rest of the time was compensating all the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Deus Ex a cross between half-life and thief. "Thief" because of the sneak element to it. The story line has me snared and it won't let go. Heeelp! :)

well you're on track, cause the creators of deus ex brought us thief, the founders or founder behind the magic of thief went onto create deus ex, and a gem in it's own right! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by theciscokid
    well you're on track, cause the creators of deus ex brought us thief, the founders or founder behind the magic of thief went onto create deus ex, and a gem in it's own right! :D
    According to MobyGames, they didnt share a single programmer or designer...

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think it was Looking Glass Technology. The same guys who did System Shock I/II and the Ultima Underworld series.

Fab games in their own right. Wouldn't mind an updated Ultima Underworld 3 right now. But Ultima X was crap I heard. ie it was a bug-feast.

Ah.. almost forgot. In Deus Ex, do fags have any benefit? I tried them out and my chest area just suffers as you'd expect but I thought that from reading elsewhere that the ciggies help you restore bio-energy. Maybe you can distract the enemy by leaving a packet on the ground ala Commandos? Also what is it about the flares!!! I have 18 of these guys and really haven't found a good use for these yet. I tried using them as a distraction.. kinda works but not worth carrying around for.

Now I gotta go back to Hell's Kitchen again and deal with that hostage situation at Ton's Hotel. :)

Originally posted by Celt
    According to MobyGames, they didnt share a single programmer or designer...

http://games.ign.com/objects/025/025261.html

the above is the list of looking glass titles

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,127/

the above there is a list warren spector is credited too, now it does specify that this does not imply employment by these companies..

i'd say he is one of the most importatnt programmer/designers of the last ten years at least ,

he worked on thief and he worked on deus ex, created by ion storm, hell he is the genius behind alot of classic gaming genres

Wow! Warren spector has brushed by titles that were/are top notch. Wonder if he'll be credited a mention for Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Cant wait for Deus Ex 2, the first one was excellent.

The music was one of the best parts. I have a lot of it saved as files for winamp.

Yeah, the music is pretty good and adds to the atmosphere. The one I'm on now: Hell's Kitchen is excellent. More of that Blade Runner feel to it.

I think Ion Storm have put some of their tracks as .mp3 on there website according to an faq I came across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by theciscokid
    http://games.ign.com/objects/025/025261.html

the above is the list of looking glass titles

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,127/

the above there is a list warren spector is credited too, now it does specify that this does not imply employment by these companies..

i'd say he is one of the most importatnt programmer/designers of the last ten years at least ,

he worked on thief and he worked on deus ex, created by ion storm, hell he is the genius behind alot of classic gaming genres
    *shrugs* It just credits him under "Special thanks to..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Jesus, all these people who were shocked and thrilled at Deus Ex and the like need to get some serious System Shock skillz.

I'm one of those weird people who didn't get all the hype around Half-Life and Deus Ex.

It's all been done before, people...

A heavy name mentioned in the credits always helps sales. Is John Romero still working for Ion Storm? Especially after Daikatana... I don't think that went down too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm one i have missed also though have seen it around a lot perhaps i should pick it up alright with all the hype about it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by hamster
    A heavy name mentioned in the credits always helps sales. Is John Romero still working for Ion Storm? Especially after Daikatana... I don't think that went down too well.

i found this on the net, he now works at Monkeystone and also started teaching engine development at the University of Texas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by Sico
    Jesus, all these people who were shocked and thrilled at Deus Ex and the like need to get some serious System Shock skillz.

I'm one of those weird people who didn't get all the hype around Half-Life and Deus Ex.

It's all been done before, people...

System shock 2 has to be one of the best games I've ever played. Never really understood why the system shock games didn't do as well as half life or dues ex did. Still roll on the fps that aren't of the "push button get key" gameplay varity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Took you long enough to find out about Deus Ex. I went out and bought my first 3d card just to play the bleedin thing. About 3 months ago I played system shock 2, which is essentially the same game in many respects, an almost identical interface and feel, although not as good as Deus Ex it still kicks sand in the face of 95% of titles released in the last 3 years. If you like Deus Ex and finish it, go find yourself a copy of system shock 2, you will thank me later. If you are having trouble locating a copy let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Gamesworld have Deus Ex for about €15 nowadays.

Actually I was thinking about System Shock 2. I read a lot of it online - and one thing that a lot of folk pointed out was it - fanastic intelligent game but... hit by a lot of un-necessary bugs? Is this true, did any of the patches help? If so, I will definitely come back to that. I loved their earlier work - put into Ultima Underworld I & II.

Better late than never... this Deus Ex story is taking some twists! Off to Asia now but my pilot is locked down at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Yeah System Shock 2 won't run on my machine, it's windows 2000 professional, service pack 3. It gives me a message saying that it won't work with a version of directx below 6.1, although I have version 9. I don't know if theres any patch for it either.

Other than that though, it supposedly works well enough in Win 9x machines. In Win XP, you can play the game in compatibility mode, so I think it's a problem with any Windows computer based on Win NT.

As for Deus Ex, great game :). Silenced pistol is great up close, but once you master the sniper rifle, picking off targets become childs play. It's especially fun if you see them running around miles away when you shoot one of them, while you're at your vantage point just decimating them with a few shots :D.

If you're concerned with taking people down without killing them (pffft :P) then you should use the crossbow with tranquiliser rounds. Just be sure to stay out of their way once they're hit, as they run around for a little time afterwards until the tranquiliser takes effect. Also an effective distraction is throwing objects at or near the enemy, he will always turn in the direction of the noise for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Is it true that there is going to be a movie based on deus ex? I read something about it in a magazine a while back.. can anyone confirm this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

just started @ Xmas my self, it really good.

About the visability thing, i think that i depends on the darkness of ur backround and (prob) if crouched or not. I think that they may have a line of sight simular to MGS (metal gear solid)

I'm getting a feel for the alertness abilities of the guards now. Crouching and being near a wall definitely helps if a dark area isn't nearby. They can't see too well at a distance either but will reaction eventually. It seems they have just about 180 degree vision. I'll like the thief-like second or two of doubt they have ("I swore I thought I saw somthing") if you get out of view in time. Maybe they will have an optional smaller version of the light indicator that is used in thief 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by hamster
    It seems they have just about 180 degree vision. I'll like the thief-like second or two of doubt they have ("I swore I thought I saw somthing") if you get out of view in time.

they almost certanly do not have 180 degree vision. I have been inside the 180 and have not been seen, if u dont move and are crouched u can get away with it pretty good, also if they loose you they forget about it and go back to whatever they were doing before

Advertisement