Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Browser

Options
  • 25-12-2002 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place for this but :

I am looking for an internet browser that is:

1. Compatibeele wiith most of the sites on the net
    2. has a good built in media player(only music necassary)
    3. Has good browsing tools
    4. Is skinnable(not essential)
    5. is really really good :P

Ne ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Opera (.com) fits that nicely, except for the media player, but for that you should be using Winamp, to be honest. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by daveirl
    Mozilla does all that and more http://www.mozilla.com

And it's free and open source!!

Yeah, I've been using Mozilla on my home pc for ages, it's great. Mail/News client is pretty good too.
    Like phaxx said, use Winamp for the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Mozilla does all that and more http://www.mozilla.com

And it's free and open source!!

Mozilla is God... No browser comes close to its power and compatiblity.
    Plus, you can run applications using its source code ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Bah, stop being anti-ms. Like it or not it pretty much fits all those descriptions.

Most sites out there are now designed with IE in mind and other browsers are second priority.

Opera is horrible for most sites because alot of people think about netscape slightly when designing and don't even know of opera.

I could be wrong about Mozilla never used it but oh well

• Advertisement

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Opera is horrible for most sites

Rubbish. I use it all the time, everything except the odd badly designed site works perfectly in it. Try the latest version, and then come back to me and say it's "horrible".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I downloaded Phoenix the other day, and I've been using it ever since... you should give it a shot, it's great :)

I'll probably get Phonenix for the browsing once they've separated the Mail/News into a seperate program.
    What do you mean by that? AFAIK Phoenix doesnt have anything for reading mail/news...

Btw, another good thing about Phoenix is that it's just a 6 meg download :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Bah, stop being anti-ms. Like it or not it pretty much fits all those descriptions.

I'm not being anti MS, I just prefer Mozilla.
    I could be wrong about Mozilla never used it but oh well

Download it and see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Just wanna say thumbs up for mozilla too. Been using it ages and its class, the tabs are great, and banner block and the personal favourites tool bar aswell as mmmmm mouse gestures rule. I can't stand using IE after using it. Just doesn't have any features. Oh and the simple google or mulitple searchengines are lovely too and all work from the address bar. Ah there loads of other little things, i think you should download it and use it for 2weeks with out using IE and you'll be hooked on it. Downside is that its not great to customise but the modern theme is very nice. The only bad thing with it is the orginal splash screen which is too big and not very nice, but that can be changed with a reghacker. and some people find it slow to start up but ya can stick a quick start thingy in the taskbar if ya want. I don't think its slow but usin a fast computer, think its only an issue on a slower computer.

Another heads up to Morzilla...
    It is Netscape/IE and extra knowledgable...

If you find a site that works for IE and not Morzilla it is probably falling for the IE (non-STRICK HTML) tags.

If a HTML/XML page isn't proporly validated then its a craapy page. IE might load it...cause you guessed it... IE supports shiit scriptors....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

kk, thank ye, so, which do i get, phoenix or mozilla?

ooh, and does ne1 no of a project which embedss winamp in mozilla?

Unlikely i no but wahey

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Just trying Mozilla there, seems a lot slower then IE imo. I don't mean slow to load in itself, but very slow opening new pages, esp those with images. Earlier i read that this could happen to those running slower machines, mine is an athlon 700 with 384 megs ram.

Doesn't even display the menu bar accross the top correctly (is annoyingly close the the thread title), and my middle button on the mouse doesnt work right (eg, in IE clicking the wheel allows you to move VERY quickly up and down large pages. Mozilla only allows me to scroll very slowly). I'd like to use something better then IE, but I honestly dont think Mozilla was worth my one hour download :/

That's not a dig at those who've recommended it, just my opinion. That IS what we're here for right? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by kamobe
    Just trying Mozilla there, seems a lot slower then IE imo. I don't mean slow to load in itself, but very slow opening new pages, esp those with images.
    Be careful in drawing conclusions. You've been using IE for ages, building up a large browser cache which obviously speeds up the pages you frequent. Mozilla doesn't share a cache with IE so it starts from scratch.
    Doesn't even display the menu bar accross the top correctly (is annoyingly close the the thread title)
    What version of Mozilla did you download? 1.2.1 or 1.3a? The latter is a beta release.
    my middle button on the mouse doesnt work right (eg, in IE clicking the wheel allows you to move VERY quickly up and down large pages. Mozilla only allows me to scroll very slowly).
    That's a setting in Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Mouse Wheel. Nearby you'll notice Scripts & Plugins settings wherein lies Mozzie's killer feature. Popup blocking. You can turn off JavaScript's power to open windows and do all the other nasty things the advertisers are doing these days.

Very good :)
    What version of Mozilla did you download? 1.2.1 or 1.3a? The latter is a beta release.
    I'm using 1.2.1, beta's just annoy me....
    Be careful in drawing conclusions. You've been using IE for ages, building up a large browser cache which obviously speeds up the pages you frequent. Mozilla doesn't share a cache with IE so it starts from scratch.
    When i say it's slow, i refer to new pages only. That is, if i open a new page with IE, and a new page with Mozilla, IE seems to load it quicker....

To clarify, once it has 'cached', it is just as quick.
    That's a setting in Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Mouse Wheel. Nearby you'll notice Scripts & Plugins settings wherein lies Mozzie's killer feature. Popup blocking. You can turn off JavaScript's power to open windows and do all the other nasty things the advertisers are doing these days.
    The ONE thing that's turning me away is the wheel. I see the options you’re pointing to, BUT, if you have one of these mouses (mice?) and IE, press it. You'll see an arrow appear, and the farther you move the mouse away from the arrow, the a faster the page scrolls in that direction. It is effectively an alternative to grabbing the side bar and moving it up and down, without actually having to do it. It's something I use a lot, and I'm not prepared to go without it! :)

The pop-up blocking is quite tempting though....

Just felt I should mention that rapid scrolling with the middle button has always worked for me in Opera, and it also supports blocking of popups, or opening them in the background.

I use Opera together with Webwasher (ad filtering proxy) and I rarely see a banner, and never a popup ad.

I'd advise anyone who looked at Opera before and didn't like it to have another look - version 7 introduced a new rendering engine which speeded things up greatly, and brought proper skin support. (I hate it, but thats me :))

Install this:
    http://autoscroll.mozdev.org/
    To get the autoscroll thing that IE has.
    I like the way that Phoenix opens the link in a new tab when you press the mousewheel, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Lord of Terror
    I like the way that Phoenix opens the link in a new tab when you press the mousewheel, though.
    Me too. I certainly wouldn't trade it for a poor equivalent of a mouse wheel.

The auto scroll project certainly appears to be working fine :)

Still doesn’t read pages correctly though. For Example:

mozilla.jpg

See there where usenet on the homepage is in behind the menu bar, rather then below it?

I do like the pop-up blocking, but I also like to see pages the way they're intended to be viewed. And most developers design with IE in mind, and nothing else. I see potential, it's almost there, but not for me (yet).

EDIT: Incidentally, the 'wheel click' to load a new page in a tab, AND the auto scroll work together. If any of ye haven’t been using the auto scroll, I do recommend it, it's very handy.

it reads pages perfectly

its just that it seems the boards.ie isn't perfect

ah well... if their mods are anything to go by ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

key words for full addie bars addresses and group bookmarks are class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

using opera 6.05 atm
    Can't complain.
    have to sort out the web proxy thing for the drop down menu.js yoke though.
    Doesn't always load.
    like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I'm sure mozilla is great and all but the site seems to be down.. not too impressed so far :D

Plus i'm sure IE is faster to start up and render pages because it's an integral part of Windows, must try Mozilla anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    I'm sure mozilla is great and all but the site seems to be down.. not too impressed so far :D
    It's mozilla.org, not mozilla.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

I'd recommend Crazybrowser ( http://www.crazybrowser.com )

from their site..
    "Crazy Browser is a powerful Web browser. It has the ability to open multiple sites and windows inside a single browser task. It also has a Smart Popup Filter - it blocks all the annoying popups automatically."

It uses IE rendering engine to render the Web pages

• Advertisement

Advertisement