Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2002 - The List of Badguys

Options
  • 25-12-2002 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Who were the people that hindered progress this year in bringing about Flat Rate and Broadband ? Here are my nominations. They are not in any order. See my other thread for the Good Guys

Bad Guys:

1. Etain Doyle
    Another brilliant year of being afraid to take on the Telcos. Well Done !

2. Philip Nolan
    Especially with recent comments. Choose to use Eircom ? My arse I do. I have no choice. For running a company that only cares about squeezing money out of a people hungry for broadband. Shame on you.

3. Esat BT
    Stall stall stall stall, "its not us its them " , comfortable in a duopoly isn't it ? Only when UTV made a move did you try and make a counter move. Mouthing off in public about how you really are trying but in reality you don't care.

4. Mary O'Rourke
    Well at least you got yours. The people have decided. Pity there wasn't more of your kind taken out in the Election. You really were a big help in getting us placed 27th out of 30.

5. Bertie Ahern
    Not listening to the people Bertie but leaving the cronies in the Cabinet mess things up in the areas they looked after. Caring too much about the Bertie Bowl and not enough about helping Irish Business and ordinary folks (the people you drink next to in your local in Drumcondra now and then ) get cheaper telco access.

You really don't get it do you ? The more people communicating using phones, text messages, computers or any means, the greater the value of the network and the greater the amount of knowledge exchanged.

6. The Irish People
    For not voting wisely and giving the tossers in power a greater ego. Now they think they are less answerable than ever before. For not speaking up enough about expensive phone calls, rip off net access and a bunch of Telcos that would put the dodgy dealings of Tony Soprano to shame. We can't point and blame without taking some of the credit ourselves.

7. The EU
    You interfere about fish and you don't care about a crumbling IT infrastructure. All talk and papers, no action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

You've forgotton a certain Irish telecom company, starts with E, ends in M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think eircom are a given in the villians list! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Philip Nolan is their dark prince in charge. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by yellum

I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I particularly despise mary o rurke. What a Backstabber !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

eircomisevil.jpg

Is it an "evil" telecommunications company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Beam and NTL

For all the vapour they have wafted into these forums in 2002

M

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

how about 'small tiny area in south dublin' broadband? 3 months ago I mailed them asking when they'd be offering a service anywhere else. 'Should' take about three months before we expand to other parts of dublin'. Three months i sent the same mail, got the same reply....

And that thread is really annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

that is most pimplacious indeedy so it it.

One of their marketing bunnies came onto boards pimping IBB as well...early autumn ISTR....got smacked hard.

while I would not mark them down in the evil doers list for the year I would have expected the mods to crack down on the circuitous pimping by now. Replace the thread with a coverage map showing 3 South Dublin postcodes and lock it maybe?

Can I have me line of sight test in Galway now lads ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Aye Muck, but with so little choice in proper, cheap enough broadband here, people tend to forgive anything really... like people in the IBB thread saying they've been waiting three months for them to set up LOS tests but still being friendly and ready to slap them the dosh...
    And someone mentioned he got it, but it went down the other day and is still down.

If it was say... over in the UK it'd be "well, you can go and shyte, I'll just give me money to someone who can do the job", but here it's "well.... it's not really acceptable but who else is there?".

Pocsaí :)

zynaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I'd add chorus to that list with their powernet crap and their constant lies "in 3 months" ....

BTW, I pretty much forgot about Beam, another bunch of muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

/DEVILS ADVOCATE/

Bad Guys:

1. Etain Doyle
    Another brilliant year of being afraid to take on the Telcos. Well Done !

Her office have been involved in negotiations for FRIACO for the last 6 months. We are now seeing the fruit of those meetings.

3. Esat BT
    Stall stall stall stall, "its not us its them " , comfortable in a duopoly isn't it ? Only when UTV made a move did you try and make a counter move. Mouthing off in public about how you really are trying but in reality you don't care.

Involved in the same negotiations which utv have NOT been involved in. Brought about some competition by at least trying to bring competion to the broadband market
    5. Bertie Ahern
    Not listening to the people Bertie but leaving the cronies in the Cabinet mess things up in the areas they looked after. Caring too much about the Bertie Bowl and not enough about helping Irish Business and ordinary folks (the people you drink next to in your local in Drumcondra now and then ) get cheaper telco access.

More people that he drinks with care about soccer than the internet. thats just the way it is. You cant blame bertie for everything. The minister he appointed has been a huge part of speeding up the FRIACO negotiations that we are seeing now.
    6. The Irish People
    For not voting wisely .

yes , you silly people. How dare you vote for any other platform than internet access.

The rest of that is verging on politcs, which im not even going to touch.

I dont think any of these people are entirely blameless, it just seems a bit harsh to blame almost everyone to hand for whats going on without giving any credit whatsoever*.

*edit - heh, just saw the other thread. ok, that should "without giving any credit to them whatsoever"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Negotiated FRIACO?

What a waste of time. Other national regulators have IMPOSED friaco rates on incumbents using exactly the same EU legislation Doyle has. The whole thing shouldn't have required negotiating at all. The regulator should be able to cut through the sh*t and draw up the framework the telco are *required* to operate in - that's its legal function after all. Not to make polite requests about what might possibly be convenient - to say "You want a licence to do business? Here's the rules. like it or lump it, pal."

Definate #1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I don't know much of the details, but I'm not sure 'negotiations' is the best word to describe what went on since that would imply a number of parties seeking a common goal with each standing to gain something from the transaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Devils Devils Advocate (Does this make me an angel?)

Her office have been involved in negotiations for FRIACO for the last 6 months. We are now seeing the fruit of those meetings.

Her office should have mandated FRIACO two years ago, possibly three. She has been the single biggest obstacle to affordable Internet access in Ireland. Her failures have far outweighed her successes on all fronts. An absolute waste of space, I wouldn't piss on Etain Doyle if she was on fire.

Involved in the same negotiations which utv have NOT been involved in.

That's an Etain Doyle-like misrepresentation of the facts. Yes, they should have come down here themselves and brought more pressure to bear, but Nevadatele is in active negotations, and Nevadatele is their operator in the South. It's arguable that their contribution would have had any affect whatsoever.

Brought about some competition by at least trying to bring competion to the broadband market

In Esat BT's dictionary, under "Competition" it says "See Duopoly" and "Yaaay Us".

More people that he drinks with care about soccer than the internet. thats just the way it is.

That's how you run a banana republic, not a democracy.

You cant blame bertie for everything.

Of course I can, he's the bloody Taoiseach.

The minister he appointed has been a huge part of speeding up the FRIACO negotiations that we are seeing now.

I've yet to see a service. Sorry, I'm not applauding anyone until I see a service. I don't see an affordable broadband product either, I might add.

yes , you silly people. How dare you vote for any other platform than internet access.

Pick a platform, any platform, he lied about each and every one of them. He's a bigger liar than Philip Nolan, if that's possible. C'mon Bertie, sue me, you lying sack of sh1t.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The minister he appointed has been a huge part of speeding up the FRIACO negotiations that we are seeing now.

I've yet to see a service. Sorry, I'm not applauding anyone until I see a service. I don't see an affordable broadband product either, I might add.[/B]
    There can't be any services based on FRIACO because FRIACO isn't yet available! Comreg have merely announced their intention to impose it.

Also, FRIACO does not lead directly to retail services. This depends on the ISPs and OLOs, not Ahern or Comreg.

Why don't you state something a little more obvious Mike. What colour is grass again? :)

I'll try that a little more politely: That was precisely my point.

Frankly, the backslapping on the FRIACO thread was just a wee bit embarassing. I refuse to celebrate, since there is still a good chance that Eircom will take legal action, or even that ComReg will make a complete haimes of it.

Perhaps Etain will change her mind again, eh? If she can find the time that is...

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Frankly, the backslapping on the FRIACO thread was just a wee bit embarassing. I refuse to celebrate, since there is still a good chance that Eircom will take legal action, or even that ComReg will make a complete haimes of it.
    It appeared to me that you were downplaying comreg's announcement of intention to impose FRIACO on Eircom on the basis that no retail products were yet available. This to me seemed unreasonable since they would have little control over these.

The important event will be when FRIACO actually exists. Then it will be over to UTV, ESAT and other ISPs to make use of it. Congratulations will, in my opinion, be in order to Comreg for making it possible even if the ISPs don't play along. Congratulations will also be due if comreg imposed FRIACO and were subsequently sued by Eircom because again, this would be outside their control.

Your point is taken Mike. I still don't think I'll be applauding ComReg though. I may very well applaud Minister Ahern if a reasonable wholesale price is set for FRIACO[1], and I could well applaud the grunts in ComReg who write the rulesets, but I certainly won't be applauding the leadership in ComReg, or at least the former leadership of the ODTR. Again though, I'll hold off for a while. We've been hammered too many times in the past to applaud anyone at this point.

adam

[1] Which, given the horrendous prices set for broadband, isn't really a given at this point. The Minister will have to tread on some more toes to get it set at a reasonable price.

Ok, I'll let you off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Wonder who has 3.5Million to spare? And has a permanant Smile?

OHP

P.S. No its not a stitched job (that would cost him money)

Advertisement