Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiss Dp-450 Dvd Player

Options
  • 25-12-2002 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can buy the Kiss Dp-450 dvd player in Dublin????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Never even heard of that player, so my first guess would be a resounding no.
    Unless its one of the unknown brand players that powercity sometimes get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭skorn

its the 1st dvd player to support Divx (Mpeg4) playback.
    should retail for 400 Euro.
    check out: http://www.kissdvd.com/

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, Scan.co.uk are selling them for STG£245.58 if that's any help. Scan seem to have a bad reputation though if things go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hmm just looking at the specs... 400 euros seems a hella lot for something which the only extras it has are prog. scan and mpeg4/divx playback... and they don't even list THD figures on their site... take out the mpeg playback and you can get a similar or better spec. machine for around €160-€180.

So it comes down to whether you want to spend 240 euros on a Divx player or use the tv-out on your pc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Just wondering if anyone ever bought one of these and what you thought?

Scan.co.uk is selling them for STG£152.69 now. Anyone got any Irish sites selling them for a reasonable price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

http://www.buy4now.ie/galaxy/

I'm hoping for another manufacturer to pick up Divx as these are overpriced. It's a long wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

I would think that a lot of companies will end up jumping on the DIVX playback bandwagon within the next 8-12 months. Just look at the DVD players a few years ago - hardly any offered MP3 playback, now most of them seem to.

The Kiss DVD player seems like a nice idea, but I'm willing to wait a year or so to see who else comes into the market to drive the prices down.

I found that scan.co.uk had the Kiss 450 on special offer at£119.95 (plus vat, so decided this is as good as it would get for a while anyway. So went to the shopping site to purchase. For anyone else who might decide to buy, this is the situation:

1 You cannot buy online. Telephone their Sales Dept on 0044 1204 474747
    2 There is a £30.00 shipping charge (before VAT), so it ends up being £176 odd before exchange rate, or approx €250 after.
    3 Still a lot cheaper than Galaxy Computers (€377)

It works the way they say. There is a new firmware upgrade which supports Divx 3.11, and a new region-free upgrade which works too. (you need to cut CDs to load upgrades). I'm very happy with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

ill it play reduced resolution vidro, i.e. less than 712x408?

will it play the latest divX files, 5.0.5 or whatever?

and will it play files using all of the features, GMC, Quarter Pixel etc? because if u enable these, the file doesnt conform to the DivX file standalone standards (see advanced tab on the encoder)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

a moded xbox is also an option - provided you get one that reads cdrs(has a samsung drive) otherwise you'll have to use rewrites and/or dvd (re)writes

• Advertisement

The latest firmware 2.6.8 supports Divx 3.11 to 5. Not sure if 5.05 is supported, but the firmware is only about 3 weeks old.

There is an option (tick-box) in Setup to Expand MPEG4 to full screen, which does the trick for small resolutions. Until I found this (its off by default), some of my AVIs played as 3"x2" pictures. I was disappointed as I thought the codec could not handle the format well. Then I found the setting .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

I read somewhere that a way had been found to boot linux on an unmodded xbox, doesnt this mean that divX's should be able to be played on an unmodded xbox?

also is the remote compatible with the DivX player?

The 450 remote works with Divx playing, but a bit limited. No fast forward or rewind, but stop, pause and play are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I bought the Kiss DP 500 Player ( with Ethernet connector)last week for €317 including delivery from french electronics site www.nomatica.com - Set the player up via crossover cable with my p.c (needed DHCP service so used DHCP Turbo (freeware) and can stream mp3s and divX , Xvid files onto player / tv ... Very nice. Scan.co.uk also have a special on them at the moment. They also supply a Multi region hack for them too.

The remote is a bit limited with DivX playback however you can use the search by time function to skip forwards / backwards in movies .... I'm well impressed with the player..ww)

Advertisement