Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amd dual CPU question

• 25-12-2002 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Just talking in general here, but in order to use this Dual cpu feature on some boards do you have to use MP athlons, or can you also use those Xp cpu's, i ask because If my memmory serves me right a few prototype dual boards by tryn where flooting about just pior to the Mp models launch and i think i recall people using standard Athlons with it and having no problems.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Boston
    Just talking in general here, but in order to use this Dual cpu feature on some boards do you have to use MP athlons, or can you also use those Xp cpu's, i ask because If my memmory serves me right a few prototype dual boards by tryn where flooting about just pior to the Mp models launch and i think i recall people using standard Athlons with it and having no problems.
    The motherboard BIOS will reject non-MP processors for SMP operation, but will happily function with a single XP processor. You can hack the bridges on an XP chip to make it pretend to be an MP - the same kind of thing you'd do to unlock the chip for overclocking - but it's not guaranteed to work and of course you can kiss goodbye to any kind of warranty on the processors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

thats what i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

A much more simple question here, but in the same general topic....

Could I have my current processor (athlon 700) and a new XP (say 2,100) set up together? Is there a such thing as a motherboard that would support these two? Feel free to slander if this is a stupid question :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

as far as i know the cpu's have to have the came clock speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

yeah, both have to be the same speed MP's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Just think of al the lovely syncing problems you'd have to solve for that to work :)

You *could* have a shared memory setup and make some sort of use of the two cpus, but the board would far out weigh the cost of a second MP in the region of 10,000 times.

Advertisement