Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java applets =(

• 25-12-2002 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

For some reason my browser can't run java applets.. i've tried everything and still no luck,
    I'm running internet explorer 6.0.2800.1106.xpclient.010817-1148 and windows xp professional
    I've tried messing with the security settings and setting them to lowest, i've reinstalled internet explorer completely, i've done everything i can possibly think of.

I get this when i try to run an applet: "alt="Your browser understands the <APPLET> tag but isn't running the applet, for some reason." Your browser is completely ignoring the <APPLET> tag!" and sometimes i just get a small red 'x'

Anyone got any ideas?
    Thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

you might be missing the sun java runtime env. (JRE)

MS refused to bundle it with XP there is load of ****e up about it...

goto sun and get the JRE.

its a shot in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

having this problem myself.... no matter what i try i cant get it working.... re-installing java etc.... nothing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

wish.. i tried it..
    it didn't work.. this is proving to be quite a problem.. =[
    i'm gonna try reinstall xp later.. see if that fixes anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

well even the most basic of applets should be able to run on even IE5, those applets that do not use swing components OR security issues.

best dload the latest JRE as was already suggested. This should give you the Sun Java Console when an applet loads, which allows you to determine the EXACT cause of the problem...

what applet are you trying to view ?

I downloaded a 38mb file from sun.com.. j2SDK ? I thought it was the one wish was talking about, there's another file that's beside it called j2re-1_4_0-03 that i'm downloading now..
    *crosses fingers* =o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

yep, thats all you should need is the plugin, bout 8 or 9 megs in size i think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I reformated today and all java is now working fine (quick install of the 8mb java from sun)

Strange thing is i did this on the last install and it didnt work but i said it was worth a try......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

if nothing works....
    for the despreate.... (did I spell that right)

download opera
    www.opera.com

it comes with java in the install package.

any way when you download the sdk you should not need to get the jre

the jre is a subset of the sdk (i thought)

Ok i installed that jre 9mb and its working perfectly now.. i wonder why it doesnt happen to all winxp pro users?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

They may have had the java development kit already installed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement