Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Sound

• 25-12-2002 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I get no sound, Its a Creative SB Live! and I have tried reinstalling the cd but the problem is still there, I go to Multimedia and the Playback, Recording selections are ghosted(i.e. Nothing there to be selected). Drivers install ok but, Still no sound... I cant spot anything I could do, never had a serious problem with sound before.

The Diagnostic Tool first complained about Sound Card not detected, then I ran the diagnostics tool, The results were:
    Hardware Detection Passed
    Hardware Passed
    Wave Driver Failed
    MIDI Driver Failed
    Mixer Driver Failed
    DirectSound3D Test Failed
    Registry Test Passed
    Mixer Setting Check Failed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

try uninstalling all the software and drivers, then removing the soundcard, switching it to another slot perhaps and then trying again :) anything conflicting or anything? hope it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I second all that Ruu just said, do a complete re-install.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Did that, Does nothing, Same problems

Did this problem just happpen after bootup one day, or had you
    taken the card or drivers out then put on or the other back, then the problem showed itself?

Yes I was removing drivers, bolloxing around. Erm I went in on safe mode on another machine, same OS, win98se and There were other drivers there under sound, that were not on the other machine. I was messing with drivers on that machine as well.

• Advertisement

try in ur bios setup, to see if ur sound card has its own IRQ or if its sharing maybe or something like that. have u tried the soundcard in any other machine?

No but Sound is heard during diagnostic, It checks the channels and stuff, so it does work.

Checked IRQ's BIOS said none were in conflict, but I could see what devices had which IRQ

The Wave Driver and the DirectSound3D Driver are the only two Tests failing now. I went to Add New Hardware and Installed, MS DirectMusic SW Synth, MS Audio Kernel Mixer, MS Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer, MS Kernel System Renderer.

I have recorder device and MIDI output but still no playback

try installing ur sblive as a sb pro or compatible card, i often did that with an old yamaha sound card i had and it worked ok

Let this be a lesson to all SB Live owners. Never muck about with SB Live drivers, they're murder. Good luck with your repairs, dempseyt.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Never had any problems with SB Live. I get my all my drivers of the internet though. (this was when I used my PC at home)

Is there any error messages at all?

Originally posted by mike65
    Let this be a lesson to all SB Live owners. Never muck about with SB Live drivers, they're murder. Good luck with your repairs, dempseyt.

Mike.

Its not so much the SB Live Drivers, Its that windows has lost its drivers that deal with the sound device, look at the first post again.

check msconfig and ur system.ini file, see if the sound drivers are loading in Windows, if not then ur talking re-installing Windows as the last resort, maybe something got corrupted or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are you using 98?? If so do a system file checker "sfc" and also do a scanreg /restore (from Dos) and set it back to before you arsed around with it.. should solve it if you are lucky... Short of a good ole Format!!

Hehe Formatting is fun though especially when you loose some of your start up drivers that you need for reinstallling drivers(I done that)

Also ended up installing windows 3.1 (from 24 floppy disks) because i lost the cd-rom drivers :(

Scanreg was ok, used sfc to restored some "updated" file to originals but did nothing for my problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Might sound a bit obvious but you should try doing a Windows update from Microsoft's site and it should pick up your problem and install the latest Driver

21/25

Uch,

you never think of the obvious when you need to though :(

DOH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Mite b worth goin into control panel-add/remove programs-windows setup-multimedia and making sure audio compression is ticked. It could ask for the win disk to add it back in.

Should be there already but u never know:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Runfree
    Also ended up installing windows 3.1 (from 24 floppy disks) because i lost the cd-rom drivers :(

Would have been easier to download a boot disc with the generic win98 CD drivers - works regardless of which version of Windows being installed (I assume you meant win95 - didn't win3.1 come on only 7 floppies?)

• Advertisement

yeah thats what i thought, 7 disks and windows 95 was 13 disks

Tried all that, got sick of it and format am clean install, problem solved.:D

Me throws hat in the air! :D

Mike.

you cant beat the auld format job :p

Advertisement