Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new GBA

Options
  • 25-12-2002 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

I got a nice new game boy advance for christmas, something I would of never of bought myself but equally something I am very happy to receive.

So the snatchs :

1. I got space invaders with it, I want some new games which I will purchase tomorrow maybe..

whats good for the gba? I do like rpgs, zelda was a favorite of mine on my very old gameboy and it seems to work on the new gba which is well cool. What do you guys play on yours?

2. Lastly the screen seems to be kinda dark.. my sis got one aswell (she got yoshi island with her one :eek: ) and it is dark enough aswell. Any solution to this problem? I have heard of a back lit screen thingy called "after burner" but I wouldn't mind some of you guy's thoughts on it b4 I purchase this kit and get out the soldering iron.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Games...

Golden Sun is an excellent GBA RPG which I'm planning to give a fair bit of playtime to in the next few weeks - I've only scratched the surface so far.

Breath of Fire I and II are both on the system, and are both pretty good ports of SNES-era RPGs.

Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past is out on the GBA in the USA, and is apparently a better-than-perfect port of the SNES version of the game. There's also at least one new Zelda game in production for the GBA.

Advance Wars is a stunning turn-based strategy type thing - which may sound offputting, but it's probably the best handheld game I've ever played and completely addictive. Best of all, you can play it multiplayer with up to four people by passing around a single GBA, making your moves and passing to the next person.

A sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics is on its way to GBA, which is pretty much definitive proof that if God exists, he really does love us.

Regarding the lighting... Hrm, yeah, it's a pain. It's too dark, but if you get good lighting conditions still perfectly playable. The Afterburner is a neat solution, but it can make colours look washed out. Basically, it's worth getting an Afterburner, but you may not use it all the time simply because it's not a perfect solution by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Look at a post i made a while back on After burner ,
    Its gonna cost u to get it and get it delivered , better off getting an external light .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Golden sun is a brilliant game.. one of the best for gba, broken sword is pretty good too..

The light thing is a kick in the teeth when u 1st get your gba but you get used to it, it's ok under good light conditions.. I'd love one of those afterburner things i 've been meaning to get 1 for a while now.. I have an external worm light which isnt much good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

Just like to say thanks for your advice,

I bought Golden Sun this morning up @ GAME in lisburn on the strength of the you guys recomendations, plus I read a few reviews on the net ;)

It is good!! bright, class graphics and just the type of rpg I love. And I got it for £29, a fiver off in the sales!

So thanks again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

advance wars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Am I the only one that thought Golden Sun sucked? I probably wouldn't have even played it through if I hadn't been stranded in sligo with no TV and no other games that I hadn't already beaten. I thought it had a crappy story, a dogy fighting system, and it seemed to just end in the middle of the game. I thought it was weak.
    Advance Wars is pure class though, as are both the Castlevanias(I got Harmony of Dissonance yesterday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Golden Sun... was alright. It had all the problems your average SNES-era RPG had, ie, stupidly restrictive, repetitive and hacknied, and for some reason they seemed amplified in Golden Sun. And it tended to fluctuate madly between boring and compulsive, spending nowhere near enough time in compulsive.

Still, I thought it was a reasonably playable game. Beautifully presented, too. I'm in the dark about what all the huge fuss is about, though.

By the by, Metroid Fusion, should I get it? Bearing in mind that I'm in no condition to afford more than one GBA game every few months, the length of time I'll spend playing it is my main worry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past is out on the GBA in the USA

Mr Calculator off Grafton Street have it. Breath of Fire is also worth a look and HMV are selling it for €25 I think.

Well, I do like a lot of snes RPGs, I just didn't like Golden Sun.
    I got Metroid Fusion yesterday(it's only €35 in smyths', despite what the label says). It's very good. If you like metroid, whcih you should, you'll like this a lot. I also got ChuChu Rocket for €17 in Game. It's good too, the same as the Dreamcast game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Doom is fun. Castlevania (Both of them) are a great laugh. :D

Ohh i wish i knew who could do the backlight mod for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

dude do it yourself it aint hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

if you had to get one GBA game there is out at the moment which would it be? (only need one to pass the time before i get a flash link cart for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Funky
    if you had to get one GBA game there is out at the moment which would it be? (only need one to pass the time before i get a flash link cart for it)

Mario Kart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I didnt like mario kart at all for gba, and i thought it was nothing like snes or n64 version
    best game for gba atm is *drum roll* :
    Metroid Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Most played games I have.

Advance Wars. If you like turn based combat with multiplayer options (you take turns with it).

Best RPG - Golden Sun (excellent graphics), only bad bit about it is that it's half the game/story. It ends mid-story and continues on in Golden Sun 2 which I have no idea when it comes out. Worth getting though.

Other RPG is Breath of Fire. Pretty good as well but graphics are dated (compared to Golden sun).

You can buy screen lights that plug into top. Some of them are really kack.

I recommend getting a battery charger docking station. I have two GBA's and two chargers about the house. You will save an absolute fortune on batteries and won't be tied down to plugging into the mains. This looks something like what I have. I didn't get a Nintendo branded one (can't remember the name). Basically a battery charger pack is put where the batteries go and it's got 2 charge points that link up to the station.

I currently have a GBA TV adapter still on route to me :/ But I would also recommend if you have the cash to get a GBA flashlinker -> http://www.gbadev.org/linker.html which you can use to download games (legit ones of course). More info at GBA Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by Lorax
    dude do it yourself it aint hard

Ok. Must buy solder and iron thing ;)

I was wondering what the best beat em up on the GBA is. Is it King of Fighters, Street Fighter Alpha 3 or maybe Street Fighter 2?
    Or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Street fighter 2 turbo revival , is not great .
    Character animation is the same as street fighter 2 , few new moves , Max of 6 hit combo , few chracters .

Id go for street fighter alpha 3 .

Backlight mod just requires moving a screw. However if you move it too far you will destroy your GBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Bavkligh mod ?
    Do you mean the Afterburner ? THere's alot more to do than moving a scew if you're talking about the Afterburner - you need to Solder and also cut the GBA case (using a tool like a dremel if you have one)

I've an afterburner installed in my GBA and it was WELL worth it !!

Also - on the Beat 'em up game fromt - Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper is by far the best

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Backlight mod just requires moving a screw. However if you move it too far you will destroy your GBA.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

Bloody IGN reported this ages ago as a miracle "backlight" hidden away in the GBA, and it's NOT. It's not even a contrast control as they later claimed - it's the power regulator for the GBA screen! They had to retract the story and print a hugely grovelling apology after rather a lot of people busted their GBAs fiddling with this.

Do NOT play with the power regulators on LCD screens unless you're sure you know what you're doing; and if you know enough to know what you're doing, you'll know to leave the power regulator alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

don't matter, they're unveiling a newer version in oh..erm,

about three and a half hours from now :D

i knew i sold my gba at the right time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I have tried a couple of the external lights for the GBA and they all pretty much suck, even the ones that got good reviews. The are bulky and they all leave a huge glare on the screen that blocks out some of the picture.

Does anyone know if you can get the Afterburner light in Ireland? Mr Calculator perhaps?

If you can't, which is a good company to order it from in the UK?

Originally posted by Shinji
    Do NOT play with the power regulators on LCD screens unless you're sure you know what you're doing; and if you know enough to know what you're doing, you'll know to leave the power regulator alone!

Prehaps I shouldn't of said Backlight mod. But Shinji stresses what happens better then I did.

Afterburner is the better way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

F-Zero is the king of racing games on the GBA...

Prolly get it cheap now too

Get the Afterburner here :

http://www.gbax.com

I've ordereed from them wnd they're pretty good. Xyramax, here:

http://www.xyramax.co.uk

are pretty good also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

The pre-modded backlight GBA looks promising although I doubt it will support the newer games made specifically for this GBA

I'm sure bot versions will run the same software - it they didn't it cause a lot of problems.

I only hope my Flash Advance Linker will work with the new one when it comes out !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Isn't that the multiplayer thing? I hope the gamecube link cable works with the new one too and more GBA games are released with compatability for the gamecube.

Advertisement