Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Temps for AthlonXP

Options
  • 26-12-2002 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Right, having got a 1800+ Thoroughbred, I want to know about overclocking and operating heat levels.

I currenty have it at the level of a 2000+ (1660 I think)

Tempatures are:

CPU = 46 c
    (Motherboard?)System: 51 c

I just want to know are these good tempatures, and how safe would it be to push it further.

I have a pretty good Fan which will work up to Athlon speeds of 2600+

Ive no case fan though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Your cpu temp of 46c is grand, although that temp of 54c in the chasis is a bit high, im guessing you have no outtake fans in your case, or for that matter intaking ones ?

Probably should look into sorting the airflow in your case, im sure if the chaisis temp came down you would also see a decrease in your cpu temp.

One thing to look out for is the cpu temperature when its under load... now im sure your quoting temps at idle (my cpu,1800xp is 40c under load for a while and 30c at idle, chasis always around the 28 mark.)

Btw, if that cpu starts going over the 70c mark, your chip may get damaged (although i think damage occurs around the 75/80 mark). Just something to watch out for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I have an old 235watt PSU which has a pretty good Fan.

Could i Put that in the case to help air flow or would it just heat the case up.

Ill remove all back panels to see if that helps.

I have a huge ISA Fan Card, buts no use anymore as my mobo has no ISA slots.

I wont not like to leave the case open, but if it helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

get as many fans into the thing( bigger the better ) as you can i think its running hot and that maby you have the temps mixed up as the chip shouldnt be running cooler then the temp inside your computer

you could cut holes in the side/top/back to fit them(fans) into but whatever ya do make sure there is intake and som blowing them out

my cpu temp is 47c max load 38 avg low 27
    and system temp never over 33

get mbm to monitor your software and make sure your bios is set to auto switch off if the computer becomes to hot

are you using good thermal paist with this computer ?

is ur fan/heatsink up to the task in hand ?

Stuck three new fans in the case and pointed1 diorectly at the processor.

case temp is 37 and the processor around 41 after playing Quake for about 20 mins.

I took the fansoff the ISA Card and attached them to the CPU fan connectors.
    I got a fan from a celeron and put it so it sucks air out from behind the processor.

Is my fan up to the job, it claims to work with speeds up to 2600+

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I have an XP 2000 and my idle temperature is up at f*cking 42 :(

Under load it can hit upwards of 52 :(

I've tried 3 different heatsinks from aluminium with silver paste and 3000 rpm fan to a pure copper heatsink with a 7000 rpm fan and normal thermal paste and combinations of all those together!

I know something's wrong but I don't quite know what.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to do?

• Advertisement

I took off the case cover and down went the tempature. 29 degrees for case and Processor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

My processer & temp are around the same as Cultellus, i've 3 fans blowing air in & out if the case. I'm just wondering, as those temps seem to be higher than the average but well within safe limits, is it worth doing anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Well, i used to have the same trouble (overheating) till I put a nice big 120mm fan in the side of my case (just cut a hole with an angle grinder) and now all is well :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Temperatures of low 50's under full load are nothing much to worry about. Its nice to have your chip running cooler, but if you aren't overclocking, your chip will run stable at temperatures of 70 - 80 degrees. If you think of an off the shelf athlon machine like a compaq/hp/whatever, and imagine what temp the chips in those machines are running at. They have the bare minimum of cooling to keep them stable.

Basically I would keep the chip temp at a point where if the fan fails, the chip is not going to be fried. So you should keep full load temps under ~ 60. Again a rough figure...
    Theres no point in putting in extra cooling unless you are running crazy temps, you will make your machine sound like a hoover unnecessarily. If you stick new fans in, run them on 7 volts, unless they are really quiet on 12 volts.

The reason these temps seem high to people is that they are a big jump up from the temps you would get with a p2/p3. There is one more point to note though.

On all but the newest athlon boards, the chip temperature sensor is under the chip, in the socket. At worst it is measuring the temperature of the air in the socket, at best it's measuring the temperature of the back of the chip. This could mean that the real chip temperature is 2 - 7 degrees higher ( roughly).

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Ryo, which cpu fan you using?
    and what thermal paste? (if any)

• Advertisement

Its a GlacialTech Aluminium Heatsink + 3000rpm fan.

Silver-Based Thermal Pad was Pre-applied to the Heatsink when I got it.

I have some silicon-thermal paste to spare also.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=25654&t=1622&l=3&AvdID=1&CatID=28&GrpID=5&s=pl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭mackanz

Ryo,

By looking at your system temps compared to the cpu temps, im amazed. Its practically impossible to have the cpu cooler than ambient on air. However, if i guess you have a KT400 motherboard, is that right? Those chipsets have some frying hot southbridge and capacitors. Many peeps have ghetto modded a 80mm fan blowing at those capacitors and towards the back of the case, where hopefully you have a outtake fan or 2. By doing that, i have seen up to 20c cooler system temps ,and with cooler system temps, the cpu WILL run cooler as well.

Mac

Yep its kt-400, Abit KD7. Its got a fan on the southbridge.

Anyone else have one of these?.

After a little re-arranging of the fans (Blue-tac was involved) with the case back on now, the highest temp ive seen is around 38 degrees for both the CPU and Case after Playing a lot of UT2K3.

Strangely, the Temps never seem to be much different, only by about .5 of a degree

Setup:

2 big fans pointing at the CPU heatsink from both sides

A socket 1 fan Blowing over the Graphics Card and out the back panels.

All metal covers removed from the back of the case.

Theres not really much else I can do, any practical cooling suggestions would be appricated.

I can almost bet that if you have 1 of the fans over the capacitors and 1 on over southbridge, your temps will be lowered.

Also, have you lifted the northbridge fan/hs to see if any Compond is there? I know a whole series of KD7 was manufactured without any at all and it might be worth checking. If not, get a tube of AS III and apply on both northbridge and cpu if you dont already have.

The most important in your case is to REMOVE the heat, there is no way your peripherals produce that amount of heat with all your fans around, it must be the MB or that the hot air doesnt get out. Does your psu have 1 or 2 fans? If only 1, i know a very easy mod that you can have the second fan sucking the air straight from the bottom of the psu and out at the high back. At the same time, it acts as a duct from the cpu/hs/fan combo as well.

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ryo, its not good to remove all those metal panels from the case. ( I didn't see this in your earlier post, sorry ). It can lead to an exhaust fan drawing in air from a gap 2 inches below it, instead of removing hot air from the case, and you end up with a load of "dead" air which leads to high case temps.
    What you need to do is have intake at the front of the case at the bottom, and exhaust at the back of the case at the top, and no openings which do not have fans on them. This will force air to flow over all the components in your case. Most cases will have mountings to facilitate this. It sounds like you have a whole lot of fans blowing hot air around internally.If your southbridge, and caps run hot like makanz says, you may still need extra cooling around them ok.

An extra psu fan would be good if there is no suitable place to mount an 80mm exhaust fan at the back of your case, and it will perform better than the case mounted exhaust if your heatsink fins run vertically.

Thanks for all the advice, Im quite happy with the progress ive made.

Ive gone from an inital 51degrees with no CPU Load to 29degrees after playing lots of CPU intensive Games.

I can bring this even lower if I take off the case cover, but I dont really need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ive got the xp1800(tbred) as well, running it at 2000 speeds. After 90 minutes of Quake3 my cpu was 41 degrees and my case was 39.

I have a Chieftec Matrix case.

Case Fan Bottom (intake)
    Case Fan HDD (intake)
    Case Fan Door (intake)
    Case Fan Mid1(intake)
    Case Fan Mid2 (outake)
    PSU Fan Inner (intake)
    PSU Fan Outer (outake)

And i have a xp2100 rated Glacialtach Iglooo HSF.
    The system is quite enough.

Im not big on cooling, these are just the fans that came with the case.

I have the FSB at 145.
    Is there a reason why 166 wont work with the chip?

I can use < 11.5X (default), 12X and 12.5X but if the FSB is not 133 its very unstable.

Im gonna unlock the multiplier soon as i get the right tools.

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    I have the FSB at 145.
    Is there a reason why 166 wont work with the chip?

I can use < 11.5X (default), 12X and 12.5X but if the FSB is not 133 its very unstable.

Im gonna unlock the multiplier soon as i get the right tools.

The multiplier is unlocked as youve changed it from 11.5 to 12.5

Try dropping the multi and upping the FSB

Currently ive got:

FSB: 142 (284)
    Multi: 12x
    Intrenal Clock @ 1.708.6

Idle Temps:

System 37
    CPU 36

Ive testing this and its safe, eg no crashes.

I can go any further than 12.5 so its not really unlocked.

Ill try that config but Its only like a 30 Mhz increase for me.

im at 1671.

• Advertisement

You do understand that 13x wud be wuite a feat for a chip running 11.5 stock.

Youll see more of an improvement be upping the fsb, than going more than 12.5x

Ive got the FSB at 170 now. Its completely stable.
    10X Multiplier

1700mhz in case you cant work it out.

From what Ive heard, increasing the FSB give a much larger boost in performance than upping the multiplier.

Exactly,

10X200 is MUCH faster than for example 14X143 even if they are the same cpuspeed. Memory bandwidth is what we alll want most of all. But, to be able to use 200 fsb, you need good quality of the memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Cultellus
    I have an XP 2000 and my idle temperature is up at f*cking 42 :(

Under load it can hit upwards of 52 :(

I've tried 3 different heatsinks from aluminium with silver paste and 3000 rpm fan to a pure copper heatsink with a 7000 rpm fan and normal thermal paste and combinations of all those together!

I know something's wrong but I don't quite know what.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to do?
    Hmm, I have a similar situation, but my idle is about 41, but take in to account that I have a fan on the side, two on the back and an intake fan besides the cpu fan and heatsink. was about 49 at idle when I first installed it.

However my mainboard never rises above 24 or so, Abit kr7a raid in case you're wondering..

Advertisement