Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony MZ-N505 Net MD Walkman Player/ Recorder

Options
  • 26-12-2002 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying a Sony MZ-N505 Net MD Walkman Player/ Recorder.
    Key Features

*converts MP3, WMA, and WAV files to ATRAC (or ATRAC) in LP2 or LP4 mode) for MiniDisc playback
    *compatible with USB 1.1 and 2.0
    *digital and analog record level control
    *"Easy Skip" group/folder function
    *minijack input (analog stereo and mini-optical digital)
    *mini-USB jack
    *no microphone input
    *digital synchro recording
    *sample rate converter
    *Digital Mega Bass®
    *G-Protection skip recovery system
    *Automatic Volume Limiter System
    *stereo headphones
    *AC adapter
    *playback time in LP4 mode: up to 56 hours

Anyone have one or advice on whether i should get it. I can get it for €130. Is this a good price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Well 130 is a great price.. I've the old (non-netmd) 501, and I paid €200 a year or so ago, and use it on a daily basis and is brilliant when it comes to battery life as well, dunno how I lived without it. The fact that its a Net-MD just means its even more handy for use with your pc. Definitely worth it anyway, if you're looking to replace the walkman/discman with something smaller :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

130 is a sweet price, saw it for around 300 yoyo in a local shop at the end of summer:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

I just got a mz505 and you get just about everything i expected, remote, all the cables, rechargable battery, case etc
    very happy with it over all records to md fast, quality is good and you can fit 3 regular albums onto the one md (in lp2).

The Only irritating thing is the fact that to transfer mp3 via usb the mp3's have to be encoded by the software that comes with the md (openMg), you cant import mp3s that you download or rip using any other software.

which leaves you with the option of burning the mp3s you want onto cd and then ripping them through openMg or you can record them through the optical in real time (i think - havent tried it).for the latter you need optical output on your soundcard.

still though unless your ordering straight from the states 130 yoyos is an excellent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

The only place i found that sells md's for near that low a price is the states, minidisco.com has the mz505 for 135-ish, thats the american model so the power unity wont work without a converter but batteries should be ok.

every other country i looked at sells for way more, its 300 here whereever you go i think.

The only problem with ordering from the states is that they are extremely perticular about credit cards, they wont send you the md unless you send a photocopy of the card front and back, with a receipt showing its use.I found the sites that ship internationally usually ask for this.

its a bit of trouble to go to but it could save you over 100 yoyos. .

this is my own experience, you may find somewhere that will just send it without further proof of card needed.

http://minidisco.com/minispecs/sony_mz-n505.html

www.planetminidisc.com & www.etronics.com are other sites..
    there are a good few though. .

good luck#

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

pugwall, I think thats the same one as my mates, he said he paid €279 for it, is it yellow by any chance?
    and were you see it for 130, I wouldn't mind getting a MD for that price..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Yeah, thats the one. I bought it from a sellar on ebay.com. Its brand new. I think the sellar imports them from singapore. He was selling a few at the time of purchase. Total cost includung $25 P&P came to €131. The Euro has recently gained on the $ so it would cost less today. It was shipped on the 30th Dec and I haven't actually received it yet. I expect to get it in the next few days.
    Its selling in Argos for €299. What a rip off! Ill keep you posted...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

How did you pay yer man the money on ebay?
    and I know its selling for that price in argos :(
    and whats yer mans name?

I paid by credit card. Just do a search for 'sony net md' under advanced options and make sure you change the option to 'items available to Ireland'.

Did you give him your cc number?
    or did you go to this websote site and put the details there?

I paid using paypal on the ebay site. Your financial information is never shared with the seller. The seller usually excepts this payment and it is free, fast and efficient AND secure. Before you bid for an item be sure to check payment methods. After you buy the item just follow the on screen instructions. Ill email the seller and find out if he's selling any more. Might be better to wait until mine arrives. Im expecting it early next week.

• Advertisement

Recieved it yet?

Any sign of it yet pugwall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Chad ghostal
    I just got a mz505 and you get just about everything i expected, remote, all the cables, rechargable battery, case etc
    very happy with it over all records to md fast, quality is good and you can fit 3 regular albums onto the one md (in lp2).

The Only irritating thing is the fact that to transfer mp3 via usb the mp3's have to be encoded by the software that comes with the md (openMg), you cant import mp3s that you download or rip using any other software.

which leaves you with the option of burning the mp3s you want onto cd and then ripping them through openMg or you can record them through the optical in real time (i think - havent tried it).for the latter you need optical output on your soundcard.

still though unless your ordering straight from the states 130 yoyos is an excellent price.
    can't you copy .wav files to the netmd?
    if you can there are plenty of apps out there for converting mp3 to wav, you wouldn't lose any quality this way

I received it yesterday. What a buy! Im well pleased. Its the gold coloured one. (Same 1 in argos selling for €300)

The fact that it can record long play 4 is great - 5hrs of music on 1 mini disc. And 1 battery lasts up 2 56hrs!

It comes with a cd with sony's software to transfer mp3/wav/cd etc files to an md via usb cable which is also supplied. The only problem is that it only works with windows 98 or better. I only have windows 95.
    Thats a bit of a bummer but im working on it.

I got a lend of an optical cable from a mate so im alright for the moment. Anyone know where i can buy an optical cable and how much it will cost.

Also, where can I pick up cheap mini disks?

All in all - i think i picked up a bargain:D

All in all, whats lads ebay name and email address? :D

Lenny, Check your pm's......

Niceone, I was in contact with someone already who ships to ireland, the carge is 28euro.
    or 31euro with 120euro insurance, So the md will cost around 135 with 6md discs

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Originally posted by pugwall
    I received it yesterday. What a buy! Im well pleased. Its the gold coloured one. (Same 1 in argos selling for €300)

The fact that it can record long play 4 is great - 5hrs of music on 1 mini disc. And 1 battery lasts up 2 56hrs!

It comes with a cd with sony's software to transfer mp3/wav/cd etc files to an md via usb cable which is also supplied. The only problem is that it only works with windows 98 or better. I only have windows 95.
    Thats a bit of a bummer but im working on it.

I got a lend of an optical cable from a mate so im alright for the moment. Anyone know where i can buy an optical cable and how much it will cost.

Also, where can I pick up cheap mini disks?

All in all - i think i picked up a bargain:D

Does it have a remote?

The US model sells without a remote.

I'm buying one from the US for approx $94 incl shipping, and will use an existing MD remote with it.

Apparently the software is really buggy, so the best option is to use RealPlayer with the NetMD plug-in (all free). That's what I intend to do as soon as I get it (about a week I think).

Ro

PS who did you buy it from on ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yeah, I have the MZ-N707, great piece of kit. I agree with Ro-76, the Sony transfer software you get is absolute pants. Go with Real One player with the netmd plugin.

Advertisement