Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help......cannot see cd/dvd drives !

• 27-12-2002 7:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭

Please do not give out but i think i may have deleted something out of the registry by mistake pertaining to accessing these drives. I know should have backed up reg :rolleyes: but alas did not.

Now the thing is my dvd is ide whereas my cd is scsi so i don't think it has anything to do with the ide channels.I cannot see both in my comp. :(

System properties see both of them alright albeit with an exclamation mark and the properties says :

'Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)'

Now with my limited know how i tried system file checker , but of course this does not work in Windows XP ! Thinking it may be a corrupt or missing system file.
    Next i tried reinstalling the 4in1 drivers again no joy.

One more thing i tried was trying to restore the whole C drive with a ghost backup i have but using Ghost2002 i was not able to read my backup drive that it could normally read prior to my converting it to NTFS you may recall my questions about 2 weeks ago.Is this a Ghost thing that it cannot read an ntfs drive ?

So there you have it how do i restore these two drives ?
    Is there a way of recovering the registry prior to my stupidity ?
    Or is there a simpler way of re-installing something ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated Thanx. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try running system restore.. if it is a registry problem or file problem it will fix it... get it from either msconfig or else system tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

System restore turned off.......................of course :rolleyes:
    thanx anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

LMAO,

Sorry... but this sounds like the fix your looking for Microsoft Knowledge Base:Q314060

Make sure you backup the reg before buggering it up any futher! :-P

Hope this works for ya.

Mork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

back in action again :)

Mork , thanks for suggestion but the microsoft link suggested that i delve into the registry (again) and delete a certain key. But for some reason windows wouldn't let me do so :mad:

I got my thinking cap on again and remembered i had a spare fat32 old hard drive , so i transferred the ghost image backup to this spare drive and ran Ghost to see if could see this spare fat32 drive and lo and behold there was everything including my newly transferred Ghost image , and the rest is now history as they say !

taught me if anything one good lesson though about messing around the registry. ;)

Advertisement