Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL - extra point

• 27-12-2002 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭

I've just moved into a new apartment where every room is wired for cable and
    phone - with the phone all the CAT5 wires emerge in a storage cupboard where
    the telco have wired them into a junction box.

However there is no similar junction for the co-ax cable so I assumed that
    all the co-ax was already connected and when NTL hooked me up I would be
    able to put a socket in any room and get a signal. When I tried this
    however I got nothing. Having checked the socket that NTL's engineer put
    in, I notice there is something called a "digital TV\FM isolator" in it. Do
    I need one of these on every socket, or is it more likely that all the co-ax
    is not wired up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ss_installer

In most cases, the catv (co-ax) cable is similar to your telco cable, all points are wired back to a main point within your apartment. There is a main feed from the cabinet or dp (drop point) within the building to your apartment, where it can then be split accordingly depending on how many points that you will be utilising. It seems strange that there is no catv along with the telco in your apartment. Also, the isolator that you have mentioned has two important functions - 1- to "Isolate" any electrical surges that may have entered the cable system that might in turn damage your equipment connected to our system and 2- splits the tv/data signal and the fm radio signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The CATV cable comes back to one point in the APARTMENT (meaning you could have all rooms networked with an hour or twos work) while the CO-AX cable seems to come back to one point in the BUILDING (somewhere) , probably the basement.

That I think was loyatemu 's point.

If NTL came to 'add' points...which would appear to be a basement operation initially, they would then have to add a tv/fm isolator at each of these points in the apartment as well in order to complete the operation.

These would then become fixtures in that apartment ....

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah - perhaps describing it as an apartment is a bit deceptive as its a duplex, has its own front door and is actually more like a terraced house. There are junction boxes outside for esb, gas, phone and ntl - and each unit has its own set of junction boxes.

I had a look inside the NTL junction box and there doesn't appear to be a load of wires emerging in it, just one connection - this is why I assumed that if one room was hooked up they all would be.

I know that this isolator thingie seperates the tv signal from the FM, but would I be able to get any signal at all without it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thanks.

looks like I'll have to get NTL back in to do the extra point, I just resent giving them €50 when all they have to do is attach 2 wires together.

Advertisement