Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Booting 98 & 2000

• 27-12-2002 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm trying to dual boot win2k & 98, but unfortunately I installed 98 second so 2k didn't pick up 98. I read stuff online and edited the boot.ini file (see below) but when I select it on boot up it just throws back an error.

Anyone got any ideas why, or how I could figure out what it should be. It's just 2 seperate disks.

http://tardis.redbrick.dcu.ie/452/msdn.microsoft.com

After talking to some ppl they said I should just install a bootloader, unfortuantely I can't find any decent tutorials on installin gone without already having some copy of UNIX installed.
    I've got a the Debian & FreeBSD CDs handy though, but they don't seem to want to install a bootloader on it's own.

Any ideas on editing the boot.ini or just installing a bootloader?

Thanks,

- Kevin

Boot.ini:

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98" /fastdetect

When I pick 98 I get this error:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you can still get into win2k then run rdisk and make a repair disk.. then boot off either the 2k boot floppies or cd's and choose repair and insert your repair disk.. it may and i say again "MAY" pick up 98 and incorporate it.. i have never tried it so i dont know if it would work.. but its possible and you have nothing to loose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

get a boot manager from download.com or tucows.com, u'll get them anywhere, that should do the trick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by Saruman
    If you can still get into win2k then run rdisk and make a repair disk.. then boot off either the 2k boot floppies or cd's and choose repair and insert your repair disk.. it may and i say again "MAY" pick up 98 and incorporate it.. i have never tried it so i dont know if it would work.. but its possible and you have nothing to loose!!

Unfortunately, win2k won't let me create a repair disk, telling me the floppy disks are unusable, even thought I can write to them manually. :(

Ruu: Got any reccommendations for any particular one?

Thanks,

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sure thing, have a look for Partition Boot Manager or MasterBooter :) hope it works out

Advertisement