Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translate Please

• 27-12-2002 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

can some translate this for me please, i tried to translate it on google and it came out @rse ways.

Its the 2002 Oral exam Section 1

+ Bonjour Michel. Si je comprends bien, il y a eu quelques problemes avec séjour ce linguistique en Angleterre.

- Oui, et ça des le début. Par exemple trois de jeunes Français n'avaient pas de familles présentes à l'accueil à l'aéroport de Manchester, et puis la famille oÙ était mon fils, la maman était là, mais Benoit ne l'a pratiquement jamais vue. C'était une dame qui vivait seule avec ses deux garçons. Elle partait très tôt le matin.

+ Alors votre fils devait s'occuper de lui-même?

- Oui, exactement. Il y avait un petit peu à manger dans le frigo et il avait le droit de se servir. En plus pour aller à son cours d'anglais, Benoit prenait le bus tout seul. A l'âge de 12 ans et demi, c'est trop jeune!

+ Il en garde quand même un bon souvenir?

- Ben oui ...... parce que, figurez-vous, il est allé en boîte. A cet âge là, 12 ans et demi! Imaginez! Aprés l'école, il allait dans une salle de billard. Il a trouvé ça génial.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://www.freetranslation.com/

should help you get the gist of it

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

Well here it is - with a bit of help from the above mentioned site. Its just off the top of my head, i cant guarantee that it's 100%accurate (or even 90% but hey its a start :rolleyes: ). The bits in [ ] are just comments and stuff and if any francophiles stumble across this page, please correct any mistakes!

*Hello michel. If i understand fully, there were some problems with the language holiday [exchange type thing?] in England

*Yes and thats just to start. For example three of the french youngsters had no families present to welcome them [literally "at the welcome"] at Manchester Airport and the family who had my son, the mother was there but Benoit practically never saw her. It was a woman who lived alone with her two sons. She departed/left very early in the morning.

*Then your son had to take care of himself?

*Yes, exactly. There was a little to eat in the fridge and he could help himself. What's more to go to his class of English, Benoit took the bus all on his own. At the age of 12 year and half, he's too young!

*[this isn't exact but more or less] Bu
    t he had a good time all the same?

*Why yes... because i suppose he went to a nightclub. At that age 12 and a half! Imagine! After school., he went to a snooker hall. He found it quite nice/ fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by spaczed
    Well here it is - with a bit of help from the above mentioned site. Its just off the top of my head, i cant guarantee that it's 100%accurate (or even 90% but hey its a start :rolleyes: ). The bits in [ ] are just comments and stuff and if any francophiles stumble across this page, please correct any mistakes!

*Hello michel. If i understand fully, there were some problems with the language holiday [exchange type thing?] in England

*Yes and thats just to start. For example three of the french youngsters had no families present to welcome them [literally "at the welcome"] at Manchester Airport and the family who had my son, the mother was there but Benoit practically never saw her. It was a woman who lived alone with her two sons. She departed/left very early in the morning.

*Then your son had to take care of himself?

*Yes, exactly. There was a little to eat in the fridge and he could help himself. What's more to go to his class of English, Benoit took the bus all on his own. At the age of 12 year and half, he's too young!

*[this isn't exact but more or less] Bu
    t he had a good time all the same?

*Why yes... because i suppose he went to a nightclub. At that age 12 and a half! Imagine! After school., he went to a snooker hall. He found it quite nice/ fun.

seems to be a good translation. about as good as i could do anyway. maybe one of the native french people that visit this board could correct anything they see wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

good translation :)
    il en garde quand même un bon souvenir?
    means :
    does he keep by the way a good reminder of it?

not a good promotion for students exchange with france

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by lili
    good translation :)
    means :

In English, we'd say "So, does he have fond memories of [his stay] anyway?"

dun,
    may you please tell me if my sentence in english was wrong?
    that will help me for my english:)

dun,
    may you please tell me if my sentence in english was wrong?
    that will help me for my english:)

[Could you - "may" is only used with 'I' or 'we' to ask permission]

means :

reminder = rapel, mémento
    souvenir = memory (here, in this case)

by the way = par hasard
    quand même = anyway/nevertheless/still

But we have an idiom "to have fond memories of", which we would use here.

thank you dun, i will try to remember it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭domeara01

CETAIT UN TRES BON TRANSLATION

• Advertisement

Originally posted by domeara01
    CETAIT UN TRES BON TRANSLATION

Merci (I think you meant mine?).

translation = traduction

Also words ending in -tion in French are generally feminine, so it'd be a bonne traduction. Always useful to help sort out those confusing genders.

an advice :
    keep confusing genders, it's too much charming:)

an advice :

LOL! It is quite nice to hear foreigners mix their grammar sometimes. I have to try to stop laughing whenever they say "I am exciting" / "I'm very interesting" instead of "excited"/"interested". :D

i do that too!!:D
    i wonder why:confused:
    took me a long time to not say it, but now, i think i don't make the mistake:)

Do you live on this board? You've always replied to me within a few minutes :D

haha:p
    no, it's just that i have an email alarm whenever someone answer to my posts but i'm not always on line, i'm not that addicted:D

Hehe - I missed that one til now, but you were right on the ball - four minutes!! :D

oops, i'm late:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SuburbanDreamer

an advice :

Thank goodness for that - I'm always mixing up my genders, I can't learn them all for the different words so I just guess ! ;)

must be a damned "casse tête" for foreigners:)
    and sometimes it's not very logical.
    an example :
    après-midi
    you could think that would be UN après-midi, cause 'midi' is masculin. in fact no, it's UNE après-midi:)

• Advertisement

It can be, but eventually you get it. It's a lot easier in Spanish. I also found that as a very loose rule, if the French word sounds like it's Spanish counterpart, then their gender are the same. The big exception is French "la fin" vs. Spanish "el fín".

Also according to Collins-English Dictionary, and Le Petit Robert, après-midi can be masculine or feminine :confused: An example gives "cet après-midi" in both Collins & le Robert.

yes, you're right, the french writers prefere it in feminine version but you can say the both.:)
    dun, are you a teacher? how come you know so well the french?

Gawd no, I don't think I could become a teacher. At least not here. No, I did my degree in French and Spanish.

how long did you learn french?
    cause me, i write english in forums since 2 years and i'm desperatly nulle:(

Depuis l'âge de 12 ans.. j'ai 23 maintenant. Mais je n'ai pas parlé en français pendant presque 18 mois :eek: (quand j'ai terminé mes études). Il faut que je retourne en France avant d'oublier tous!

You're so quick replying!!

hehe, and i don't do my best replying:D

si tu veux, on pourrait parler en français ici de temps en temps, cela t'aiderait à ne pas oublier:)

Bon! J'ai besoin d'apprendre plus de français moins académique - plus la langue de la population générale..

non, c'est bon, ton français est parfait et de toutes façons je préfère le français académique:)
    hem... et je fais plein de fautes d'orthographe quand je ne me concentre pas;)

Tout au début de mes études universitairs, je me suis consacré à écrire sans fautes d'orthographe, ou bien de ponctuation (en anglais - en français ou espagnol ce n'est pas toujours possible:( ) et maintenant, j'ai du mal à écrire mal - comme les SMS, je ne peux écrire "C U L8R". C'est pas une langue, c'est un cauchemar! Il faut que j'écrive tous les mots et avec la bonne ponctuation. Mais je ne veux pas baisser la langue - il y a déjà trop qui font ça, surtout avec l'influence americaine. Je suis tout en faveur de parler un dialecte ou avec un accent chez soi, mais le dialecte/accent de la région - pas des Etats Unis!

• Advertisement

lol, c'est pas gentil pour tes cousins américains:D
    que veut dire dun-do-bheal?

Advertisement