Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish Fishing in the Irish Box

Options
  • 27-12-2002 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I read on the news, that from the first of January, all European Fishing vessels, will be left fish in the box, (The box being a 50 mile zone around the coast where all irish fish breeds) if this happens there won't be a fish left in our river not a mind the sea, according to the spanish media some 200 extra boats are preparing to come in here and plunder the whole lot, this can't go on, the irish (us) are preparing to confront the spanish outside in the box. Ie. this could mean trouble, we must protest against the spanish raping our natural resources.

E-mail the E.u and greenpeace and the egits up in Dail Eireann about this.

Regards netwhizkid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

we must protest against the spanish raping our natural resources.

This fishing industry has done pretty badly out of the EU. All Irish governments prior to EU membership are to blame.

I think that If foreign boats are let in - it will be bad for small Irish fishermen & conservation.

I think the Irish government has got to make a stand. If they don't it will sound the death knell for many Irish fishing communitys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blame the Irish farming lobby! After all this was comming since the accession treaty for 1973. The deal was farmers get cheques in the post and the fishing communities get stiched up.

Essentially.

Of course since then another fly has entered the ointment namely conservation of stocks which have fallen theres no question. Trouble is the curent plan is'nt tough enough and if it were fisherman would be even angrier as there would need to be a total ban for years which would save the fish but not the fishing industry...this is nearly a no-win situation.

As regards the Spanish Armarda, well legally they are entitled to enter the box as far as I know and I honestly dont see the Irish Navy (ahem) challenging any vessels unless the Spanish transgress other laws.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

standing by tonight for the usual Irish government watered down "comprise" let them plunder with 100 trawlers instead of 200 or 2 years 60 3 years 100...crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Irish Navy

cue that picture of the man with helmet in the bathtub with minigun attached :D

our naval weaponry

wheres Vincent when you need him

hmmm, when someone tells me, that in 1973, we had a fishing industry (considering we were were/are an island nation) that was as effecient as some foreign fleets at the time I'll agree that we are getting a bad deal.
    We hadn't and we were a poor nation.
    Now we are not, thanks to the E.U in large part.
    and as regards:
    Blame the Irish farming lobby! After all this was comming since the accession treaty for 1973. The deal was farmers get cheques in the post and the fishing communities get stiched up.
    Not so much a question of blaming them,but counting them at the time.
    The irony is now they are faced with falling prices, rising costs and quota restrictions, ie, a lose, lose, lose!
    the fishing communities could only be described as stitched up, if at the time they were saying, Hey, we can borrow the money now and build our fleets...but they didn't as at the time they were a bad borrowing risk ie, no collateral,only rusty boats whilst farmers by the thousands risked their land.
    And many of them in the late 70's lost that land.

To my mind, the CAP, has always been a crazy policy, implimented, differently in each member state, and here in Ireland, it's a total folly, but thats for another thread.
    The problem with fishing in Ireland was/is a complete lack of the "cute hoor" approach to it applied in Spain.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

We should of course mention that Irish boats are free to fish in SPANISH waters.........

The real underlying problem for Europe's fishermen/women is that be they Spanish, Irish or French there are too few fish for too many fishermen/women

Advertisement