Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband & Interference from Cordless phones

• 28-12-2002 6:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Has anyone experienced problems with using a cordless phone and a DSL connection. I do not have DSL yet (waiting like everybody else for it to become affordable) but I have heard that cordless phones can affect the performance...Perhaps they also cause lines to fail the "Prequalification" test.
    Apparently these filters sort out the problems....
    Any ideas anyone...is this a real issue, where can you get the filters, and how much are they ?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

emi and rfi are shielded using techniques
    such as shielding,cancellation and twisting of the wires to cancel wires opposite magnetic fiels..

i have to say i very much doubt if RFI could affect a copper line, which has full shielding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Phone lines are barely shielded at all. That's part of the reason why they're so limited in range for DSL. If there is a problem here, I don't think it's the RF from the cordless signal though - those tend to be either in the 900MHz or 2.4GHz range - well above the 1MHz range used by DSL signals. It's more likely to be the basestation doing something to the line like sucking too much power out of it or letting interference from its internal electronics leak onto the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 aidanfagan

Just an update on this subject. I returned home from my overseas trip and got Eircom to re-check my "Failed" line for DSL. They assured me that it was highly unlikely that my line would succeed if it had so recently failed. However after removing the analog (900MHz) cordless phone) and all but one other extension phones , the line passed the test!!

I explained the situation regarding the cordless to the Eircom person on the line, for future reference, but I'm not sure that they will take on board what I found.

While I was away in Canada, I found that it is common to use filters on Cordless phones where DSL is fitted. THe type which I say were called ("Z-Blocker"). Hopefully this info may be useful!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

'Have one of those eircom cordless phones & dsl here, don't appear to be having any problems.

Course it may be interfering with the line anyway but within whatever margin for error dsl has here & i wouldn't know.

Advertisement