Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cd-rw help required

• 28-12-2002 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

ok, here's the story...

my computer is running a little slow at the minute, there may be some virus's on it and as well as that, programs that i just don't want anymore. (my antivirus software won't pick up/delete the virus's and my Uninstaller program won't uninstall the programs) ...anyways, that's not the real problem..

Ok, so since my computer is running so slow, i want to reformat, but before reformatting, i want to backup some programs etc..
    Now, i have just recently upgraded from Win98se to WinXP, which i thought was a great move until i started having problems with my cd-rw. (it won't copy!)

When i boot up, just before WinXP is finished loading, a little box pops up in the bottom left of my screen telling me "there is a device which, if continues running will cause windows to become unstable, so windows is disabling it's drivers" ..or something like that.
    The device that it's talking about is obviously the CD-RW. (i take it it's not compatible with winxp) So i tried to d/l new drivers for it but alas, couldn't find them anywhere.
    It's a Philips 4x/4x/24x ..that's all i know about it cuz it came with the pc.
    I d/led some firmware software for it, but you need a floppy disk to intall it properly or something, and my floppy disk drive also isn't working.

WHAT DO I DO?
    Any advice at all on where i can find the Philips 4x/4x/24x drivers for the cd-rw, or on what the hell i should do?

Sorry about the rant but i'm getting desperate now, I just want my cd-rw back so i can burn my cds and reformat safely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

fdisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

i dont know,
    i honestly dont know.
    i dont have a clue what could be wrong and/or the solution.
    really, im not joking.
    anyways, hope your CD-RW problem works out in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

I've had a lot of problems configuring Phillips burners, but once you get them in there great, Remove the Drivers for the drive and let the operating system use the default cd rom drivers then install Nero it should pick it up for you.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

so what you saying is, uninstall the drivers, then reboot to let windows pick up the default drivers?

I've already done this, and windows just picks up the sames drivers, which are, more than likely, the default drivers..

thx anyways... any other advice ppl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Buy a new FDD? They're quite cheap.

Get a lend of another CD-RW?

Transfer files you wanna keep to another Hard Drive?

*Shrug. Just be careful about putting the programs back on the comp after you format, they could be infected.

• Advertisement

Buy a new FDD?

what are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

try getting a lend on another hd.. transfer files to that !!
    or another cdrw as suggested above...

Maybe u could download or ask here for some proggys that u need.. im sure there are a few peeps that would kindly help u out !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

FDD = floppy disk drive, sorry.

thx for help lads, i just thought there would be an easier solution, like someone having those oh-so-hard-to-find-drivers...

looks like i'll have to get a loan of somebody else's cd-rw and use it (the trouble there lies in the fact that i'm located in Ballybay, so finding another person with a computer, nevermind a CD-RW will be quite the task..)

..wish me luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

There's a list of Philips drivers here.

Could be a case of trial and error. You could try using Nero to get the model number if it recognises ur drive. Not sure on that one but could be worth a try.

CD-Rom drivers listed here by company name.

Good luck getting it goin :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

:)
    1. Dont give up - u often have to spend ages on these things
    2. Try booting up ur pc in safe mode - this reduces the number of drivers loaded but should load the cd drivers
    3. Manually locate and delete the old drivers before installing the new ones
    4. If all else fails - zip ur most important files and e-mail them to ur self - u can then access them when you re-format - risky !
    5. Can you go back to your old ME windows - normally windows gives a "reverse" option on upgrades - never used it so don't know how it works in practice

hope this helps - good luck

buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

i bet your using adaptec software... ain't you? ;)

i had the exact same problem with my yamaha drive when i upgraded to XP

adaptec software won't work unless it's version 5 platinum + patch
    most old drives like that usually have version 4 with em

just something you could try to check out too

i bet your using adaptec software... ain't you?

yup, it's the adaptec software alright - after deleting that software (last week) , the error message stopped coming up so i thought great, simple..everything is fixed
    I tried to copy a cd with Nero, went through the whole copying process, the cd came out at the end and everything but when i put it back in, my computer didn't recognise any data on the cd...

(even using the Adaptec software, the cd would actually go through the whole burning process until it was finished and my computer (or cd players) wouldn't recognise the data)

Its the Version 3 software that i was using, couldn't find any patches for it, so deleted it - but even Nero won't copy my cd's...

Advertisement