Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting pictures to VCD

• 29-12-2002 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have 1000 photos which I'm trying to make watchable on a standard DVD player..

Nero has an option for burning to VCD, however, when I insert the newly burned CD into my DVD player (which supports VCDs), I get nada... Blue screen, that's it..

Anyone have any ideas? Should I try and create a PhotoCD instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It depends on what DVD player you have. DVD players that are able to show jpgs have kodak jpg support or some similar codec. If you go to Vcdhelp.com and look up the dvd players list. They should have a section where you can lookup your model DVD player to see if it does support jpgs. If not you can always look up other models if you're very interested to get photos onto your telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

There's a fair few DVD players out there that support VCD's, but that DON'T support cdrs. Just something to watch out for :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I wouldn't put 1,000 pics on a CD anyway because in VCD format each picture is basically a track and you can only browse up and down through them 1 at a time. If your trying to get to the last picture for example you'd have to press up 1000 times! At least thats the way it is on my DVD player, if anyone knows a better way please tell us.

I don't know what could be wrong apart from your player not reading cdr/cdrw's, I use the wizard when nero starts up, pick VCD and drag JPG's accross and it works fine on my player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

get your standard movie editor and make a movie using the pictures as segments... stick a decent amount of time (20sec) on its rotate... Output to VCD format and hey presto...
    Or
    do as above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I know on my Sony DVD player (which plays VCDs) it states explicitly in the manual that it won't play CD-Rs. I tried a normal Audio CD, worked fine. I put in an Audio CD that I had created on CD-R and it didn't work.

It sounds like this is your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

However, if your DVD player doesn't support CD-Rs it still may support CD-RWs as is the case with my Sony DVD player. It's worth a try

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    get your standard movie editor and make a movie using the pictures as segments... stick a decent amount of time (20sec) on its rotate... Output to VCD format and hey presto...
    Or
    do as above

I was thinking originally of doing it like that but can I ask you (assuming you've actually done it both ways youself) is there any difference in quality between the 2 methods? The jpg's I've done from nero are really sharp and I'm thinking that if it was actually in VCD movie format it wouldn't be as good? Also what movie editor would you recommend that will let you insert pictures in bulk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

make a mini-dvd guys
    you can have no limit on images (bar space limitations)
    make custom menus ,animations etc etc

www.digital-digest.com

looking for dvd menu creation or
    mini-dvd

main benefit over video cd
    is screen solution of 720 by 576 pal

and u can do alot more

only prob is max 10minutes of video at mpeg2..
    thats if u do want to make a video mini-dvd

Advertisement