Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood Television

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

Originally posted by Diver79
    Anyone remember Jace and the Wheeled Warriors?
    only the name. what was the point of it?
    sHep :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

oh oh oh! was that jace thingy the one, with the cool van-tank-assault machine vehicle against the bio-tankish things. that was so cool. they had a professor/psychic something like that, a kid (Jace) and some guy like han solo.
    that was soo cool.

FREAKAZOID!!
    that had to be one of the very bestest shows ever in the world. and whatchamacallit... ANIMANIACS!!
    such wonderful shows. DISCUSS SOMETHING PEOPLE!! damnit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Happy CTYI guy

I spent the best 7 years of my life watching Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, and wasting money on the merchandise. Christ I lived for that show, and Freakazoid, and Batman, and whatever was on tcc. Was Jace and the wheeled warriors the one where the bad guys only had to fire a blob of goo at the ground and it would turn into a tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

yay! thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

animaniacs was soooooo cool(and still is), which leads me to.....PINKY AND THE BRAIN!!!quality,quality programming...

does anyone remember the frutties??these fruits that all lived in this fruit land thing and there was thorny the cactus as well and the mayor was a strawberry and one time they had to rescue eskimo fruttie from something??

ooh,or this puppet dealie that i'm beginning to think i made up cos NO ONE ELSE REMEMBERS IT.the main character was this pink mousey,ratty thing and he lived with other puppets on this boat,and once they had to visit santy for something and another time they had to try and fix the hole in the o zone and the pink guy set it up so he got to go and be the hero and no one else got the credit and SOMEONE PLEASE REMEMBER THIS BECAUSE OTHERWISE IT WAS A DREAM BUT IT CAN'T BE.

that actually sounds familiar but i don't remember anyting specific about it. sorry :-/ em...does anyone remember the elephant show? that was fun. skinny marinky dinky dink, skinny marinky doo, i love you etc....it was the theme tune, shut up. :rolleyes:
    ah, pinky and the brain...hours off mis-spent youth...:p

on a different note, have you ever tried figuring out which drugs the charachters in the magic roundabout are on? it's fun. zebedee's on acid anyway and i'm pretty sure dougal the dog's on speed. the others are a little more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Feck Round the Twist, who here remembers Round the Bend? Fantastic puppet-based toilet humour set in a sewer (accessed via the lav, natch), presented by a big green crocodile thing. And it had sining poo. Grrrreat.

Hmmm... I've vague memories of this cartoon with a little girl Viking who rubbed her nose a lot... any help, anyone?

I was wrecking my brain trying to think of the name of Potswprth and Co for ages t'other week, so thank you... *looks down thread review* Green Hand Guy. Oh, and qwidgybo, methinks it was called the Smoggies, but I could be wrong. Ugly bint in fantastic red harem troosers as the main evil-thing, yes?

It's about time there was an FPS based around Bravestar, too.

em...i don't remember a chief evil guy....but it's so reassuring that other people remember it,even if only vaguely...

FUN HOUSE!!with pat shortt(i think) and the twins,melanie and ....lemonie......and that show was cool!!!and then there was another show that was in this big fake house and the contestants had to mess it all up to find keys or something and i can't remember the name of it...but yeah,it rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Has anyone ever heard of a show called 'the island of the bears'?
    There's a good chance that it doesn't exist but if it even seems familiar let me know. Bosco sucked so much. Battle Tech was sooo good! I'm still waiting for the next series, I NEED to know what happens!! The bad guy kid-napped loads of people and the main hero fell in the dust with a big ol NOOOOOOOO! I had forgotten about that thank you everyone, now I remember the story never ended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Transformers is being shown on sky one. Excuse me while I build an altar.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Shoeless Ailbhe

What about Sesame Street???? Or was I the only sad gik who loved that! Seriously, still the biggest Muppet fan, I got 3 mppet vids for Xmas.... well, i was too embarassed to buy them for me, so i got them for my little sis instead! But I really bought them for me!

And bosco, of course, was inevitable really, and then Zig and Zag and all that gang, they kicked a lot of ass. I loved Babar too. There's a film of him now! And what was the one with the people... was it the smog people or somethin?.... and the happy people who thought they were better than the smoggies? Anyone remember??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

I have to agree with Sven. I also include Marshal Bravestar. He was the coolest, he had a horse that talked and could wak on it's hind legs when it wanted and had a big bazooka caled Sarah Jane.

Does anyone remember the Tick's battle cry, it was "SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!

Oh, and thundercats, thay were cool, thay had the coolest car. Actually, it was a tank, but it was sooooooo f*****g brilliant.

Actually, there was a period there in the ninties where there were NO good cartoons, thay were all turned into crappy, politically correct garbage, the main character never had a gun, everyone else had to have a laser weapon, and no one was ever shot, thay always shot at the barrels full of chemicals or something.

PS Remember the teenage mutant hero turtles. Did you know they were called hero turtles and not ninja turtles because Americans felt the word ninja would incite their children to be violent. They have violent TV, almost no gun control, an armed police force and one of the largest and best equipped armed forces in the whole world, but they feel that the real danger lies in the titles of cartoons. God Bless America!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

of course we are hypocrites....but we didn't call them hero turtles- we called them the teenage mutant ninja turtles. (and i'd know, i watched it EVERY afternoon after school.)

On the Island of the Bears,
    There is a rabbit and a ghost;
    There is a rabbit and a ghost,
    On the Island of the Bears.

I remember absolutely loathing that, and having no actual reasons for absolutely loathing it. Must have been crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Shoe People.

Jayce And The Wheeled Warriors was the one where he was going from planet to planet looking for his dad.

Clangers!

GHOSTBUSTERS! <with the gorilla>

THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS! <with slimer>

Trapdoor!!!!!

Most importantly...

MR. BEN!

Mr Benn, you fool Sven, it's spelled Mr Benn. :D

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 3.14 trapdoor...

the island of the bears was excellent, you shut up.
    the muppets are wonderful. they're showing reruns of the original muppet show on tg4 in english most days, it's great! except on the days they show it in irish...:eek: scary...
    yes sven, the clangers rocked. ha, i have a clanger. and they're the message on my answering machine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Island of the Bears gave me nightmares. It had that eery theme song and that episode where the moon split into two moons and the whole thing had very little colour in it. It scarred me for life.

And if it was the island of the bears why the hell was there a rabbit and a ghost on it?

shut up, that's why. :p
    i do remember round the bend actually, there was a crocodile. it used to scare the crap out of me.
    bananas in pyjamas....heeheehee.

• Advertisement

Thank gods. Since Round the Bend's demise, you're the second person not me to have a clue what I was talking about. And I think the other was just humouring me. Whore. Anyway, yes, it put the nadgers up me too, but that was all part of the perverse pleasure.

Someone's mentioned Knightmare already, haven't they? They must have done.

"Rotate yourself 45 degrees to the right. Walk forward... *muffled whisperings as the team confers* three paces forward."

Fantastic.

whuh?

damnit, i set up icq and now i don't know how to frickin' use it...or AIM....damn netscape. i'm too used to explorer.

I mentioned Knightmare <but was unsure of its proper name>.

<thinks>... whatever happened to the planned Mr. BenN <previously twas but a typo> live action film?

<thinks>... Danger Mouse! and... COUNT DUCKULA!

and chloe... i now hate you you Clanger having person.

... oh and I vaguely remember the tv version of Truckers to be crap... but I'm not sure if I really remember it right.

I have a Duckula vidjoe downstairs!

There was a Mr Benn film planned? How on earth was that meant to work. Oh, and the Divine Comedy wrote a song 'bout him and all, seal of quality if ever there was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spidergal

Does anyone remember a program called the eewoks (not very sure of the spelling)? It was about these bears that wore cloaks, looked a bit like hobbits and swung from vines in a forest?

Captain Planet...he's our hero gotta get pollution down to zero....
    Mr. Ben(n)?
    Shoe People.
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Bill and Ben...bill and ben the flower pot men.....
    Bosco (I might have been hallucinating but didn't Bosco get kidnapped about ten years ago?)
    Care bears (they rocked!)
    I think I might remember bear island, not too sure...

The clangers really scared me. I can still hear those high pitched clangs in my head. Ahhh! Kids T.V. has gone down a lot apart from bear in the big blue house. Anyone know what happened to Earthworm Jim.....a hero for all time..earthworm..earthworm...earthworm jim?

Oh... yes. THAT the star wars spin off.

Hehe... anyone remember the Karate Kid cartoon? The freaky time travel one?

Oh god... there were just so many good programs. Like Darkwing Duck... and... <thinks>.... god. There were just so many. So many forgotten and lost for all time. <sigh>

Lol... boy did the Star Trek cartoon suck ass! Except that one they met lucifer... that was... odd...

And then there were two Flash Gordon cartoons.

RAINBOW!

... I'll remember the other good ones later.

Oh and of course... Garfield and Captain Star. :D

Oh and the Bill And Ted cartoon

And The Gummy Bears <or some such>

And... <thinks>... oh yeah. Bosco was kidnapped and thrown in the liffey. :D

AND... WORSIL GUMMICH <or however it was spelled>! Saw the entire collection of episodes on VHS in HMV yesterday... wow... all in complete series box sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Anyone remember Bagpuss? That creepy stuffed feline bastard gave me nightmares for years.

Here's some more I remembered:
    The Gummy Bears
    Defenders of the Earth
    Dungeons and Dragons (that guy with the bow was cool)

Oh. And I remember Round the Bend now. Well... The crocodile anyway.

oooh,anyone remember....feck,what's it called?...em...pugwall?he was called something like that and it was australian and he had a band and his sister was obsessed with garfield(understandably)..god,it was a ****e show,but it entertained at the time...

• Advertisement

Yeah... D&D with the oh so creepy Dungeon master. :p

And Pugwall, aye... with the whole band and stuff. And his sister which i vaguely remember being called Marmalade or something. not sure... been a while...

Oh wow... trying to remember all the cheesey film spin-offs.

What was Defenders Of The Earth? Is my memory THAT flawed?!

But yeah... If anyone can get me Captain N episodes they will be rewarded in undead minions! ... eventually... hehe...

Advertisement