Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood Television

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spidergal

That show was so cheesy! I vaguely remember her eating a lot of caramel bars or something, lots of eighties hair styles, plastic jewellery and illuminous clothing!

Did bosco really get thrown in the liffey?

What was the program with a lion (parsley?) and the magic roundabout - not too sure if that was one or two programs.

There was a cartoon called super ted I think - god I miss those shows.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Super Ted! CRAP! I can't remember his sidekick... ARGH!

And remember when Podge first appeared on The Den? And when Pillow Man and whatever Zag called himself used to show up from time to time? <sigh> them were's the days.

I have to protest at the super ted bashing! Granted he was a bit of a wimp but he was cool nonetheless. I think his side-kick was called spot or spotty he was a robot or alien type thing, yellow with green spots if I recall......

I remember podges first appearance on the den! T.V. was so much better back then.

Does anyone watch sheep in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Tintin.. I havn't seen that in ages, that cartoon rocked, his dog too.. Snowy.

nonono... I was saying "crap" at not remembering Spotty's name!

Hehe... there used to be Superted vitamin tablets. Taht was odd.

• Advertisement

Tintin! Wasn't much of a fan, I remember those two twins that wore bowler hats though. They were the best part!

Oh good, poor old super ted! I just realised what a multitude of semi-pointless theme songs I have in my head!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Anyone remember the Terrahawks? Was on mid to late 80's and created by Gerry Anderson of Stingray/Capt.Scarlet fame.

Can't say I remember it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

Originally posted by lordsippa

And remember when Podge first appeared on The Den? And when Pillow Man and whatever Zag called himself used to show up from time to time? <sigh> them were's the days.

REMEMBER?!I WAS SCARED SH!TLESS OF PODGE THEN!!i vaguely remember pillow man....remember the phantom ticklers?!also very very scared of them...and i have a picture i drew of the "french waiters",but i don't actually remember them very well...god,zig and zag kicked SO much ass...

• Advertisement

Remember when they released a song? I have that song on a c.d. somewhere. What was it called, anyone remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

Zig and Zag's song was 'Them girls Them girls they all love me'

does anyone remember the name of a programme that was on bbc where there was teams of two people and one person had to guide the other person through a like computerized maze of a castle. jeez i thought that was the dog's bollox. and when did that run from? that wasn't dungeons and dragons the gameshow was it *once again shows her own ignorance*?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Which brings us back too captain pugwash srl,

That was Knightmare.

Oooh! That corridor bit in Knightmare where they had to tell him to duck or jump or go left or right to avoid the spinning blades. Oh sweet CGI.

Lol. On that note who remembers Reboot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

On a dark dark street, in a dark dark house, down the dark dark stairs, in the dark dark room ... three skeletons lived! (Or something along those lines.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

them girls was a ****e song as i recall,the christmas no.1 was much better.as was "outback boogie in malaybrawonga".and the album "never mind the zogabongs".all of which i still have on tape....

That was funny bones or something like that. They had a dog didn't they? A skeleton one...

Oh and the b-side for Them Girls was pretty funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Laura

can't help but notice that nobody remembered Nellie the Elephant.
    that and barbar, mr benn, super mario, teenage mutant ninja turtles, the den and power rangers1 they were my shows... memories....

i loved that show with the twins... eh, sweet valley high. that was great too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

sweet valley high- wow- i haven't remembered that show in years....it used to be my best friend's favorite tv show when she was little.....i don't know...it was too much dyed blonde california valley girl for me to take. i don't think i could ever stomach more than five minutes of it. hehe.
    anyone else remember it?

• Advertisement

ARgh! Speaking purely from the male perspective but that twin crap was utter cows arse!

But yeah... don't get me started on the turtles... oh man...

HEROES IN A HALF-SHELL! TURTLE POWER!

<w00t!>

Nellie the Elephant! Nellie the elephant packed her trunk and said gooodbye to the circus, off she went with a trumpety trump....

I remember the skeleton program, there was a book about it as well I think. They had a dog and were quite scary. I used to think I was really brave to be able to watch that show! Ah the memories!

Did anyone else watch sooty and sweep? I think that was the name, it was about a dog and a bear I think. Or lampchop!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Sooty and Sweep rocked. Speaking of elephants, how about Bump the Elephant. Remember him?

And remeber Fat Albert? He was cool. As were the following:
    Silverhawks
    Mr. Men
    Samurai Pizza Cats

And does anybody remember something called Picture Page? It was about how to draw cartoons. I remember the theme song. It was something like: "It's picture page, it's picture page it's time to draw with picture page..."

Bump the elephant rings a bell. I'm surprised not too many people have mentioned Mr. Men yet. (Why was it called Mr. Men when there were women in it as well?). I remember Picture Page, it really frustrated me, they would draw three lines which would suddenly become a cat or something and when you tried it yourself it just resembled three lines! Nonetheless it rocked.

The muppets and sesame street seem to be a little left out in this thread. Who were anyones favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

My absolute favourites were D&D and Mysterious Cities of Gold. I would include Ulysses but it scared me silly, even though I was hooked on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

WURZIL GUMMIDGE!! that show scared me so much! and there was a restaurant in the ilac cetre that had a lifesize figure of him at the top of the escalator up there and i coudn't go up there coz i was too scared. :(

speaking of childhood trauma, i now know why i suck at maths so much. when i was only ickle, i went to school one day and wrote a 2 backwards on the blackboard (i was four or something) and the teacher made me stand there while every other kid in the class came up and did it properly. *sniff* now you know. :rolleyes:
    sHep :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Originally posted by shep the malevolent pixie
    WURZIL GUMMIDGE!! that show scared me so much! and there was a restaurant in the ilac cetre that had a lifesize figure of him at the top of the escalator up there and i coudn't go up there coz i was too scared. :(

I'm pretty sure that f***ing waxwork thing made me piss myself in terror at least once during my childhood... I mean, what where they thinking!? It was terrifying!

I just remembered that there was this show... think Saved By The Bell only cooler and not for 8 year olds... It was kinda like an early nineties answer to the question "where is Malcolm In The Middle"... but for the life of me i can't remember anything beyond it being great, being on sky at something like 7, and it being American...

Erm... the main character was typical late teens guy. By typical I mean in the whole highschool sitcom way...

Damn I wish I could remember it. :(

And... DINORIDERS! or whatever it was called! BUT IT ROCKED!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Spidergal
    (Why was it called Mr. Men when there were women in it as well?)
    They were the "Little Miss", which is a crap name. Ms. Miss would have sounded weird, but Little Miss sounds chauvanistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

stoopid waxwork makers....ah crap now i have a cocteau twins song in my head....*he's the spangle maker*...blaaargh.

and what was the deal with timmy mallet anyway?! i have to admit, i quite liked his show actually....:rolleyes:
    sHep :cool:

Advertisement