Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropped me laptop:(

• 29-12-2002 5:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Well while doing much celebrating etc i dropped my laptop about a foot off a coffee table and a portion of the screen cracked. At the moment its ok, i can still see most of it.

What i'm wondering is if the damaged pixel thing will cascade or whatever and fudge up the rest of the screen eventually? Also how much would a new screen cost? its a 14" or so toshiba screen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

believe it or not i have two of these screens in my closet because i priced one for a mate once....over 400 euro ex vat to the trade.

please post a lot more info:

need brand, model no, serial no, etc. if you are adventurous and a little handy with a screw driver, open it up and give us the part no. directly from the screen itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Alright then. Its a Toshiba Satellite S1800-814
    The model number is: PS183E-01FF1-EN
    My toolkit is in a locker in college so i cant open it up
    jaysus 400 euros is pretty expensive. dammit:) its out of warranty on the 1/1/03 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

That should be no problem. if you ring them now. Also most companys give a month onto that (HP do anyway) as a kind of leyway. You may find that they wont replace it under warranty. Most companys wont replace something you droped. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There is no way this will be replaced under warranty.. not a chance in hell.. even if you dont mention you dropped it.. there is only 1 way for a screen to crack and thats negligence!! However.. i take it you did not insure it but maybe your house insurance might cover it?

I have the same laptop and my brother tripped over the wire when he was using it to watch a movie... the screen got scraped. Not cracked and still works fine but there is a thin scrape aboout 4 inches long on it.. grrr.. i do have it insured so i must call them... problem is the small print says it does not cover cosmetic damage like scratches etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Yea I kinda thought it wouldnt be covered anyway thats why i didnt bother ringing. We tried getting it covered under house insurance but they said its gonna be leaving the house loads so they couldnt cover it or something to that effect. It is still very functional like. i mainly use it for music and dvd, it has a telly out so its grand. Does anyone know if the rest of the screen is gonna go bad tho???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

mine is for a dell lattitude cpi...its a samsung screen...would have to open it up to check the actual part no. and im a bit lazy. Your laptop sounds fairly new (if its still under warranty) so it probably wont match up.

but seriously, open yours up, get the screen part number and search the part number exactly as shown on google...you will get tons of sites in america that will sell replacement screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

If your living in the Dublin area and are looking at getting a new screen for your laptop, a company called BMS is the main repairing agent for toshiba, they are fairly decent on prices and might be able to help you out.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Gaz

Although a broken screen isnt covered under warrenty , send it in for a service to the supplier complaining about the cpu fan or some other non sense ...then when its returned complain that the screen is "now" cracked ..wtf is going on ??? etc

They will most likely replace the screen for you then.

Yeah not very honest but ...heh there big corporations they can afford it ... well gateway couldnt but thats a different story

Advertisement